IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I was not a smart shopper....

Old 12-18-05, 03:25 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was not a smart shopper....

I think I jumped the gun when I signed my lease for my IS350 last month. The demand has been so high for them in Denver that I really gave into the dealer's price. They priced my IS350 at $40,500 when the sticker said $38,000. They claimed that the wheels were chrome and it had a clear bra so that justified the price. I said "OK", and went ahead and leased the car. I put down $3000 cash and my lease payment is still $560/mo for 3 years (12,000 miles/year). My credit is top tier and I have a good income, so I don't think it was my credit that caused my lease to be higher than what it could be.

The lease payment isn't what bothers me...it's the fact that I took this car off the lot at that price. I mean, I have pretty much your base IS350. The only extra it has are the chrome 18" wheels. The salesman said I had xenons, but after I left I realized he was wrong. I visited him the next week and told him I didn't have xenons, and he apologized but I never asked him to give xenons to me.

Now it's a month that I've had this car. There's no way I can complain about the unfair price. Moral of the story: be a smarter consumer. I love this car to death, but I didn't do my research properly before getting the car.
Old 12-18-05, 03:28 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I think I jumped the gun when I signed my lease for my IS350 last month. The demand has been so high for them in Denver that I really gave into the dealer's price. They priced my IS350 at $40,500 when the sticker said $38,000. They claimed that the wheels were chrome and it had a clear bra so that justified the price. I said "OK", and went ahead and leased the car. I put down $3000 cash and my lease payment is still $560/mo for 3 years (12,000 miles/year). My credit is top tier and I have a good income, so I don't think it was my credit that caused my lease to be higher than what it could be.

The lease payment isn't what bothers me...it's the fact that I took this car off the lot at that price. I mean, I have pretty much your base IS350. The only extra it has are the chrome 18" wheels. The salesman said I had xenons, but after I left I realized he was wrong. I visited him the next week and told him I didn't have xenons, and he apologized but I never asked him to give xenons to me.

Now it's a month that I've had this car. There's no way I can complain about the unfair price. Moral of the story: be a smarter consumer. I love this car to death, but I didn't do my research properly before getting the car.
I kinda made the same mistake when I bought my S4. Dont worry about man. Enjoy your car, its AWESOME. And vow to not make the same mistake in 3-4 years
Old 12-18-05, 04:36 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I def would not of paid a penny extra for the clear bra,, because the
only reason that had that installed was so that when your lease ends
they get a IS350 with no chips in the front bumper...
Old 12-18-05, 04:52 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
I kinda made the same mistake when I bought my S4. Dont worry about man. Enjoy your car, its AWESOME. And vow to not make the same mistake in 3-4 years
Yeah you're right man. I shouldn't let it get to me.

I didn't really get THAT bad of a deal. The MSRP of the car was $38,200 before the addition of the 18" chrome wheels. The price came to $40,500 after the chrome wheels. The dealer essentially added $2K for the chrome wheels as well as the clear bra (which only benefits the dealer).

I think $1K over MSRP would have been more fair for the chrome wheels. The main reason why I got kinda bummed out is because my cousin just got an A4 2.0T and his lease is $465/mo. He's just a kid too (21 years old), so it isn't like his credit is better than mine. The car priced out to $43,000....MORE than I paid for my Lexus, but his lease is $100 less (and he only put $1500 down). Once he told me that, I felt I got a bad deal, but maybe it's a California thing...who knows.
Old 12-18-05, 05:03 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The main reason why I got kinda bummed out is because my cousin just got an A4 2.0T and his lease is $465/mo. He's just a kid too (21 years old), so it isn't like his credit is better than mine. The car priced out to $43,000....MORE than I paid for my Lexus, but his lease is $100 less (and he only put $1500 down). Once he told me that, I felt I got a bad deal, but maybe it's a California thing...who knows.
It's not a AC thing. Audi is deperate to push them out, and are making big cuts on lease rates.
Old 12-18-05, 08:30 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yeah don't beat yourself up over it. Your deal's not that bad as far as IS350's go. You can't compare Lexus with Audi, that's like comparing apples and oranges. Don't start having buyer's remorse, there's nothing you can do about it now, just enjoy the car and like others have said, you may end up buying it or you can try to get out early later on. Lexus has high resale value so it's possible after you're two-thirds the way through.
Now get out there and start diving!

Yeah you're right man. I shouldn't let it get to me.

I didn't really get THAT bad of a deal. The MSRP of the car was $38,200 before the addition of the 18" chrome wheels. The price came to $40,500 after the chrome wheels. The dealer essentially added $2K for the chrome wheels as well as the clear bra (which only benefits the dealer).

I think $1K over MSRP would have been more fair for the chrome wheels. The main reason why I got kinda bummed out is because my cousin just got an A4 2.0T and his lease is $465/mo. He's just a kid too (21 years old), so it isn't like his credit is better than mine. The car priced out to $43,000....MORE than I paid for my Lexus, but his lease is $100 less (and he only put $1500 down). Once he told me that, I felt I got a bad deal, but maybe it's a California thing...who knows.
Old 12-18-05, 08:48 PM
dang_is250
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, don't bum out. I know how you feel. I've had my is250 awd for almost 2 mo. now. Love everything about the car except for the fact that I didn't wait until the dealer had one with nav in stock. Now my girlfriend is sick to death of hearing me talk about "man, i should've waited for the nav" about every other time we sit in the car. Guess I'll just have to trade in my car in 3 yrs for a GS with nav.
Old 12-18-05, 09:51 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Thanks for all the encouraging words, everyone. I don't think I got such a bad deal after all. I'm definitely happy with my car. And yes, I shouldn't be comparing an Audi with a Lexus either
Old 12-18-05, 11:19 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

I had buyers remorse after getting my IS 250 AWD...

... then I took it out for a 15 minute drive.

That was two weeks ago.

Don't worry. You did good!

Cheers,
Kermee

P.S. It sounds like you ended up with the same leasing rate as I did. I'm in the top tier too. Leasing rates vary market to market, make to make.
Old 12-19-05, 12:51 AM
paeko73
Pole Position

I just put down my deposit for an IS at MSRP (zero discount)! Thus, I'm going to be a "not smart shopper" like you too Morrissey. I wrote "going to be" because I still have the chance to back out and get my deposit back (maybe after reading your post). When I was at the dealership, the salesperson told me that if I wait another few months, until the demand for the IS dies down a little, there might be some discounting, but then by that time, my trade-in would depreciate by the same amount whether I trade it in or sell it myself. Therefore, I would end-up wasting my time waiting. I put down the deposit believing the salesperson's statement to be true.
Old 12-19-05, 05:53 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

yeah, ive got buyers remorse as well... i should have bought the 350! either way, still love driving my 250. i dont think its as underpowered as most people think it is. i paid MSRP becuase i wanted my car when it came out on 10/14. enjoy your car, everytime you have buyers remorse think to yourself.. at least i have a 350....