IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 05:38 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
The second one, home system...you could put together a 200 dollar receiver with some good speakers for a TOTAL of under 1k and have it sound decent if placed correctly in a room. That is, not too close to the walls, good location, that type of thing. In many cases it'll blow the doors off the ML/IS350 system. Less to fight with in a home enviroment, big old power supply (hard to argue with 120v mains and 20 amps of current) with good electronics.

Percy
Well, that's my point. If you knew about this already (home system always [99.9%] superior to car audio system), then WHY DID YOU MAKE THE COMPARISON in the first place?!! What was the point of comparing IS ML to your home system (and using fairly expensive tower speakers too!)??? This is even worst than comparing ML to your $10,000 car system!

In fact, i would even call it UNFAIR to compare IS ML to the ML system in the LS430. Why? Well, the LS430 ML system is a rather expensive option (even though it is linked to the NAVI system). Isn't it like $5,000-6000 option?? (i am outdated, so i may be a bit off.) So, the ML system in the LS430 alone is at least $2500 or 3500 option (if you subtract out the other stuff in the package).

But, for comparison sake, the LS430 ML is acceptable because it is the pinnacle of OEM sound system. And it makes a good yardstick to measure the other OEM system.

Last edited by tigmd99; 12-22-05 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 05:42 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by digital_b
I am not percy and havent read further to see if someone else has said this but I can certainly name one system that is better than the stock IS system. the system that is in the acura TL is great. I believe its the ELS system with dvd-a . I own an LS ultra and I can tell you that the ELS is very close to the ML in my car.
Have you heard the IS ML system (honestly)?? Did you crank the ELS system in the TL to higher volumes?? I listened to it...and while it is good, i just don't think that it was THAT good at higher volumes (esp. with bass). I am still not a big fan of surround sound technology...i still prefer the sound stage to be in front of me........as if i am at a concert and facing the singers on stage. However, i don't have a car with surround sound...so i am probably biased.
Old 12-23-05, 07:07 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tigmd99,

I understand what you're saying to Percy and in my case I listen to stuff compared to my home system, not because it is the best, but because it is a known quantity, i.e. I know its strenghts and weeknesses. Same with video, I would compare my system to a good cinema and if I were watching someone elses I would compare mine to their system. I can be very analitical just like everyone else, but it all comes down to wether or not YOU enjoy what YOU hear. And the longer I listen to my ML system the more I like it, forget the comparisons, it's GREAT! Just my opinion.
Old 12-23-05, 08:06 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SACD logic not decoded in 5.1 Surround...

Originally Posted by fastball
I have that same disc, and it is a 2 layer disc - one is 2 channel CD audio, and one is 5.1 channel DSD SACD audio......

This disc will play in every CD player ever made in the last 25 years - in 2 channel CD audio.

In order for you to hear the DSD audio, you must have a DSD decoder (SACD player).

I have a Pioneer DV-563 in my home system that plays both DVD-A and SACD..... Pioneer had to pay a license fee to Sony for the specific microprocessors and capability to decode those discs. DVD-A is an industry standard, so no one needs to file a license fee with any one manufacturer.

I personally think SACD sounds better, but Sony is one of the most arrogent companies when it comes to proprietary inovations. As was mentioned before, the betamax-VHS fiasco (which, anyone who remembers betas knows they had better sound and picture than VHS).

Would it have hurt Lexus to ask Sony for the hardware to put in the Mark Levinson? Probably not. But then you'd have a Lexus with a Mark Levinson sound system that has Sony engineered hardware..... holly cow!
The Harmon/Mark Levinson rep emailed me that it did not support the SACD 5.1 Surround sound in the Mark Levinson. The cost to do so and the SACD market share did not make it feasible. Since most SACD's will have the 2 channel track then it will play those like any other CD. The IS Mark Levinson will play MP3 and WMA plus DTS and Dolby DVD Surround and DVD-A Surround. I did notice that the GS Mark Levinson played the SACD with more range and staging than the Pioneer ES.
Rock
Old 12-23-05, 01:03 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rock,

SACD marketshare is kinda low...but it still sounds great. Thanks for the update and heads up!

Percy
Old 12-23-05, 04:03 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Percy, I let the Harmon/Mark Levinson guy...

know about your comments. The hump at 400HZ, the Titanium tweeter harshness and the sound staging. He was very interested and said he would pass it on to the sound engineers. The Mark Levinson option cost will inevitably go up as a result.

Rock
Old 12-23-05, 04:26 PM
Percy

Originally Posted by Rockville
know about your comments. The hump at 400HZ, the Titanium tweeter harshness and the sound staging. He was very interested and said he would pass it on to the sound engineers. The Mark Levinson option cost will inevitably go up as a result.

Rock
Thai had better get one NOW before the price hike!!! It's ALL MY FAULT!!!

Hey, I know...the Mark Levinson AND Dynaudio system....FROM THE FACTORY....I smell ears burning at the non existent 1k price.

Rock, where can I get in contact with the engineer? PM me if you have info on this...would be a very interesting talk.

Percy
Old 12-25-05, 12:34 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Have you heard the IS ML system (honestly)?? Did you crank the ELS system in the TL to higher volumes?? I listened to it...and while it is good, i just don't think that it was THAT good at higher volumes (esp. with bass). I am still not a big fan of surround sound technology...i still prefer the sound stage to be in front of me........as if i am at a concert and facing the singers on stage. However, i don't have a car with surround sound...so i am probably biased.

you 'listened to it' but I lived with it for 6 months. the separation on cds, ota fm, and even xm and mp3s was excellent. I heard instruments in songs that I had never heard before. some people complained about it not being loud enough on xm but those are probably the idiots who like to blast their stereos for attention. also I was indirectly referencing what someone else 'percy' maybe stated that the ML system in the IS sounded not so good. since I own an LS with the ML I will stand by what I said.
Old 01-08-06, 04:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all/any of the stereo gurus here, what's the first thing likely to break in the stereo, amp, speakers, both? Just curious what I should start watching for (thinking WAY ahead here) as the warranty starts to approach expiration date.
Old 01-08-06, 04:43 PM
Percy

Just keep an eye out for both. Pretty much an even number of speakers/amps breaking down.

In the meantime, enjoy the system.

Percy
Old 01-08-06, 07:10 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

In my experience, it's the speakers that usually fail. On my last car, the woofer surround became unglued, leading rattling, buzzing and distortion.
Old 01-09-06, 12:26 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Are any speakers MORE suspect to becoming unglued than others? In other words, should I listen near capacity to be sure the speakers were glued properly NOW, since I'm still under warranty?
Old 01-09-06, 07:52 AM
Percy

The sub moves the most so I'd suspect that one first. Very rarely does a mid or tweeter become unglued.

Percy
Old 01-09-06, 09:56 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Percy
The sub moves the most so I'd suspect that one first. Very rarely does a mid or tweeter become unglued.

Percy

How often do the mids or tweeters or subs crack?

Also, would listening at 70-90 percent commonly shorten the life of the system, or would you say the engineers set the capacity well within reason?
Old 01-09-06, 10:38 AM
Percy

They usually won't crack. What happens first is that the coils would burn out or the surrounds start to tear. All depends on the adhesives being used. Some of the older Focal tweeters used an adhesive that was so weak that one of the IASCA competitors termed it as "molasses is a better glue than they used". But, since we're talking ML stuff, and since it's relatively new, not all the failures have been documented. Just one of the many "growing pains" that a new system goes though.

70 to 90 percent of capacity...that's quite a bit. The amp might be clipping at the peaks, causing distortion, causing the coils and or surrounds to break down. Best guess.

Percy

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...