IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A BMW driver's take on the IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 01:26 PM
eleven24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypren
You can most definitely play with the car in the way you described without ever encountering problems with the safety system -- I do it all the time. At the same time, you will never feel as "connected" to the road in a Lexus as you will in a BMW. Lexus engineers are focused more on comfort than on sport, and it definitely shows in the smoother and softer ride. To me, it's just the right amount of damping to keep it sporty yet comfortable, but to a hardcore "driver's driver", it probably won't be enough. But that's why they make the Lotus Elise.
This is the exact kind of input I was looking for - thanks! Real world driving versus that which the professional reviewers are conducting are two different opinions. Reading the reviews one would think that the VDIM kicks in on the IS when parallel parking. I'm looking forward to my next test drive.
Old 12-16-05, 01:26 PM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4CYLNDR
its funny. the only unbiased and honest reports are the ones that praise the lexus.

hahaha...you noticed that too, huh
Old 12-16-05, 01:30 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Ten Best/car Of The Year Lists

I don't mean to steer off course, but, while on the topic of BMW, I'm so disappointed to see (surprise, surprise) the 3 Series make Car and Driver's and Automobile's respective car of the year lists.

I do not disagree that the 3 series is an icon; in fact, I've owned a couple of E46s. I guess what bothers me is how predictable these mags are. I mean, here's Lexus launching a fresh, daring design in the new IS, a car that, by most reasonably objective standards, qualifies as perhaps one of the most compelling combinations of value, luxury and sportiness in a modern, four door luxury vehicle.

I don't know how many times I have read on these magazines that the 3 Series' new design, while not ugly by any means, is, nonetheless, "restrained" and even uninspired, and that the interior materials are even inferior to those in the last generation! (Also, the infamous i-Drive continues to be criticized in the press). Nonetheless, the car still wins!?

I'm not biased merely because now I own a Lexus. On the contrary, I always will continue to be big fan of 3 series and C Classes. I guess what bothers me is how the Lexus apparently never even had a true chance to emerge as a winner in these magazines' lists.

Oh well.
M-
Old 12-16-05, 01:37 PM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by jmartinace
I guess what bothers me is how the Lexus apparently never even had a true chance to emerge as a winner in these magazines' lists.
This bothers me a bit as well. Especially on things like the C&D review, where they list off a litany of major issues with the 3-series (including nearly getting killed in it) and yet still go on to give it the top honors "just because". I get the strong feeling that the 3-series has been the only game in town for so long that all reviewers are now grading all sport sedans on "how much they feel like a BMW" rather than any kind of objective performance anymore.

And my guess is that there's also a bit of peer pressure involved here, as well -- nobody wants to be the first to dethrone the 3 as the class king, only to have all the other reviewers disagree and make them look silly. Even the couple of reviews that have given the Lexus top honors have couched it in so many apologetics as to be laughable.
Old 12-16-05, 06:44 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Don't put too much faith into these car mags, they are paid royalties. Just because they say one car make/model is the best doesn't mean it's the best in your eyes, you have to decide what's best for you not the world.

I personally would rather there not be a flood of new IS's in the road, every corner I turn I see another 3 series, there everywhere. Kinda makes it less special when the market is flooded with them. The first yr E46 was a hot time to own one, but now there everywhere.
Old 12-16-05, 07:07 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

I too come from a long history of BMW's. 325, 528, M3, 330i. So far with just a test drive to go by the Lexus is very nice. Nice enough that we ordered one that with any luck will be here before Christmas. Without extensive time behind the wheel I can't really give an accurate view on the performance and handling other than to say it felt good. On a track day initially I would cut faster laps in the 330 but that's mostly attributed to being familiar with the car. Given enough time I thinck the IS would be faster. Compared to the M3 (e46) it's not up to the M's caliber of performance. Then again that's not the cars target either. The car will be my wife's daily driver to replace her 2005 Mini Cooper-S which just got lemoned. Looking forward to exploring the Lexus. This will be the first non-Euro car for us for many years. With the exception of my STi and Ford Lightning.
Old 12-16-05, 07:09 PM
Dr C
Driver

I drove my BMW 325xi into the Lexus dealer and drove out with my 250 AWD. That's about as close to driving them at the same time as you can get. The BMW was a 2002 model. Like others here, I think that the interior of the IS is much nicer. I also prefer the exterior of the IS. Acceleration? IS wins again. Handling, probably because the BMW was AWD, it didn't handle nearly as well as the RWD bimmers, so I think that they are about even.

My BMW was a reliable automobile, never let me down. I did have to take it in for new tires and new front brakes at about 31,000 miles and it was in several times for the window regulators. It was also in once when the cord for the cellphone (it had the factory phone package) wasn't working right and they have to replace both the phone (for $650) and the cord. When I traded it, the rear brakes weren't very far from needing to be replaced. I'm told that the brakes and tires is about average for a BMW.

Anymore, my first priority is that I NEVER want to get stuck someplace with a broken down car. The BMW passed. I hope that the IS passes too. After that, I want comfort and then performance, but, unlike my Ferrari, Hennessey Mitsu VR4, and Audi S4 days, I prefer not to have a really fast car because that brings out the teenager in me.
Old 12-16-05, 07:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by eleven24
Just about every article I read on the new IS mentions the 3-series in the first two sentences. I am currently the driver of a 2000 BMW 328 and am looking to buy a new car, either an IS250 or a 330ix, both AWD cars. (I'd prefer the IS350, but 300hp, RWD, and summer tires are not a good combo for living in the Northeast)

Lexus IS250 AWD Test Drive
So I dragged my wife to the Lexus dealer last night to test drive the IS250 on a cold night with slick snow covered roads. She thought I was nuts, and apparently she may have been right. The dealership was empty. I was the only customer.

My first impression of the IS is that it is a stunning car. Lexus really did an exellent job with this redesign as I thought the 1st gen IS looked too much like it was out of "Fast & Furious" and not a luxury car. The inside of the car is just what may turn me into a former BMW driver. Talk about plush sportiness. While I haven't yet test driven the new 3-series, I can only compare to my current car. The comfort level in this car, along with the aesthetics far surpass the BMW, even if the inside is a bit smaller. The IS feels like a sports car, even when sitting still. As an admitted technophile, the voice-command driven NAV system is almost reason alone to want this car. The only thing missing here is an accompanying watch that I could use to call my car to come pick me up, ala Knight Rider.... but I digress...

Once the car actually started moving, the first thing I noticed was that the IS has far less visibility than the BMW. Not a bad thing, just different from what I'm used to. Traction control and the AWD proved to be worth every penny on this night, especially when I was pushing the car a bit in bad road conditions. Very impressive was how the car pulled away from a dead stop on a snow covered road when I jumped on the gas. My BMW would've certainly been spinning its wheels, although it is RWD.

Unfortunately, when we merged onto the highway we were met with rush hour traffic. I had a few instances where I could push the car and feel the acceleration, but not enough to give a valid opinion.

All in all, I am looking forward to a second test drive in better road conditions. My wife really likes this car & I'm doing my best to be objective -- which is part of the reason I'm here. It serves no purpose to search the BMW boards for opinions on a Lexus.

As it stands right now, there are Pros & Cons with both cars. Hopefully a few more test drives, as well as some of your opinions could help my decision out.

LEXUS IS250
PROS
* Interior comfort far superior to BMW
* AWD performed flawlessly in the snow.
* Nav system very easy to navigate, especially hands free
* Exterior styling
* Lexus customer satisfaction
* QUIET!
* Costs less than a comparably loaded BMW.

POTENTIAL CONS (based on reviews, not drive -- yet)
* Handling & powering through turns. I love driving my BMW for this reason & everything I've read indicates the traction control & saftey features kick in too early and take some of the "drive" away from the driver.
* Power. 200hp vs the 330i's 255hp. Will it make a difference?
* No Sirius built in (longtime Stern listener)

BMW 330ix AWD (not yet test driven)
PROS
* Driveability. (basing this on my current 3)
* Styling

CONS
* iDrive + Nav? Can't be as technologically advanced & easy to use as the IS.
* Newly designed interior lacks inspiration
* Price
* Dealers in my area tend to give the impression that they're doing you a favor. Quite the opposite of Lexus.

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm just going through the buying / research process & thought this may help others out. I'll update as I take more test drives.
Great review and welcome to CL.
Old 12-16-05, 08:05 PM
kobechrome
Driver School Candidate

I'm an active member at bimmerfest and e90post.com because I'm considering the BMW 325i vs the IS 250. What's extremely interesting is that every other post in this IS forum is a BMW vs Lexus debate. On those forums over there - all they do is talk about their cars - which basically means that this forum is probably better for research but that the 3 series is still the "gold" standard by which all entry level luxury sedans are measured.
Old 12-16-05, 08:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by kobechrome
What's extremely interesting is that every other post in this IS forum is a BMW vs Lexus debate. On those forums over there - all they do is talk about their cars - which basically means that this forum is probably better for research but that the 3 series is still the "gold" standard by which all entry level luxury sedans are measured.
No that's just today. Yesterday it was Infiniti. The week before it was Acura with a sprinkle of Mitsubishi.

SImple fact is that many prospective owners are still waiting to get their hands on their new IS. We saw this with the 3rd gen GS just after the line was released - a wave of comparison posts, then settling down to sharing knowledge about the vehicle.
Old 12-16-05, 09:06 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr C
Anymore, my first priority is that I NEVER want to get stuck someplace with a broken down car. The BMW passed. I hope that the IS passes too. After that, I want comfort and then performance, but, unlike my Ferrari, Hennessey Mitsu VR4, and Audi S4 days, I prefer not to have a really fast car because that brings out the teenager in me.
Obviously it's not in the same league as a Ferrari (except some of those sucky ones from the 70s maybe), but I almost got an S4 before I decided on the IS350, and I have to say that neither car is noticably faster. The S4 handles better though, I would say.
Old 12-17-05, 10:48 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kobechrome
I'm an active member at bimmerfest and e90post.com..... What's extremely interesting is that every other post in this IS forum is a BMW vs Lexus debate. On those forums over there - all they do is talk about their cars.....
funny, i recently posted almost the exact same comments on one of these boards
Old 12-17-05, 10:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I think the Bimmer boards will start to talk more about Lexus( & other competitors) if more people that just bought a Lexus go over there to post why they bought a Lexus & not a BMW

It seems at least some of the discussions/comparisons here are started by people like that ^^^
Old 12-17-05, 11:13 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

shouldn't we get back on topic with his concerns?
Old 12-17-05, 03:00 PM
LexFather

That was a great initial writeup, welcome to CL!

Quick Reply: A BMW driver's take on the IS