IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Factory-Install Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 11:29 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Factory-Install Update

For those that don't know, Toyota/Lexus signed an agreement one year ago to make XM a factory-installed option (not dealer- or port-installed, which is set to begin in a few months) in Toyota/Lexus vehicles. On October 27, XM had their third quarter conference call with investors and mentioned Toyota/Lexus a few times. Here is a summary of their comments:

1. XM factory installs in Toyota/Lexus vehicles will begin with the 2007 model year.
2. During the Q&A period, somebody asked what type of volumes we'll see with Toyota/Lexus factory installs of XM. The spokesperson said he couldn't answer at this time, but that XM is very far along in the planning with Toyota/Lexus and that most of their activity will be in the 2007 model year.

I am unsure what will happen once the 2007s arrive with XM built in from the factory as far as an antenna goes. My understanding is there needs to be an antenna, preferably on the exterior/roof, for the best reception. My strong hope is that the IS will be one of the models that gets the XM factory option and that the shark fin antenna on the Japanese IS will be added to the U.S. IS (I personally love the look of the shark fin).

If any insiders have more information on factory-installed XM or the shark fin antenna please share what you know.
Old 12-15-05, 01:16 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the shark fin atenna looks cool. does anyone have any better pic of it??
Old 12-15-05, 02:12 PM
dennis250
Driver

Meanwhile we can still have the dealers install Sirius? I hate xm.
Old 12-15-05, 02:29 PM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by dennis250
Meanwhile we can still have the dealers install Sirius? I hate xm.
Yes, Sirius as far as I know will still be a dealer-install option. It's just that XM will be the only provider with a factory-install. Further, XM will also provide data services in the future such as real-time navigation updates. Those features will only be available with XM.
Old 12-15-05, 02:49 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

Interesting. Is sirius/xm an option right now? I was told by a dealer that it isn't available yet. Where would they place the antenna?
Old 12-15-05, 03:13 PM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by vp911
Interesting. Is sirius/xm an option right now? I was told by a dealer that it isn't available yet. Where would they place the antenna?
XM and Sirius will be available as either a port- or dealer-installed option in a few months. What this means is the car is wired for either, but the port or the dealer must install the necessary equipment. It does not come from the factory so equipped. I would imagine the antenna on these installations will be the same as it is on other Lexus models - a small black box that goes on the trunklid with a magnet and has a wire leading inside the trunk. In my opinion this looks like crap, especially on a Lexus. At the recent Taste of Lexus the Lexus rep from California admitted this antenna (on the GS and LS) is un-Lexuslike and a lot of people have complained. When the factory installations come on the 2007s we can only hope Lexus adopts the shark fin/roof mount antenna like everybody else uses (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, etc.) and already exists on the IS in Japan
Old 12-15-05, 03:15 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got the same thing from my dealer....
Old 12-15-05, 03:15 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

ugh, I can't believe they would make it like that on the lexus. I am surprised. That is really the only downside I can see with the IS. I currently have an 05' RL and am looking for something more fun to drive, and I think the IS350 is my choice.

But, since it is prewired - does that mean, those who buy the IS now, can still have XM added when the kit is available?

Actually - I wonder, would it be possible to move the antenna to put on the rear shelf - behind the rear seat? When I had my TSX, I put an XM antenna there and it worked just fine

Last edited by vp911; 12-15-05 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 05:42 PM
darrelld
Driver

ugh, I can't believe they would make it like that on the lexus. I am surprised. That is really the only downside I can see with the IS. I currently have an 05' RL and am looking for something more fun to drive, and I think the IS350 is my choice.

But, since it is prewired - does that mean, those who buy the IS now, can still have XM added when the kit is available?

Actually - I wonder, would it be possible to move the antenna to put on the rear shelf - behind the rear seat? When I had my TSX, I put an XM antenna there and it worked just fine
The two Lexus dealers I have spoken with in Dallas and Plano claim they do all their XM installs with the antenna mounted on the rear shelf.
Old 12-15-05, 08:03 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The "fin" antenna is for the G-link, not satellite radio. So you likel won't see it in the US.