Sports package or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 10:12 AM
Shades80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports package or not

Hey guys,
Since i live in Nor Cal, Lexus does not allow me to fully appreciate the IS with sport package..i have seen one and it was locked and sold...dealer has sold all he has, which were very few, but for those who have it..can you describe the difference between sp and non-sp. Is the non-sp with 18's noticeably different, better, cant tell??? I currently drive a bimmer with sp and it is much different in my opinion then the non sp ...much better to drive, imho...thanks for your help
Old 12-13-05, 10:17 AM
pita2go
Driver

BMW has better suspension in general IMHO
Old 12-13-05, 01:54 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i ask the dealer and they said the sp package has different springs.

not worth for the money.
Old 12-13-05, 02:45 PM
Kailua250
Driver

Before I bought my 250 I test drove both a sport and non sport. There wasn't too much difference but the non sport road a bit smoother over ridged bumps. I chose the non sport for that reason. It handles great and I am happy with my choice.
Old 12-13-05, 07:56 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the sports package comes with shorter springs, and firmer shocks, it also
has lower profile tires, (not sure if the the base model has them too)..

Noticeably different ride, the sports package does feel more jiggery over
bumps, but , what'd ya expect?
Old 12-13-05, 08:03 PM
cooney
Rookie

The "sport" part of the $3,695 sport package is shorter springs (otherwise the same springs, folks say) plus a bit stiffer setting on the shocks.

That's it -- not worth $3,695, but for no additional cost, you also get (drum roll):

• 225/40R18 + 255/40R18" Alloy Wheels w/ Summer Tires

• Bi-Xenon HID + AFS w/Auto Leveling Headlamps
• Perforated Leather Seats
• Heated and Ventilated Front Seats w/ Lexus Memory System
• Alloy Brake and Accelerator Pedals
• Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel
• Rain-Sensing Wipers

Except for the wheels & tires (available separately for $720, and apparently required on the RWD cars) and the perforated & ventilated seats (available separately, with the birdseye maple interior trim, for $1,290), you can only get these items, including the sport springs & shocks, in the sport package or, excluding the sport springs & shocks but with some other stuff, in the luxury package.

I'm a first-timer, but apparently that's the Lexus/Toyota way -- options available only in packages, not a la carte.

So the "Is it worth it?" question must be answered by each buyer in the context of the whole option package. .My decision was to pass -- I'll probably do something about the springs and shocks when after-market vendors come up with equipment for the IS350.

Old 12-13-05, 11:57 PM
pwndzzled
Rookie

Sport Package is also 1" lower and has a metallic interior finish vs wood. I have it on my IS 350.

My 325xi had the sport package and I liked it as well... the sport on the lexus is more stiff than the BMW. Good for cornering maybe, but for daily driving I think I'd probably prefer it without.

Although, the inch lower does make it look a little better, and I like the other additions that came with the SP. You'll get the same speed... unless you turn off VDIM and do some serious winding roads. :P
Old 12-14-05, 06:34 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

I am due to arrive on Valentine's Day.
With the Sport Package.It added up less expensive than ordering individual items, and as stated above, some items required the SP. I wanted the seats, the trim, telescope, etc. I am coming from the M3 world so I doubt the stiffer springs will be noticed.
Old 12-14-05, 08:53 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

You went from an M3 to an IS350? May I ask why? Too small? Too old? Bored?
Old 12-14-05, 10:34 AM
Navigatn
Pole Position

I thought about the sports package only because I wanted HID and aluminum interior trim. the other stuff like suspension, rain sensors, electronic tilt, I could care less about. Doesn't the package also come with memory seating? But imo, you will likely get better aftermarket coilovers vs lexus shock+spring setup. Just wait for a couple months for Tein to finish R&Ding.
Old 12-14-05, 01:33 PM
cooney
Rookie

Originally Posted by codex57
You went from an M3 to an IS350? May I ask why? Too small? Too old? Bored?
Your question was to QikSilvr, but I also went from an M3, albeit an old (E36) M3, to an IS350.

I've never been more ambivalent about a car than I was about the M3. An absolute blast to drive, it replaced a Porsche 944 turbo, which in it's time was considered very nice, and bettered it in virtually every way. The BMW had a very sophisticated design. And yet it spent lots of time in the shop. My sense was that the parts were very cheap, though very expensive to replace.

So when it came time for a new car, I really didn't even want to look at BMWs unless I couldn't find something else I liked. I'll grant you that I would have liked the IS350 even more if the steering and handling were more precise, but for me that difference was not that material and was outweighed by the prospect of owning a more reliable and still quite sporty car.

Of course I'm 11 years older than when I bought the M3, and I'm sure that had something to do with the decision to get the IS350.
Old 12-14-05, 02:51 PM
Vjammin
Driver School Candidate

I'd go with the sport package if you're not too big on putting aftermarket parts on your car. I personally don't wanna deal too much with aftermarket stuff and would prefer to have everything from the dealer. May come out to be a bit more expensive but safer imo. I also think the wood trim looks horrible with the aluminum look around the radio. On the other hand I would rather have the illuminated scuff plates that the sport package doesn't have. It's all a matter of caring about modding your car afterwards. I'm sure they will have the wood-->alluminum soon and you could always put some coilovers afterwards.
Old 12-14-05, 07:10 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pwndzzled
Sport Package is also 1" lower and has a metallic interior finish vs wood. I have it on my IS 350.

My 325xi had the sport package and I liked it as well... the sport on the lexus is more stiff than the BMW. Good for cornering maybe, but for daily driving I think I'd probably prefer it without.

Although, the inch lower does make it look a little better, and I like the other additions that came with the SP. You'll get the same speed... unless you turn off VDIM and do some serious winding roads. :P
I think its only a .5 inch drop. Good enough for me.