IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why buy the IS over the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 07:04 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Solara made me double look yesterday.......The front and rear ends are very similar to the IS......I'm not a Toyota or Lexus guy yet, but at first glance I was hoping it was the IS....I've only seen 2 in the past couple of months.
Old 12-17-05, 07:26 AM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

I, too, am balancing the factors between an IS 250 manual and a TL manual. I have driven the TL 6 speed, but all I've driven thus far with the IS 250 is an AWD automatic. I've come to a few fine points of conclusion, which are probably all subjective, which in the end it's all about what you like anyway.....

1. The TL is definitely more sporty (unless you opt for the $3700 sport package on the IS, which would then give you offset summer only 18" tires which you would need winter tires for - the TL has 17" all season tread, but it's suspension is more tightly tuned).

2. The IS is much more attractive looking - those sensual L-finesse curves are just beautifull, not that the TL is ugly - in fact I think it's very sharp, just that the IS is moreso.

3. While you don't get the first class service at an Acura dealer that you do at a Lexus dealer, the quality of the cars I think are very similar. I find some of the posts knocking Acura's quality a bit disconcerning..... Acura hold it's resale just as well as Lexus, and you can easily get 200,000 miles out of either of them.

4. That keyless ignition is just friggin cool
Old 12-17-05, 07:29 AM
brian92873
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the TL for quite a long time, studying many of the posts on Acurazine for many months, a FANTASTIC forum btw) While I agree that the TL is a wonderful value, it does have its share of issues (what car doesn't?) Things that worried me:

*Interior: Several complaints about the quality of the leather and plastics. Dashboard plastics have split in several owners cars. Numerous complaints about wrinkled "butt printed" drivers seats. Many complaints about ill-fitting glove box, some have noted that while almost identical to the honda accord's glove box, there seem to be gaps around the glove box that don't occurr in the accord...some have speculated that Acura got lazy and forced the glove box design (among others) into the TL.

*Build Quality: 2 simple facts. The IS350 is built in Japan. The Acura TL is built in Ohio. Not slamming US build quality but i was a disappointed when i found this out as i thought i was looking at a japanese built luxury car...i was wrong. (Although, if you *do* end up going with a TL i understand there are deals to be had in Ohio if you are willing to place an order and travel there to pick it up) The RL btw, is built in japan.

*FWD: To true driving enthusiasts (which i will admit i am certainly no expert beyond the C&D articles that i read) a lot of enthusiasts complain about the FWD of the car. 270 (255 SAE) hp is too much power to be pushed to the front wheels of the car, resulting in torque steer.

*They're on every street corner now: I've seen people on this forum AND on the acurazine forum notice this, it seems that everyone and their mother is driving a TL! Nothing wrong with that i guess, but kind of annoying if i were purchasing the car.

*Starting to age: Is it just me or are the TL's starting to look like the previous generation Accords? Even the Accords seem to have a bit more exterior styling than the TL now...its also late in the lifecycle of this model...probably a refreshed "Type S" (some speculating AWD and 300hp) for 2006, with a complete redesign in 07 or 08.

*Customer Service: Take a look at the Acurazine forum--a lot of unhappy customers with customer service.

Bottom line, i *still* think the TL is a fantastic car. I was days away from making the decision to buy one myself. The IS350 is in a totally different price range in my opinion...seems to me that tif you were deciding between an is350 and an acura sedan, you may want to look at the RL?

Last edited by brian92873; 12-17-05 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-17-05, 08:44 AM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brian92873
I looked at the TL for quite a long time, studying many of the posts on Acurazine for many months, a FANTASTIC forum btw) While I agree that the TL is a wonderful value, it does have its share of issues (what car doesn't?) Things that worried me:

*Interior: Several complaints about the quality of the leather and plastics. Dashboard plastics have split in several owners cars. Numerous complaints about wrinkled "butt printed" drivers seats. Many complaints about ill-fitting glove box, some have noted that while almost identical to the honda accord's glove box, there seem to be gaps around the glove box that don't occurr in the accord...some have speculated that Acura got lazy and forced the glove box design (among others) into the TL.

*Build Quality: 2 simple facts. The IS350 is built in Japan. The Acura TL is built in Ohio. Not slamming US build quality but i was a disappointed when i found this out as i thought i was looking at a japanese built luxury car...i was wrong. (Although, if you *do* end up going with a TL i understand there are deals to be had in Ohio if you are willing to place an order and travel there to pick it up) The RL btw, is built in japan.

*FWD: To true driving enthusiasts (which i will admit i am certainly no expert beyond the C&D articles that i read) a lot of enthusiasts complain about the FWD of the car. 270 (255 SAE) hp is too much power to be pushed to the front wheels of the car, resulting in torque steer.

*They're on every street corner now: I've seen people on this forum AND on the acurazine forum notice this, it seems that everyone and their mother is driving a TL! Nothing wrong with that i guess, but kind of annoying if i were purchasing the car.

*Starting to age: Is it just me or are the TL's starting to look like the previous generation Accords? Even the Accords seem to have a bit more exterior styling than the TL now...its also late in the lifecycle of this model...probably a refreshed "Type S" (some speculating AWD and 300hp) for 2006, with a complete redesign in 07 or 08.

*Customer Service: Take a look at the Acurazine forum--a lot of unhappy customers with customer service.

Bottom line, i *still* think the TL is a fantastic car. I was days away from making the decision to buy one myself. The IS350 is in a totally different price range in my opinion...seems to me that tif you were deciding between an is350 and an acura sedan, you may want to look at the RL?
And there are twice as many happy and satisfied TL owners on honda-acura.net. I understand no car is perfect.

Also, I am comparing the TL to the IS 250, not the 350 (mainly because you can't get a manual transmission on the 350, and I will not own an automatic). The 350 is more aimed at a BMW 330, where as the TL and IS 250 are aimed at the BMW 325.

I'm not here trying to defend Acura, I just think some of you don't give it the credit it deserves. You take the dealer experience out of the equation (which I always do - so long as I get the car for the right price, I could care less if the dealers are ****** or give me hot cocoa and a back rub every time I have the oil changed) and Lexus vehicles are ahead of Acura, but not by such a wide margin.... they aren't Cadillacs

Seems like some of you are putting Acura in the same boat as Cadillac..... and I think we'd all agree that's not the case.
Old 12-17-05, 09:03 AM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Best navigation system. Ever. Hands down.
I don't agree. My coworker bought an 05 TL in August and I just bought an IS250 AWD in late November. The resolution difference alone makes the TL Nav look like crap. Not to mention it never finds POI's nearby- always saying the closest whatever is 296 miles away or something like that. Maybe I've taken the time to learn the IS's system better than my coworker with the TL- either way everytime we go to lunch with the TL I'm glad I bought the IS
Old 12-17-05, 09:13 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
There are no Toyota equivalents of the new IS & all new Lexus from now on, a Lexus will be a Lexus world wide.
It's still made by Toyota.
Old 12-17-05, 09:18 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Personally, I'd take the IS350 over the TL for many of the reasons already stated in this thread. RWD is more fun to drive (push vs. pull). But...it sounds like the primary driver of this car is your wife. If I was married I'd probably sleep better at night knowing my wife was in a FWD car (or AWD IS250), especially in harsh weather (rain, snow, etc.). I really think that would be my deciding factor - the deal breaker. Get the TL.

Last edited by SDLexus; 12-17-05 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-17-05, 09:51 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I'm in SoCal.......and windy curvy roads are MIA around here..........No rain or snow..........Still think the TL is better for me>?
Old 12-17-05, 10:06 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Originally Posted by terp05
I don't agree. My coworker bought an 05 TL in August and I just bought an IS250 AWD in late November. The resolution difference alone makes the TL Nav look like crap. Not to mention it never finds POI's nearby- always saying the closest whatever is 296 miles away or something like that. Maybe I've taken the time to learn the IS's system better than my coworker with the TL- either way everytime we go to lunch with the TL I'm glad I bought the IS
Funny you say that, I had a 2004 TSX w/Navi and traded it for the 350...I noticed the resolution difference right when I got in the car & not only did my Nav go COMPLETELY off course (I would be driving down a main road & it would look like the car was driving on the other side of town..) it wouldn't find anything close, always 200-300 miles away! It was a nice car, but I really fell for the 350..It's a damn beast of a car.

And, no, Toyota dealers cannot do warranty work on Lexus vehicles. I work at a Toyota Dealership...(asked my service manager) We can only service them.
Old 12-17-05, 12:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLexus
It's still made by Toyota.
nop it's made by lexus now. lexus is now a separate entity
Old 12-17-05, 01:07 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
Lexus is a separate entity like Air Jordan is a separate entity They're both divisions/sub divisions of a larger corporate entity - Toyota and Nike respectively.

Hey, whatever makes you feel better about your purchase.
Old 12-17-05, 01:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLexus
Lexus is a separate entity like Air Jordan is a separate entity They're both divisions/sub divisions of a larger corporate entity - Toyota and Nike respectively.
Mercedes & Chrysler are now divisions/subdivisions of a larger corporate entity - Daimler Chrysler, so I guess a Mercedes is a Chrysler & a Chrysler is a Mercedes ?

Same for Ford with Aston Martin & Jaguar etc ,etc. . . .
Old 12-17-05, 01:20 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

not really. Toyota is now just a parent company, much like GM to Chevy, Chrysler to Benz.
Old 12-17-05, 01:21 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unit74
I'm in SoCal.......and windy curvy roads are MIA around here..........No rain or snow..........Still think the TL is better for me>?
SoCal gets rain and the drivers here aren't the brightes when it rains. Remember, it's not so much how well you or your wife drives, more-so how the people around you drive. Defensive/evasive maneuvers are a must here on wet roads. Unless you're considering the AWD 250 I'd get the TL for your wife.

Sounds like you're the who has their heart set on the IS. You said your wife prefers the TL and that she will be the primary driver. I trust that both of you have test-driven both vehicles already. So again, yes, in SoCal, knowing how people here drive in the rain I would get the TL for your wife. Now stop being selfish and get your wife what she really wants

One last thing that's worth mentioning again, The back seat in the new IS is worthless for adults; it's just as bad as my 1st gen (the TL has more room in the back). Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase. They're both very good cars.
Old 12-17-05, 01:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Ah, nevermind, if it's made by Toyota, it's a good thing.

Quick Reply: Why buy the IS over the TL?