IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone else notice "pinched" window trim on their new IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 06:41 PM
Global350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else notice "pinched" window trim on their new IS?

Hi there!

Maybe it's just my car, but I was wondering if anyone else might have discovered a similar issue. While washing my car last week, I noticed that the upper window trim/molding on the left rear window wasn't quite uniform. Upon closer inspection, there are two spots where the molding is "pinched", or pressed up in its groove. At first I thought someone tried to break in by prying at the molding or something. Then I realized, that's the spot where the dealer clips the key box to the car. So the metal clip from the key box must have been the cause. I tried pulling the trim back down, with no luck. It's a pretty hard plastic material which seems to have taken on the shape of the key clip quite well. Has anyone else noticed this on their cars? Any ideas on how best to fix this other than just pulling at it with a screwdriver bit by bit?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-05, 06:47 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you take a picture of it? I might have noticed the same thing on my GS.
Old 12-05-05, 07:55 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Global350
Hi there!

Maybe it's just my car, but I was wondering if anyone else might have discovered a similar issue. While washing my car last week, I noticed that the upper window trim/molding on the left rear window wasn't quite uniform. Upon closer inspection, there are two spots where the molding is "pinched", or pressed up in its groove. At first I thought someone tried to break in by prying at the molding or something. Then I realized, that's the spot where the dealer clips the key box to the car. So the metal clip from the key box must have been the cause. I tried pulling the trim back down, with no luck. It's a pretty hard plastic material which seems to have taken on the shape of the key clip quite well. Has anyone else noticed this on their cars? Any ideas on how best to fix this other than just pulling at it with a screwdriver bit by bit?

Thanks!
if it bugs you make the dealer replace the molding. they will.
Old 12-06-05, 05:31 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Hi there!

Thanks!
I have something similar on the lower rear passenger door (on the car side of the molding)--no biggie--these doors have triple seals.
Old 12-06-05, 06:43 AM
isdsms
Driver

Hi there!

Thanks!
Same here. It appears that it is designed that way.
Old 12-06-05, 03:07 PM
Global350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckb
if it bugs you make the dealer replace the molding. they will.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to just fix it myself or live with it since the dealer is a *bit* far from where I live. It's no big deal, not really noticeable and since it doesn't affect the integrity of the seal, should be okay.