IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

1,000 mile checkup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 02:12 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1,000 mile checkup?

When I picked up my car, my salesperson said, give me a call when you get to 1,000 miles, and we will bring your car in for a quick checkup to make sure everything is working like it should. Well, I've been trying to call the salesperson for about a week and haven't gotten any response, but I talked to the sales manager today, and HE said you don't need to bring it in until 3,000 miles, which is the first scheduled oil change.

Has anyone heard about this 1,000 mile checkup thing? When is everyone going to bring in their car for the first servicing?

On an unrelated note, I also asked for someone in the parts department, to talk about winter/all-season tires. The guy said, well, all Lexus cars come with all-seasons. I said, no, I have had my IS350 for a month now, and it comes with 18" summer/sports. He said, oh, well... I'll see what I can do. Maybe not the most knowledgeable parts guy.

This is Lexus of Manhattan - I've heard bad things about their service department before. Anyone know of someone good I could get in touch with around here - either at that dealership or another? Thanks!
Old 12-05-05, 02:16 PM
hashs99
Driver

i thought the first oil change is at 5k miles
Old 12-05-05, 02:27 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus used to have a 1,000 mile check....

but that was discontinued last year. I guess some habits are hard to break.....Your first oil change is at 5,000 miles and is no charge. The IS350 is so new that the parts guy hasn't been trained on it yet unless he is an unusual case. There are other threads that answer your question about Winter tires. Gslaveds, Blizzaks and Hakepelitas are all very good Snow specific tires. !7's would be a little taller and a slight advantage but you would have to buy a set of 17" rims too. Then there is the tire pressure sensors which are expensive little devils. I wish Lexus would have specified All Season high performance tires for the Eastern region but that is another story....

Keep your VDIM on!

Rock
Old 12-05-05, 03:05 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^like they said.

On a related know, I graduated from "asking the dealership" to "telling the dealership."

It's not my business to run their business but it's my car and they'll service it and take care of it on my schedule right or wrong.

And I know my schedule is right...but I get the facts first [from wherever].

And it makes for a smoother easier relationship with a car dealership because if some of you are like me, it's really painful to have to listen to lies and incorrect statements, and that just so ruins the trust....

The only thing the dealership can do for me is fix or repair something that I've broken, that's about it.
Old 12-05-05, 04:50 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Kind of on a side note, my dealer told me that I could go to Toyota for my oil changes and only pay $20 instead of $100. He said that Toyota has to use genuine Lexus parts and oil, liability issue i guess. Can anyone verify that?
Old 12-06-05, 01:32 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Also.. don't most people recommend getting your first oil changed at 1000 due to the engine being so new that there's bound to be rough shavings in it? I'm about to hit that mark and I'm wondering where I should bring my car in for a change.. Should I bring it straight to Lexus, and will they do it if I request them to even tho the scheduled one is at 5k?
Old 12-06-05, 01:49 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

JM Lexus in FL still does the 1K mi check up, I took mines in two weeks ago.
Old 12-06-05, 05:05 AM
berg7445
Rookie

What did the 1K checkup at JM consist of? Mine is supposed to go in a couple of weeks for tint and I might look into that.
Old 12-06-05, 05:29 AM
AntLexus
Rookie

my salesman told me to come in at 1k...this is from pohanka lexus in chantilly, va
Old 12-06-05, 07:36 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The 1,000 mile check was....

a fluid check and a car wash. It also was an opportunity to get acquainted with the Service Dept. The first oil change is at 5,000 miles which is no charge. The 1,000 mile check has been replaced by the Lexus Personalized Settings which can be done at anytime in the first year. You can customize the body electronics (C-Best) features to your preferences. There are 15 items on the LPS list and some that are not listed like the turning off of Daytime Running Lights if desired. It never hurts to check your fluids but there is no 1,000 mile check anymore. There is no ATF dipstick if you are trying to find it. No power steering fluid either as it's electric. That leaves oil, coolant, brake fluid and windshield washer solvent. When the temperature drops suddenly in the Winter your tire pressure warning light may come on. Check the pressures and add air as necessary. If one tire is a lot lower than the others then further inspection is needed.

Rock
Old 12-06-05, 07:48 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Toyota is the parent company of Lexus...

Originally Posted by Payam
Kind of on a side note, my dealer told me that I could go to Toyota for my oil changes and only pay $20 instead of $100. He said that Toyota has to use genuine Lexus parts and oil, liability issue i guess. Can anyone verify that?
and Toyota dealerships can be used as an emergency backup for repair. Conversely Lexus dealers can work on Toyotas too. If it is a warranty paid service like the 5K then you should go to a Lexus dealer unless you want to pay for it out of your pocket. The new IS engines have a new oil filter element. The IS250 AWD filter change is a little different procedure than the IS350. These engines don't exist in the Toyota lineup so even though a tech could probably handle it they might not be familiar with it either so my advice is to take it to your Lexus dealer for oil changes. There isn't anything like an official Lexus oil and most dealerships use bulk 5W 30. Some owners like the Mobil 1fully synthetic and pay a little more...

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 12-06-05 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 08:32 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Rock, that is great info. I'm not sure why my salesman told me to come back in at 1,000 miles. I would say "old habits die hard", except he's only been working there for a few months! Do you know when Lexus stopped doing the 1,000 mile checkup? Oh well, it's too bad, since I could use a free carwash.
Old 12-06-05, 09:19 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The 1,000 mile check was discontinued..

in the 2005 model year. Dealerships have their own carwash policy where they will wash it for free anytime or on the weekend or just when you are getting a service performed. This is a great perk to have and a good thing to clarify when you purchase your Lexus. If a dealership out there wants to give you a 1,000 mile check and a wash then take advantage of it if you have the time. It just isn't Lexus maintenance policy anymore and not required or paid for by Lexus.
Old 12-06-05, 09:34 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockville
in the 2005 model year. Dealerships have their own carwash policy where they will wash it for free anytime or on the weekend or just when you are getting a service performed. This is a great perk to have and a good thing to clarify when you purchase your Lexus. If a dealership out there wants to give you a 1,000 mile check and a wash then take advantage of it if you have the time. It just isn't Lexus maintenance policy anymore and not required or paid for by Lexus.
So u mean i can bring my new IS to any Lexus dealer in the country and they will wash it for free? Or just the Lexus dealer where i purchased the car?
Old 12-06-05, 09:36 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

I need a little clarification before I get too excited about this. Are you saying that the dealership (does it have to be the one you bought it from; and does it depend on the dealerships) will wash you car for free anytime even when you are not getting a service performed?

sorry for asking the same exact question the previous post had- must have been writing the post at the same time.....

Last edited by brewkp4; 12-06-05 at 09:42 AM. Reason: just because

Quick Reply: 1,000 mile checkup?