Dealer made ~$4K error in my favor??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 09:20 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skingsland
Do you honestly think they'll care?

One of the funniest parts of this experience, is that he kept telling me that I needed to trust him and the dealership a lot more. As I kept (politely) asking questions to "trust but verify", he got increasingly upset and angry at me. But at the same time, he kept getting my name wrong (happened at least 4 times). So he'd say "well Chris, if you can't learn to trust us I don't think we're going to be able to do business." Me: "my name's not Chris."
I never heard of an experience like yours. I've purchased 5 Lexus vehicles from the same dealership and, while the negotiation experience was sometimes "involved", I never once had cause to question the competence or behavior of the salesman. Based on what you've written about your experience I would say that a "bait and switch" tactic is being used. In other words, the salesman wanted to "lock" you into a special order and so he misquoted you the price. You have the salesman's name on a "piece of paper" that states the price you were quoted. Is that a contract? Maybe; maybe not. Maybe it's just an "offer", but not an "acceptance". It has always been my experience in buying cars that the price I negotiate with the salesman had to be ratified by a manager at the dealership. In this connection, be prepared for the dealership to raise such a claim in your case, or retort that the salesman lacked the requisite authority to agree to that price. You have some leverage that you could use if such an event were to occur though. You can say that you "detrimentally relied" on the salesman's assertion of price to the extent that you gave this dealership a deposit, as opposed to going to another dealer. In this connection, you also should state that the fact you had the salesman write-down and sign his name to the price he quoted was because you found it so incredulous, and that you gave the salesman every opportunity to correct his assertion. My advice would be to "have some fun" with these folks, since you're already prepared for the worse-case scenario. Also, pray that the salesman has been fired by the time your car arrives.
Old 12-05-05, 09:23 AM
heyheyhey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT PAY DEPOSIT with a check.... REFUSE.... or MAKE sure you GET IN WRITING that the deposit is FULLY refundable if you decide not to buy the car there. I paid a deposit at lindsay lexus in alexandria with a check and they said because i bought the car somewhere else (because they got it to me faster) they won't refund my check until they sell the car that was allocated to me. Took almost a month.
Old 12-05-05, 09:29 AM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I never heard of an experience like yours. I've purchased 5 Lexus vehicles from the same dealership and, while the negotiation experience was sometimes "involved", I never once had cause to question the competence or behavior of the salesman. Based on what you've written about your experience I would say that a "bait and switch" tactic is being used. In other words, the salesman wanted to "lock" you into a special order and so he misquoted you the price. You have the salesman's name on a "piece of paper" that states the price you were quoted. Is that a contract? Maybe; maybe not. Maybe it's just an "offer", but not an "acceptance". It has always been my experience in buying cars that the price I negotiate with the salesman had to be ratified by a manager at the dealership. In this connection, be prepared for the dealership to raise such a claim in your case, or retort that the salesman lacked the requisite authority to agree to that price. You have some leverage that you could use if such an event were to occur though. You can say that you "detrimentally relied" on the salesman's assertion of price to the extent that you gave this dealership a deposit, as opposed to going to another dealer. In this connection, you also should state that the fact you had the salesman write-down and sign his name to the price he quoted was because you found it so incredulous, and that you gave the salesman every opportunity to correct his assertion. My advice would be to "have some fun" with these folks, since you're already prepared for the worse-case scenario. Also, pray that the salesman has been fired by the time your car arrives.
Well, what if I got a copy of the purchase order when I gave him my deposit check, and had the general sales manager sign it? Do you think that would be enough to hold them to the price?
Old 12-05-05, 09:48 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Well, what if I got a copy of the purchase order when I gave him my deposit check, and had the general sales manager sign it? Do you think that would be enough to hold them to the price?
yes, that would be binding.
Old 12-05-05, 09:53 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that happened and it were me, I definitely would hold them to that price.
Old 12-05-05, 10:27 AM
skingsland
Driver

Here are some of the things he told me, which I suspect are false:

1) That the preferred accessory package is put on ALL IS 350s by the factory, and even if you special order you can't have it removed. (Isn't this just cargo net, wheel locks and a trunk mat?)

2) That ALL Lexus dealers in the country will only take a check for a special order deposit, not a credit card. This directly conflicts with what 2 other dealers have told me.

3) That Lexus is DECREASING production of IS 250s and 350s. When I told him I had heard just the opposite -- that Lexus was increasing production to match the demand -- he said where did you hear that, an internet chat room or a msg board? "Who are you gonna believe, my Lexus Rep or some person on the Internet?" (exact quote)

He used this last piece to claim that pricing will probably never come down from MSRP for IS 350s. I said another dealer had offered me $1000 off a special order already. He came back and said: "I just talked to the sales manager, and he told me that that other dealer is going to order your car, then not tell you when it comes in and try to sell it for MSRP. If they do, they'll order you another one, and you'll keep waiting until they can't sell it anymore, then they'll call you and tell you it's in." I said in my best fake sincerity voice "wow, I can't believe a LEXUS dealer would do such a thing!" Him: "Yup, but THIS dealership would never DREAM of doing that to a customer."

Oh, and I almost forgot the best one!!

4) No bank, dealership or financial organization will give someone a loan for a car more than 6 years old; and most won't offer financing on a car exactly 6 years old (my trade-in is a 2000 model year). I would be shocked if this was the case.
Did he have any of this stuff correct?

Last edited by skingsland; 12-05-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 10:41 AM
skingsland
Driver

4) No bank, dealership or financial organization will give someone a loan for a car more than 6 years old; and most won't offer financing on a car exactly 6 years old (my trade-in is a 2000 model year). I would be shocked if this was the case.
Did he have any of this stuff correct? I just called my credit union, and they'll finance anything 7 years old or less.
OK, I just verified #4 -- he was pretty close to the truth on this one. My bank (BB&T) will only finance cars 6 years old or less. My credit union will do 7 years old (so until the end of this month, they'll give me a loan for a 1998 model year car).
Old 12-05-05, 12:51 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Id say go for it but make sure your deposit is refundable incase you get the wrong car.
Old 12-05-05, 01:09 PM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Id say go for it but make sure your deposit is refundable incase you get the wrong car.
Yeah, they won't refund your deposit unless they order the car wrong.
Old 12-05-05, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, what an ***..... i would just 'take up the offer" and make him give you proofs pf the order, and then pay cc. tell him you called the dealership and they said it's ok to take cc, and ask him to give you perfectly good reasons why they only take check, when the deposit is completely refundable anyway
Old 12-05-05, 02:35 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Did he have any of this stuff correct?
Although the preferred accessory package is technically optional, most, if not all, of the vehicles are equipped with it (it's such a small sum compared to the total cost of the vehicle anyway, compared to 500-1000 dollar for cosmetic items like gold emblems or pinstripes. Don't lose sleep over this one). The rest of the stuff he told you is mostly BS; however, if you can hold him to that price with a contract, I would still go through with the deal. You can always go to another dealership for service if you're not happy with this one.
Old 12-05-05, 02:46 PM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
Although the preferred accessory package is technically optional, most, if not all, of the vehicles are equipped with it (it's such a small sum compared to the total cost of the vehicle anyway, compared to 500-1000 dollar for cosmetic items like gold emblems or pinstripes. Don't lose sleep over this one). The rest of the stuff he told you is mostly BS; however, if you can hold him to that price with a contract, I would still go through with the deal. You can always go to another dealership for service if you're not happy with this one.
OK, but if I'm special ordering that means I can specify exactly what's on the car when it's built, correct? He said I had to have it on there because he wouldn't be there at the manufacturing line to remove it himself (cause it goes on ALL Lexus IS's according to him), though he'd "try to get it removed" if possible. I care far more about being lied to than the $200 cost of the package.
Old 12-05-05, 02:56 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's a PPO or Post Production Option..

so if you special order you don't have to get it. The regularly allocated cars will all have it added however so he is half right. Other interesting options to consider in the future are the G1 ground effects kit @$1500. The HKS dual sport exhaust ( price to be determined code EX ) and the rear lip spoiler @ $355 (LR) P2 is the Sirius tuner and P7 is the XM which if installed by Lexus at the port will cost $486. Expect to pay double that if the dealer installs it which is mostly labor cost.

Rock
Old 12-05-05, 02:58 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Do you honestly think they'll care?

One of the funniest parts of this experience, is that he kept telling me that I needed to trust him and the dealership a lot more. As I kept (politely) asking questions to "trust but verify", he got increasingly upset and angry at me. But at the same time, he kept getting my name wrong (happened at least 4 times). So he'd say "well Chris, if you can't learn to trust us I don't think we're going to be able to do business." Me: "my name's not Chris."
Probably "Chris" is the name of his lover at home (whatever gender that is)!!!!
Old 12-05-05, 03:03 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

OK, but if I'm special ordering that means I can specify exactly what's on the car when it's built, correct? He said I had to have it on there because he wouldn't be there at the manufacturing line to remove it himself (cause it goes on ALL Lexus IS's according to him), though he'd "try to get it removed" if possible. I care far more about being lied to than the $200 cost of the package.
I think you are fretting over a moot point here; you already know that he is either a jerk, idiot, or an lier based on the other things he said. In the rare event that he was right about every single Lexus being built with the accessory package, demand that he remove it from the car and reduce the price accordingly. I once visited a Toyota dealership and was told by the salesman that EVERY Camry they sold came with gold emblems and pinstripes--I walked. The only thing that matters here is whether that price is legit--if it's not, go elsewhere. If the price stands, are you willing to stay and buy from this guy or go to another dealer and risk paying more for the car ? In all likelihood, the guy will backpeddle when you ask him for a written and signed order. Even if he is too stupid to catch it (which I doubt), the order still has to be approved by the manager. And you are talking $7k below MSRP.

Last edited by jlin101; 12-05-05 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer made ~$4K error in my favor??