Dealer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 02:26 PM
Shaine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Questions

LEASE NEGOTIATION

Ok this is the story maybe someone can give me some input. I ordered an IS250 with nav package and 18" rims about a week ago and they told me they didnt have any incoming but they could get me the car in 2-3 weeks. i tried to get some money off of the MSRP and was only able to get $500 off. They explained that this is b/c this car with nav preety much doesnt exist right now so it makes no sense for them to discount it. Anyways to make a long story shorter i ended up having to pay $470 a month + tax which put met at $498.12 a month with $3550 out of pocket. Keep in mind that this was a 36 month 12k per year lease. I gave them a $1,000 non refundable deposit and was told that in December when i pick up the car the payments can go up or down but most likely would stay the same or drop b/c of the December to remember event. This is due to the fact that they couldnt do the paper work for the car b/c it was non existant. So to ask my first question, I have been hearing a lot about discounts in December to remember and was wondering when i go back to the dealer to pick up my car do u guys think there is anyway i can try to get more off the car b/c of the sale or is it pointless b/c they think i wont walk away anyways b/c of my non refundable $1,000 i already gave them?

My second question is when i bought the car with the nav package the saleman told me that this car came standard with HID and rain sensing wipers if purchased with the nav package. I later went home and after some reading on lexus.com realised that he was possibly wrong. The next day i went there and asked him are u sure it comes with HID and rain senseing wipers and he said yes, i told him to check with a manager anyways. When he came back he apologized and admited it was hes mistake and that the car does not come with those two things. I was really upset but after i left the dealer i started thinking about the matter and i think since the salesman made a mistake i should be entitled to free HID and rain sensing wipers or at least some additional discounts such as the price of HID and the rain sensing wipers discounted off the price of the car. There is only one catch though no where in any of the papers that i signed or my non refundable $1,000 deposit does it say that the car came with those things, but non the less the salesman repeatedly told me infront of my dad and the next day infront of my friend that the car came with those things as long as i had bought the nav package.

I'd really appreciate some input from u guys about both of my situations. Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-30-05, 02:38 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

.....nevermind

Last edited by brewkp4; 11-30-05 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 03:18 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

You should be entitled to getting your deposit back, since the salesman made a mistake. There is no way you're getting the HID and rain-sensing wipers for free though.
Old 11-30-05, 05:15 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Here in California, the deposit is 100% refundable for ANY reason. And even if you signed paperwork, as long as you don't drive out the parking lot, you can back out of the deal. Of course this is a pretty crappy way to do business considering all the time wasted on your part and the salesman as he is paid strictly on commission.

There is a salesperson on here from JM Lexus, lexus_girl, Shannon is her name. Try contacting her as I'm sure she will treat you right. (JM is the #1 dealer in the country.)

Anybody from Florida who knows dealer operations want to chime in?
Old 11-30-05, 06:22 PM
IS350ISFUN
Driver

Can they install HID and rain senors after the fact?>
Old 11-30-05, 07:25 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by IS350ISFUN
Can they install HID and rain senors after the fact?>
HID is possible to install, but I do not know of any dealer who offers it. So no, I would order a factory one.
Old 12-01-05, 10:00 AM
Shaine
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone have any input on the first question?
Old 12-01-05, 11:09 AM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Actually I think it is illegal to have a nonrefundable deposit. Could be wrong. But I think they must give you back the deposit if you don't drive off with the car. Put up a stink on the deposit and threaten to report them if they don't give it back to you. I doubt that you will get anything in compensation for the wipers/HID.
Old 12-01-05, 12:06 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

if you did not have a contract specifying the equipment (specifically the HID and wiper) for that price, you are out of luck. It is not economically feasable to install OEM HID and wiper at the dealership. Renegotiate or walk away with your deposit.
Old 12-01-05, 11:52 PM
Shaine
Driver School Candidate

yea im gonna have to check into that so called non refundable deposit. seems like most of u are telling me thats BS.
Old 12-02-05, 07:34 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shaine
yea im gonna have to check into that so called non refundable deposit. seems like most of u are telling me thats BS.
I talked to my dealership. If I special order a 350/Sport/Nav/ML they want $1,000 down and they ae saying it is not refundable if I walk away from the car when it arrives.
Old 12-02-05, 10:56 PM
pita2go
Driver

yeah i am around south florida and am going to get a car from JM lexus or actually am thinking the other places since JM lexus is the #1 dealer.. and i went there to test drive...

the sales person was really cocky and didn't even blink at the idea of dealing.. i thought that was bad thing to do... since sales people are the face of the dealership...

and he didn't really know much about the car.. i knew more than he did.. i was selling the damn product to myself.. not him to me...

and i think that you agreed to a car that has HIDs and rain sensing wipers.. and if that is not what you are getting then it wasn't the product that you asked for...

it's like this.. if you ask for a cookie and they give you a brownie.. do you still pay for it? NO.. wth?

it's NOT what you asked for.. they need to get that straight.. if he got that wrong.. he should give up his commission
Old 12-03-05, 10:29 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its defiently not illegal to have a deposit not refunded, if stated so in the
contract. Thats the whole idea of leaving a deposit, you leave the deposit
and the car is held for you, all other customers are turned away. But nowadays
most reputatable dealers give refunds on deposits, because they dont want
ppl bad mouthing their dealerships..
Old 12-03-05, 10:46 AM
Revelation
Driver School Candidate

Well first off a couple of things:

*IF* your salesperson stated that the vehicle came with the featuers you metioned BEFORE you sigen any paperwok; you are more than entitled to seek reimbursement! This is what is called a verbale contract... Now if he corrected himself and the feaures before you signed, you're SOL.

Basically, how I took your scenerio, he stated x-features are ON THE CAR, and for xxx number of dollars. You agree to this and put in your deposit. You have essentially bought this car with these features, regardless of what is in the contract or on paper, unless they specifically corrected his mistakes before you signed. Otherwise he could tell everyone yeah this IS350 has HID, ML etc.. for xx dollars and after the sale, oh my bad it's a base model IS250, I'm sorry! This doesn't work, you are more than in your riight to expect compensation because he "sold" you the car with these features. It doesn't matter if he corrected his mistakes the next day, you signed under the premise that you are buying a car with x features for x dollars, period.

Now I'm not syaing to be an A$$ about it, but you can surely expect them to discount the vehicle further for his mistake; I sold cars before and I know the pain that comes with not knowing your product.

That's my two cents!

When it comes to the leasing terms, unfortunately it does depend on when you sign the contract and take delivery. Usually if there are "rebates" you get to keep those that are in effect at the day of deposit or take the rebates that are available at the time of delivery. Rate are a different beast all together.
Old 12-03-05, 12:04 PM
Dr C
Driver

Before I sign a contract for a car, I ALWAYS get a copy of the invoice from the dealer, even it it is faxed to me, that lists ALL of the standard and optional equipment. That protects both sides. If you signed a contract that did not specifically list the rain sensing wipers and the HID, I doubt that you will get anything out of the dealer.

Quick Reply: Dealer Questions