IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally drove the IS 350 today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05, 12:56 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally drove the IS 350 today...

The first thing that entered my mind while sitting in the Lexus was how cramped I felt. For reference, I am 6'0" 195 lbs. I'm coming from a 2000 Mustang GT, and I felt more cramped in the Lexus. On paper, it's really not more cramped, but it felt that way. I think the lack of driver visability is what makes the interior feel cramped. The rear side and rear window visibility is really poor. The rear view is block by the head rests and the rear side windows are narrow by design. I managed to sit in the back seat, but you need to sit very upright. Rear seat head room is actually good because Lexus put the seats very low to the ground. Leg room is tight.

The Lexus salesman did the smartest thing possible. He gave me the key fob and said "have fun". He didn't even ask me for my license. It was be best soft sell tactic I could have ever imagined. The car I drove did NOT have the sport package. It was mica w/ lux. package, 18" wheels with summer tires, nav, ML sound system. I'm not commenting on the nav or ML sound system because I spent all my time driving the car vs. playing with features I don't plan on purchasing.

For not even having the sport package, I thought the car handled extremely well. Steering response and road feel were good, and the ride was comfortable. I spent about 20 mins. behind the wheel. I was also impressed with the paddle shifting response time. Shifting was quick and precise. I did a few full throttle runs up to 80 mph or so. The car is fast enough for me. It's not as explosive as my Mustang GT, but it builds speeds very nicely. I think Lexus built in a little electronic throttle lag, but I am willing to live with it. It just seemed like there is a slight hesitation when you stab the gas petal. VDIM even let the rear wheels spin on the 1-2 shift in power mode. I'll admit, VDIM was not too intrusive. However, it were an option, I would never get it.

Likes - engine, transmission/paddle shifters, power, handling, minimal road noise, Lexus build quality

Dislkes - rear seat room, engine/exhaust too quiet, no VDIM kill switch, price

Pretty sweet ride overall, I just need to convince myself that the car is large enough for my needs. I wish it was just a tad larger.
Old 11-26-05, 01:30 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

fyi you can disable vsc and trac (basically what you think of as vdim)... do a quick search
Old 11-26-05, 03:27 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
fyi you can disable vsc and trac (basically what you think of as vdim)... do a quick search
I know you can, but it's not as easy as pressing a button.
Old 11-26-05, 03:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

You definitely must be talking about your modded 00 Mustang GT since stock vs stock, IS350 will blow the doors off of a 2000 Mustang GT. The current 06 GT can put up a good fight.

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
It's not as explosive as my Mustang GT
Old 11-27-05, 06:42 AM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You definitely must be talking about your modded 00 Mustang GT since stock vs stock, IS350 will blow the doors off of a 2000 Mustang GT. The current 06 GT can put up a good fight.
Not really. I ran 13.89 @ 101 mph stock with my 2000 Mustang GT 5-speed. I don't think either car would blow the doors off each other as you put it. I ran 13.51seconds with some minor modifications.

The IS 350 very quick, but throttle response is delayed just slightly which kills a little of the fun. Most cars today with the new electronic throttle technology have a built in delay. My mustang throttle is the old fashioned cable throtttle, when the throttle is opened, power is instantaneous. It's not a big deal. I think I'm making sound worse than it really is.

The big difference on why the Mustang feels more explosive has to with low-end torque and overall torque. The Mustang 4.6L V-8 engine simply has a lot of low-end torque. When I had my car dynoed in stock form, it was already making over 200 ft. lbs. at just 2000 rpms to the rear wheels. At peak, it was making 272 ft. lbs. to rear wheels at 4000 rpms. After modifications, it was making 292 RWTQ at the peak. Torque makes car "feel" fast, horsepower makes them go fast.

The other thing is the Mustang is a lighter car at 3300 lbs vs. the IS at over 3500 lbs. That makes a difference too.

Also, the the Mustang 4.6L V-8 has more low-end torque, broader torque curve, and more peak torque. Torque makes cars "feel" explosive and fast, horsepower makes them go fast.
Old 11-27-05, 07:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

p.s. did you use pwr switch to speed up transmission response?
Old 11-27-05, 09:08 AM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. did you use pwr switch to speed up transmission response?
I used the power switch, but I wasn't sure what that switch was for at the time. I'm still not sure. Does it just make the transmission shift a little crisper?

The transimssion in this car is outstanding. I was very impressed and I don't think I will miss the notchy manual transmission I currently have in my mustang.
Old 11-27-05, 11:25 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Exactly. Your Stang GT delivers torque at very low rpms due to the V8 so off the line it must be quicker than the IS350 and even as quick as the IS to 60 mph. The IS350 having around 50 HP more and 10 ft lbs more torque at higher rpms should be quicker to the quartermile than your Stang.

Torque makes cars "feel" explosive and fast, horsepower makes them go fast.
Old 11-27-05, 12:16 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm starting to get a little concerned by the visibility problems that some are posting about. I wonder why the chief engineer didn't design the rear seat headrests to fold down when not in use like the mercedes cars do?

I have not driven the car yet so I can't comment on visibility. I appreciate people posting their honest opinions though.
Old 11-27-05, 12:39 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I'm starting to get a little concerned by the visibility problems that some are posting about. I wonder why the chief engineer didn't design the rear seat headrests to fold down when not in use like the mercedes cars do?

I have not driven the car yet so I can't comment on visibility. I appreciate people posting their honest opinions though.
I don't see any visibility problems in my car. All is well. It seem like it does but It does not.
Old 11-27-05, 12:55 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah I don't have a problem using the side mirrors and I am use to doing that for changing lanes. I even lean forward toward the steering wheel while looking into side mirrors right before changing lanes to cover your blind spot, works all the time.

A few years ago I had to go to driving school (for not fully stopping at a red light before making a turn) cop was sitting at a corner gas station. But I opted to go to driving school to avoid the points, the only thing I learned in that class was when he said that if you lean slightly toward the driver wheel right before you make a lane change and look into your side mirror (providing they are set correct) then you will always avoid your blind spot. He says it takes just a few seconds to lean forward to check. For some reason that stuck with me and I use it and never have a problem no matter what type car I am in for changing lanes.

But I still think re-designing the rear headrests so they fold down when not in use would be a helpful feature for rear visibility, does Lexus use that feature on any cars? I doubt they would start it with the IS if is not in use in other models.
Old 11-27-05, 12:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have having slight visibility problems specifically in changing lanes from the #1 to the #2 lane. Nothing huge, but there is a blind spot there for me as well as on the left side. Could be that I am totally not use to make this lane change since I've always been the fastest driver (not so during break-in period). Haven't had any close calls yet, just have to keep double checking. No real problems out the rear.
Old 11-27-05, 03:47 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Yeah I don't have a problem using the side mirrors and I am use to doing that for changing lanes. I even lean forward toward the steering wheel while looking into side mirrors right before changing lanes to cover your blind spot, works all the time.

A few years ago I had to go to driving school (for not fully stopping at a red light before making a turn) cop was sitting at a corner gas station. But I opted to go to driving school to avoid the points, the only thing I learned in that class was when he said that if you lean slightly toward the driver wheel right before you make a lane change and look into your side mirror (providing they are set correct) then you will always avoid your blind spot. He says it takes just a few seconds to lean forward to check. For some reason that stuck with me and I use it and never have a problem no matter what type car I am in for changing lanes.

But I still think re-designing the rear headrests so they fold down when not in use would be a helpful feature for rear visibility, does Lexus use that feature on any cars? I doubt they would start it with the IS if is not in use in other models.
if you had the side mirror adjusted outward sufficiently, you shouldn't have to lean forward. The headrests can't fold down because there are rear shelf speakers.
Old 11-27-05, 04:30 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Exactly. Your Stang GT delivers torque at very low rpms due to the V8 so off the line it must be quicker than the IS350 and even as quick as the IS to 60 mph. The IS350 having around 50 HP more and 10 ft lbs more torque at higher rpms should be quicker to the quartermile than your Stang.
What about the weight difference? What about torque curve throughout the entire rpm band? Have you even been to a race track? By your comments, I am guessing you don't know very much about drag racing.

Once again, I ran 13.89 with my stock 2000 Mustang GT 5 speed. I've been to three different tracks in the Chicagoland area. Stock Mustang GT's between 1999-2004 typically run between 13.9 - 14.2 seconds in the quarter. The 2005 Mustang is running mid 13's stock. Pre-1999 Mustang GT's are running high 14's stock.

Both the Mustang GT and new IS are quick cars. One has a torque and weight advantage, the other has a horsepower advantage. To say that the new IS would "blow the doors" of the other is just stupid.
Old 11-27-05, 05:37 PM
|mpulse
Rookie

Dislkes - rear seat room
Bring some people with you next time, I brought 3 people with me each time I test drove a car and was really glad just for their input on the rear room/comfort and the vehicles overall.

I have done a few long trips (160+ miles roundtrip) with a couple different couples now and all have said they were really comfortable in the back.

Quick Reply: Finally drove the IS 350 today...