IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

not too good review of the IS from NY Times

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-05, 10:29 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not too good review of the IS from NY Times

Well, I guess you can add the New York Times to the list of publications that put out reviews of the IS that are both factually inaccurate and seemingly unfair. Not only did they say that the IS350 and the 330i have identical 0-60 times , they are also clearly unaware of the VDIM disabling trick that is by now pretty well documented. They did say a few nice things though, including giving the nod on interior quality to the Lexus. Since you have to log in to the site to read the article, I'll post the full text here:

New York Times
November 27, 2005
Behind the Wheel | 2006 Lexus GS and IS
Its Reputation Secure, Lexus Heads in New Directions
By JERRY GARRETT

THE old IS 300 was Lexus's ugly duckling, at least in the view of its chief engineer, Nobuaki Katayama. He made a list of 200 things he did not like about the car, and asked his successor, Suguya Fukusato, to address those concerns and turn the IS "into a true Lexus." The result, the much improved 2006 model that went on sale last month, may not yet be as mature and graceful as a swan, but it is at least well into its cygnet phase.

No longer an ungainly sedan and sport-hatch duo, the second-generation car (which now comes only as a sedan) is substantially larger by every measure. An entry-level sport sedan, it enters a battlefield over which BMW's venerable 3 Series has long claimed sovereignty. BMW sold more than 100,000 of its 3 Series cars in the United States last year; Lexus found fewer than 10,000 buyers for its IS 300, but is aiming at 40,000 annually for the new car.

After starting as a Toyota subsidiary that existed only in North America, Lexus has gone worldwide. The new IS was introduced globally as Toyota seeks to eliminate duplication of similar models with different names in different regions.

Here in the United States, the new car comes to market with two V-6 engines: the IS 250 has a small 2.5-liter power plant and the IS 350 has a 3.5-liter motor.

Lexus officials say they have no doubt that their new baby can equal or exceed the BMW 3 Series in assembly quality, dependability and retained value. But the real test comes where the Dunlops meet the tarmac: Can the car produce the same visceral appeal and unmitigated driver enthusiasm as the famous Bavarian driving machine? (This is a question that BMW itself may be asking, given that its all-new 3 Series is trying to live up to the standards of its omnipotent predecessors.)

Both the Lexus and BMW have the same stance and exterior profile, right down to their beveled character lines. Dimensions are similar: the Lexus is 1.9 inches longer, but the BMW's wheelbase is 1.2 inches longer.

But the new IS weighs a scandalous 200 pounds more, on average, than the parallel BMW models, and is that much heavier than the outgoing car. This becomes a notable difference when one hits the starter button (literally) and drives off.

The $30,580 base model, the IS 250, sadly underperforms, with a mere 204 horsepower. This engine fails to measure up to the 215 horses of the previous model's in-line 6. Despite this, Lexus recommends premium fuel. At least the mileage ratings are impressive: 24 m.p.g. in town and 32 on the highway with an automatic transmission, 20/29 with a six-speed manual and 22/28 with all-wheel drive and the automatic.

The IS 350, which starts at $36,030, is rated 21/28. Its 306 horsepower trumps the 255 of the BMW 330i. Yet this seeming edge is equalized on the street; the IS 350 and 330i have identical zero-to-60 times of 5.6 seconds, according to Car and Driver magazine. Blame not only the extra weight, but also Toyota's conservative choices in transmissions and gearing.

Consider this: the IS, like the 3 Series, offers a high-horsepower engine, a six-speed manual gearbox and all-wheel-drive. But as is too often the case with Toyota's performance options, you can't get all of these features in the same car. The bigger engine doesn't come with the manual transmission or all-wheel drive. Nor can you get performance-rated tires if you opt for the stick shift and all-wheel drive. From an enthusiast's perspective, none of this makes much sense.

So the IS 250, challenged for power even in rear-drive form, is also the car that must haul the extra weight of all-wheel drive.

On the bright side, a driver stuck with the automatic gearbox isn't missing much: the manual transmission has such long, sloppy throws between gears, and such outlandish clutch-pedal travel, it reminded me of my days as a school bus driver.

As a bone, Lexus throws in a "Formula One style" paddle shifter with the automatic. But in my experience even the most caffeine-charged enthusiast will quickly grow tired of its fussiness, especially in city driving; the transmission's computerized brain tends to override the driver's choices anyway.

Lexus put a really capable suspension in the IS - double wishbones in front and multilinks in the rear. There is also a sophisticated antiskid control, though it seems seldom called to action - and like the other electronic driver aids, it cannot be turned off.

The 3 Series encourages a driver to thrash around, rounding off apexes, flicking between gears and making the tires squeal in delight. If you try to push the Lexus to the theoretical edge, you find that the conservative gearing, the compromises in driver controls and the various computerized nannies conspire against getting there.

At least the Lexus driver can listen to great music. The optional Mark Levinson 5.1 surround-sound audio system blows away the competition. In contrast to Acura's 5.1 system, which focuses on the driver, the sound is superbly balanced for all four seats.

The Lexus cockpit is much more handsome than the one in the somewhat austere BMW, with plush leathers, lighter colors, bright gauges and "digitally matched" wood accents picked by a computer. The controls are more straightforward than BMW's diabolical iDrive, though not by a lot.

Both the Lexus and BMW offer the expected amenities: heated seats, rain-sensing wipers, moonroof, power this and that, electronically operated ya-di-ya. The IS is (my spelling checker keeps flagging that as a redundancy) built off a modified platform from the larger GS, and the two cars share many parts and pieces, including their electric power steering.

The Lexus IS is like the perennial A student who has yet to declare a major. The car shows perfection in individual disciplines. Its creators have done their homework assignments well. But the better-rounded BMW remains the class valedictorian.

INSIDE TRACK: The penultimate driving machine.
Old 11-25-05, 11:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

The IS 350, which starts at $36,030, is rated 21/28. Its 306 horsepower trumps the 255 of the BMW 330i. Yet this seeming edge is equalized on the street; the IS 350 and 330i have identical zero-to-60 times of 5.6 seconds, according to Car and Driver magazine. Blame not only the extra weight, but also Toyota's conservative choices in transmissions and gearing.
what to say?? Totally speechless at the ignorance and inaccuracy of facts. What an insult to Lexus by calling a car that has 60 more HP only as fast as the 330i. Apparently, a monkey can use common sense and find inaccuracies in it. It is no secret that they are biased towards BMW or were paid by BMW to trash the IS.
Old 11-25-05, 11:14 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen the Car and Driver article...did the C&D article say this or not?
Old 11-25-05, 11:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Better rounded" BMW my foot.

What a stupid review, and to think I expected more from the NY Times.

"On the bright side" is indeed the reviewer "throwing a bone" of positivity amid a slew of criticism, much of it unwarranted.

Sounds like the reviewer took a short 1 hour test drive and then wrote the rest by looking parts up on the internet.

As for the Car and Driver bit, it's apparent here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=9

That the IS 350 is faster than all competitors, including the BMW. The NY Times can't read what it copies???!!!!!!!!

Also referenced here: http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...&categoryId=21

Between this and Detroit News coming up with fake sales numbers for BMW, I'm really fed up with the biased and inaccurate media coverage of Lexus.

Someone should write the NY Times and demand a retraction of their false 0-60 statement!!!! Plus their inaccuracy and bias is dripping everywhere on this article.
Old 11-25-05, 11:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

But the new IS weighs a scandalous 200 pounds more, on average, than the parallel BMW models, and is that much heavier than the outgoing car

Seems like they really WANT it to be that way whether it is or not in reality??

Lexus IS350 (6 speed auto)
Curb weight: 3527 lbs

BMW 330i (6 speed manual)
Curb weight: 3430 lbs
Curb weight (automatic): 3440 lbs

Looks like less than 100 lbs weight difference and probably would be even less when comparably equipped.
Old 11-26-05, 12:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems like the writer of this article is possibly driving a 325, and Lexus' superiourity hurting his ego?
Old 11-26-05, 12:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The biggest question is, how could a reputable newspaper with a massive circulation publish cr*p like that with so much many factual errors in order to bias against a product is simply beyond me??
Old 11-26-05, 06:36 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The biggest question is, how could a reputable newspaper with a massive circulation publish cr*p like that with so much many factual errors in order to bias against a product is simply beyond me??
Is this the same newspaper, with that reporter who just made up stories? Or was that the NY post?

So the 330 has a 0-60 of 5.6 seconds? Thats pretty good. I thought it was like 5.9-6.0
Old 11-26-05, 07:27 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

"digitally matched" wood accents picked by a computer???

What the heck does that mean? It's obvious this writer either dislikes the Lexus brand or is jealous of the new IS. Either way, their journalism is very amateur, how could this kind of writing be in the NY times?
Old 11-26-05, 07:31 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

From the Car and Driver article

"It also has 306 ponies from an all-new 3.5-liter V-6, enough to make 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and sear your quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 104 mph with a few flicks of the steering-wheel paddles controlling the six-speed automatic. Every other car here sucks its dust. Welcome to the most exuberant Lexus ever built."

I've never seen them tout the 330i with a 5.1 0-60 time. In fact I think 5.6 was the best I'd ever seen it... So they take the worst number Lexus has ever put up for a 0-60 vs the best I've ever seen for BMW. 5.6 was Lexus (admittedly) conservitave time until it was re-tested and noted at 5.3.

I'd be surprised if this writer did anything more than sit in the car and then pull "facts" from multiple sources who all tested in different conditions. This is why I hate the media.
Old 11-26-05, 07:49 AM
izzyracer
Driver

All I can say i BAAAAAHHHHUUUUMBAG! The car will speak for itself in time.
Old 11-26-05, 08:42 AM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

I am going to write this guy an email

retard
Old 11-26-05, 09:18 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
"digitally matched" wood accents picked by a computer???

What the heck does that mean? It's obvious this writer either dislikes the Lexus brand or is jealous of the new IS. Either way, their journalism is very amateur, how could this kind of writing be in the NY times?
Each wood piece's grain pattern is checked by computer and matched together w/ similar cuts for each vehicle (something like that).

Wow... that article was biased toward the 330i... it looks like he didn't really even drive the car... he simply put the specs head to head and picked a winner. I cannot look past the fact that he said the transmission is conservative and the gearing was too! Granted everyone's entitled to their opinion but it should be based on fact and experience, not a comparative review off data sheets and other reviews...

I liked when he said "The Lexus IS is like the perennial A student who has yet to declare a major. The car shows perfection in individual disciplines. Its creators have done their homework assignments well." But totally disagree w/ the "But the better-rounded BMW remains the class valedictorian." comment. I would agree with him if the last gen 330 was reviewed... but 06 vs 06, the IS is clearly better. Oh well.
Old 11-26-05, 09:30 AM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

MY EMAIL TO MR. GARRETT

Mr. Garrett,

Representing a major media publication comes with several responsibilities, one of them being factual accuracy. I was disappointed to see that you made several errors in your most recent review of the 2006 Lexus IS350. While this doesn't surprise me (leave the auto reviews to real auto journalists please), it did irritate me.

Your first offense came when you claimed the "new IS weighs a scandalous 200 pounds more, on average, than the parallel BMW models, and is that much heavier than the outgoing car. This becomes a notable difference when one hits the starter button (literally) and drives off." It would do you well Mr. Garrett to compare apples to apples. Instead of comparing the curb weight of a 6 speed BMW to an auto equipped IS350, you should compare similar transmissions (but you knew that, right?). If you did, you would have realize that the weight differential is less than 80lbs.

Lexus IS350 (6 speed auto)
Curb weight: 3527* lbs

BMW 330i (6 speed auto)
Curb weight: 3450* lbs

Its hard to imagine how you could foul this simple comparison up, but alas, you did.

Your second, and most egregious, offense was when you claimed the 0-60 times of the IS350 and the 330i were similar. "The IS 350, which starts at $36,030, is rated 21/28. Its 306 horsepower trumps the 255 of the BMW 330i. Yet this seeming edge is equalized on the street; the IS 350 and 330i have identical zero-to-60 times of 5.6 seconds, according to Car and Driver magazine. Blame not only the extra weight, but also Toyota's conservative choices in transmissions and gearing."

Sir, it is one thing to make the simple mistake of comparing a manual transmission BMW to an auto equipped Lexus, but to misquote a Car & Driver article? You cannot be serious! Car & Driver achieved a 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds in the IS350. I will even quote the article for you and provide a link... "It also has 306 ponies from an all-new 3.5-liter V-6, enough to make 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and sear your quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 104 mph with a few flicks of the steering-wheel paddles controlling the six-speed automatic. Every other car here sucks its dust. Welcome to the most exuberant Lexus ever built." Not only did the IS350 beat the 330i, it embarrassed it. Oh, and I thought you might be interested to know that the upcoming Lexus IS race car is going to be fitted with the same auto tranny.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=9

The IS350 is the fastest car in its class (by far) and offers the most tech amenities. Me thinks you need to go back to journalism school, or at least learn how to copy and paste properly.

Regards,

XXXXXXX

* Unlike you, my data comes directly from the Lexus and BMW websites
Old 11-26-05, 10:15 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like Mr Garrett does not have facts straight...but so what? We all know the IS350 is faster and given Lexus track record for quality, I have no reason to believe that the IS will be anything less. Look at the bright side, if all auto reviewer's rated the IS as the "Best Car" in its class, the lexus dealers would take note of that and charge msrp or more. From a buyer's perspective, I think its better that BMW get rated #1 (even though its not) and give us buyers more leverage at the dealership. The last words a lexus salesman wants to hear is "if you can't work with me on price, I'm going over to the BMW place and get a 330"

Quick Reply: not too good review of the IS from NY Times