IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A few initial IS350 likes and dislikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 12:40 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Also I wish the park assist had a front and center sensor instead of just the side ones. When I pull into my garage, I have to have an item left or right of center in order to guide me in.
yes, I noticed that IS has only 2 front sensors, while GS has 4, and LS has 6.
On the other hand, you can't even get PA in the ES, RX and SC!

Last edited by jlin101; 11-23-05 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-22-05, 01:54 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1)I wish there were turn signal indicators somewhere on the outside mirrors; when done right look cool.
2)When I release the trunk with the remote, it only pops instead of opening fully. If your hands are full, expect to use them to lift. You can however close the trunk without touching the paint.
Sounds like you want a Benz! Those locking issues can be adjust with Lexus Personal Settings. They should have given you a LPS brochure that lists all things you can personalize in your IS. Best of luck!
Old 11-22-05, 02:11 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Sounds like you want a Benz! Those locking issues can be adjust with Lexus Personal Settings. They should have given you a LPS brochure that lists all things you can personalize in your IS. Best of luck!
Yep I have that information but I didn't find these. These are not part of the personalization...that's why I'm saying I wish they were. Hehe, trust me I don't want a Benz, I like the Lexus way better! My Acura trunk use to pop open, not like a mechanical arm but when it popped, it fly up to the fully open position instead of just sitting there.
Old 11-22-05, 02:56 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep I have that information but I didn't find these. These are not part of the personalization...that's why I'm saying I wish they were. Hehe, trust me I don't want a Benz, I like the Lexus way better! My Acura trunk use to pop open, not like a mechanical arm but when it popped, it fly up to the fully open position instead of just sitting there.
The lack of a front park distance sensor is going to drive me up the wall since this will be my first vehicle that's close to the ground.

The trunk popping is because the trunk lid is heavy and solid, not cheap and thin. I have yet to have a Lexus vehicle where the trunk lid pops open. My Cavalier did it, but that's because the trunk lid had less metal on it than a Coke can

I like the way the smart key works though. The lock idea is a good idea. I also think that the remote-up windows are a good idea as well. All you have to do is push the black button on the door handle and it locks.
Old 11-22-05, 04:02 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Also I wish the park assist had a front and center sensor instead of just the side ones. When I pull into my garage, I have to have an item left or right of center in order to guide me in.
weird... my moms new GS430 has a center sensor... the is350 does not?
Old 11-23-05, 12:44 AM
cooney
Rookie

Default my list

Like Ken, I really like the IS350 -- but on my list of things I'd change:
I wish the radio had two antennas (front in addition to rear window) -- in L.A., a diversity antenna system really helps.

Why no place for parking meter change?

Side & rear visibility, even with those elephant ear mirrors, is a challenge.

The audio system compensation for different positions (driver, front, rear & all), sounds very artificial to me, with lots of out-of-phase information added on each side, except for the "all" position, which, to my ears, does not sound as processed.

A lock on the center console box would have made me more sanguine about leaving an iPod there when I valet park.

Another two or three inches of leg room in the back would have been very nice.

The sport shift setting of the transmission always starts in fourth gear (it should start in whatever gear you're in when you move the gearshift lever into the sport setting -- because there is no separate "sport" setting, this is how the MB system works), there is no rev-matching when you shift (I hear this is done in the G35), and basically in any gear position, you still have an automatic transmission, just limited to that gear as the highest gear -- I'd have preferred a setting where the car stays in the selected gear until it is changed.

Real iPod integration would have been very nice.

And I'd have preferred to have been able to make my own choices about options, rather than the bundled sets Toyota/Lexus offers. So I chose to not get the sport suspension or bi-xexons as I was not willing to pay almost $4,000 for the sport package.

So that's my list so far. But it is a very nice car!
Old 11-23-05, 05:39 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cooney
Like Ken, I really like the IS350 -- but on my list of things I'd change:
I wish the radio had two antennas (front in addition to rear window) -- in L.A., a diversity antenna system really helps.

Why no place for parking meter change?

Side & rear visibility, even with those elephant ear mirrors, is a challenge.

The audio system compensation for different positions (driver, front, rear & all), sounds very artificial to me, with lots of out-of-phase information added on each side, except for the "all" position, which, to my ears, does not sound as processed.

A lock on the center console box would have made me more sanguine about leaving an iPod there when I valet park.

Another two or three inches of leg room in the back would have been very nice.

The sport shift setting of the transmission always starts in fourth gear (it should start in whatever gear you're in when you move the gearshift lever into the sport setting -- because there is no separate "sport" setting, this is how the MB system works), there is no rev-matching when you shift (I hear this is done in the G35), and basically in any gear position, you still have an automatic transmission, just limited to that gear as the highest gear -- I'd have preferred a setting where the car stays in the selected gear until it is changed.

Real iPod integration would have been very nice.

And I'd have preferred to have been able to make my own choices about options, rather than the bundled sets Toyota/Lexus offers. So I chose to not get the sport suspension or bi-xexons as I was not willing to pay almost $4,000 for the sport package.

So that's my list so far. But it is a very nice car!
when I test drove with the gear lever in sport, the car always started in first (you can select to have the little display window between speedo and tach show which gear the car is in at the time). The P-R-N-D display below that shows the highest gear selected.
In this litiginous society of good ol' USA, anything that pops open (such as a trunk) can be a potential source of personal injury and cause for grievance and law suit.
Locks on glove box never work very well; it only takes a small screw driver to pry the lid open anyway.
Old 11-23-05, 09:25 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are probably a couple of things I need to figure out, but here is my list. Overall though, I love the car, I esp love the 2 tone doors, if you have silver interior

1) the A pillar is too thick, it makes a left turn a little difficult
2) I dont like the Stereo =( I guess I am just accustomed to aftermarket sound, with crisp highs and clean BASS) I like my stereo a litte Bright.
3) why are my feet lit
4) Why is the center console silver, it should match the Dash, not the seats. (dealer agreed to replace it for me.
5) The need to go to Lexus to change personalized settings.
6) IMO, The seats dont feel that comfortable. In my 3000GT, I could pass out in my seats without any problems.

These are items that I have noticed are standard in other Luxury cars
7) HIDs are not a stand alone option.
8) No touchscreen display for Climate control, unless you have Nav.