Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 12:19 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Here ya go folks... as posted at another site!

FYI, I take NO responsibility for how many tires you shred because of this OR any accidents. Be SAFE!!! I AM told that ABS stays on, a fuse needs to be pulled to disable that.

"as it states in the 2006 avalon owners manual ....start the car with the parking prake on ....then foot brake twice....(keep the foot brake down)....then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash.....it will reset when you restart the car"

Last edited by ES3; 11-18-05 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-18-05, 12:45 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm very interesting.. will go try this out right now (and the seatbelt disable).. even tho it's past midnight, lol... Report back in a few..
Old 11-18-05, 12:59 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Hurry, it's 4am my time, need to get to bed
Old 11-18-05, 01:00 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I just went out and did this, and it does in fact turn on the skid light. I am guessing that this does turn off the VDIM as that is how the Avalons are done. When doing it, make sure you alternate "foot brake foot brake.. hand brake hand brake.." sequence. I had to do it an extra time to get it to work. I haven't tested to see if you're capable of any 'vdim restricted' maneuvers yet. I'm still babying my car.
Old 11-18-05, 01:06 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for checking! Curious, did you hold down the alternate brake like suggested, while tapping the other? I don't blame you about the babying!
Are you following the no redlining until 1100 miles or so?
Old 11-18-05, 02:26 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...2&page=1&pp=30
Old 11-18-05, 05:14 AM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

There's always a work around. It's was just a matter of time. It's also the only way for the Lexus
engineers to perform a dyno test.
Old 11-18-05, 06:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
There's always a work around. It's was just a matter of time. It's also the only way for the Lexus
engineers to perform a dyno test.
How is that so?
Old 11-18-05, 06:55 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

They can't dyno the car without turning off the TRAC at least as it thinks the car has excessive wheelspin because the front wheels are not moving and the rear are... so the only way to work around it is to turn it off.... otherwise you'd have a pretty unimpressive dyno chart when you hit 30 mph and trac kicks back on....
Old 11-18-05, 07:05 AM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

yes but does it disable TRAC or most of the VDIM?
Old 11-18-05, 07:13 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

That post on the my.is forum was by a Lexus tech who just went through his training on the IS... from what I understand from those posts and what he says it's disabling everything except ABS. Thats exactly what I wanted.

Plus yay for my 50th post. Thank you, thank you, no really... thank you. It's nice to be on what seems to be a well adjusted forum with mostly mature people who are just as dedicated/obsessed as myself. So there's my semi-formal hello also.

I should ask the guy upstairs if we can try this on his IS over lunch. Who knows, he just might go for it...
Old 11-18-05, 07:25 AM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

EXACTLY what I wanted too, EXACTLY!!!!!! I just need a couple more people to verify it, I am already planning for my new IS though.
Old 11-18-05, 07:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by -JD
EXACTLY what I wanted too, EXACTLY!!!!!! I just need a couple more people to verify it, I am already planning for my new IS though.
well, I dont see how more people can help... it works and thats it.

I am sure Lexus did it to make it easier for people dynoing their cars, etc, although I bet some will get into trouble because of this... Since you will want it disabled precisly when you need it - ie when you drive stupidly fast.

:-).
Old 11-18-05, 08:01 AM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

well because i dont take one persons word for things when theres a $43k purchase involved.
Old 11-18-05, 08:15 AM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, I dont see how more people can help... it works and thats it.

I am sure Lexus did it to make it easier for people dynoing their cars, etc, although I bet some will get into trouble because of this... Since you will want it disabled precisly when you need it - ie when you drive stupidly fast.

:-).
For me, it's not about driving stupidly fast as you put it. Other than ABS braking, I feel I can do my driving better than a computer can do it for me. It's just plain crazy that Lexus doesn't let owners disable their system (without going to a circus of steps). I want to make the choice to use the system that been automatically installed on my car. I don't want Lexus to decide for me.

I wish stability control systems were listed option for people who really want to purchase the extra security.

I predict someone will deisign an aftermarket work-around that's easier than the steps described in this thread. Just give it some more time.

Anybody recall the GM "skip shift" crap on the Corvettes? The aftermarket took care of that.

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)