Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Old 11-19-05, 12:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
i was able to confirm that the sequence code does atleast keep the trac off light showing on the dash display. i ran a test on a sharp turn and kept the wheels spinning at over 40mph. that light still stays on. i would not recommend it for daily driving, the back wheels are broken loose very easily. sure it's cool to know it is available, but time to move on.
heh, there you go... Now when kids gets scarred that VDIM will tamper them (often not realizing it is a lot more subtle than VSC they probably never complained about before), we can tell them it can be disabled :-)....
Old 11-19-05, 05:59 AM
Lexopolis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default turning off VDIM

A rather MAJOR clarification....the Avalon uses VSC "Vehicle Stability Control" NOT VDIM "Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management" VDIM is only available on the new GS 430, RX 400h, new IS and the Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

And yes, when VSC is disabled so is TRAC
Old 11-19-05, 07:50 AM
DingDingDao
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
Another important question everyone should be asking is if disabling the VDIM logs some sort of fault code. For example, with Audi, if you chip your car, you have to take out your current chip and replace it with the another chip. Doing this logs a power failure fault code. Dealerships would look for these codes when people came in with blown turbos to see if the customer chipped their car thereby voiding their warranty. You could clear these fault codes with a Vag-com but that is a different story

So, bottom line, does this log some sort of fault code or something else when you disable VDIM thereby voiding your warranty?
NotFatBoy, you're probably correct about a new chip logging a fault code. However, I got chipped a short time after the break-in period on my 1998 A4, and I went through a full 3 years of warranty coverage without so much as a peep from my service manager (Beverly Hills Audi). They serviced everything, despite the chip, exhaust, intake, coilovers, etc. etc. installed on my car. I'm not sure if Lexus dealers are as picky with aftermarket components, just my $.02.
Old 11-19-05, 08:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexopolis
A rather MAJOR clarification....the Avalon uses VSC "Vehicle Stability Control" NOT VDIM "Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management" VDIM is only available on the new GS 430, RX 400h, new IS and the Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

And yes, when VSC is disabled so is TRAC
This makes perfect sense as there is no VSC OFF switch for any Toyota or Lexus vehicle made. like in the post I made a few before this post, VDIM is not VSC or TRAC. It's a control system that allows the seamless function between the safety features. Amazing how many people jump on the bandwagon without doing research. There are alot of people who are confused with the term VDIM and what it's actual function is.

There is an explanation of VDIM on my write up below in my signature.

Here's VDIM in a more simplified explanation:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/safety_presen/tech/33.html
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/its/...tion/vdim.html

Last edited by flipside909; 11-19-05 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-19-05, 08:58 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by foofighter
if it wasnt posted here's the original article.

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2176
So this is the "original article", foo? An article that cites a VW Vortex thread as a source...which cites this ClubLexus thread as a source...sort of a circular logic to that, don't you think?

Badman Forever posted a link on the first page of this thread to the original thread from which the information came, an is300.net thread entitled, of all things, "insane brake dust" and it was posted by lexietech, a newbie (but goodie) over there, who will likely catch hell as all the IS350 demonstrators across the country quickly end up with slicks on the rear of the car.

Kind of sad how some "journalist" trolling a few Internet forums end up credited in this case. Is this how Drudge got started with the stained dress?
Old 11-19-05, 09:28 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB
So this is the "original article", foo? An article that cites a VW Vortex thread as a source...which cites this ClubLexus thread as a source...sort of a circular logic to that, don't you think?

Badman Forever posted a link on the first page of this thread to the original thread from which the information came, an is300.net thread entitled, of all things, "insane brake dust" and it was posted by lexietech, a newbie (but goodie) over there, who will likely catch hell as all the IS350 demonstrators across the country quickly end up with slicks on the rear of the car.

Kind of sad how some "journalist" trolling a few Internet forums end up credited in this case. Is this how Drudge got started with the stained dress?
not that I think he should get in trouble, but if I was the tech that disclosed this, I might be a little concerned about my job........
Old 11-19-05, 09:34 AM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
not that I think he should get in trouble, but if I was the tech that disclosed this, I might be a little concerned about my job........

how will they know who disclosed this? its just a username on an internet forum
Old 11-19-05, 11:45 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRB

I agree, I say we call them on it!
Old 11-19-05, 12:23 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
how will they know who disclosed this? its just a username on an internet forum
if someone really wanted to, they could find out who you are.
Old 11-19-05, 01:45 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Remind me not to by any white demo IS350's

Old 11-19-05, 03:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
This makes perfect sense as there is no VSC OFF switch for any Toyota or Lexus vehicle made. like in the post I made a few before this post, VDIM is not VSC or TRAC. It's a control system that allows the seamless function between the safety features. Amazing how many people jump on the bandwagon without doing research. There are alot of people who are confused with the term VDIM and what it's actual function is.

There is an explanation of VDIM on my write up below in my signature.

Here's VDIM in a more simplified explanation:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/safety_presen/tech/33.html
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/its/...tion/vdim.html
there is no vsc off switch for the new GS and IS? for sure i have the vsc off in my gs400 and also gs430 as well as my sc430. but i don't know about the new models
Old 11-20-05, 05:24 AM
Lexopolis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vdim

Flipside.....good article and well written for easy understanding as are our product training materials on VDIM.

BTW folks, the white IS is not a demo but a prototype on the launch tour.

For the fellow above, there are VSC - off switches on many "past" Lexus models but you will not see them anymore. This pisses off the journalists who feel their driving expertise should not be infringed on. However, I have yet to have one come back from a drive during a press event who said that VDIM did in fact compromise their ability to really hang it out. VDIM can help a poor driver be pretty good in spite of themselves and bring a good driver into higher ranks.

The thing to remember about VDIM as opposed to VSC.......VSC is reactive to instability, VDIM on the other hand manages the BALANCE on the vehicle and can therefore anticipate instability before it occurs and will corrent the situation before the driver realizes their WAS a potential problem. HOWEVER, once the laws of physics are exceeded.....all bets are off for any system.

If you have a car the is truely equipped with Lexus/Toyota VDIM you will have a lot more fun in all driving by LEAVING IT ALONE.
Old 11-20-05, 10:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexopolis
Flipside.....good article and well written for easy understanding as are our product training materials on VDIM.
Thank you.
Old 11-20-05, 02:26 PM
SteveG
Driver School Candidate

Well just got back from taking My IS350 w/sport setup to an scca event.

The disable VSC/VDIM trick works for certain and turns all the gadgets off. No question. I was able to hang the *** out on turns and whatever else I wanted. Had a blast!

However, VDIM when enabled really is pretty good stuff for giving you a nice strong run on a course for amateurs and probably a lot of mid-level guys too. When I muffed one of my runs and did a DNF I enabled VDIM for the rest of the course and was pretty impressed. It really does not get in the way for the most part unless you run a really bad line and screw a turn.

So in summary... unless you're a highly competitive AutoX guy, VDIM is your friend.
Old 11-20-05, 02:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

For all of the critics and reviews bashing the VDIM and giving negative points to the IS, there is definitely a reason why the chief engineer designed it for the new IS since more than 60% of the people driving the IS will not have a clue to handle so much power and would end up crashing the car.

Originally Posted by SteveG
Well just got back from taking My IS350 w/sport setup to an scca event.

The disable VSC/VDIM trick works for certain and turns all the gadgets off. No question. I was able to hang the *** out on turns and whatever else I wanted. Had a blast!

However, VDIM when enabled really is pretty good stuff for giving you a nice strong run on a course for amateurs and probably a lot of mid-level guys too. When I muffed one of my runs and did a DNF I enabled VDIM for the rest of the course and was pretty impressed. It really does not get in the way for the most part unless you run a really bad line and screw a turn.

So in summary... unless you're a highly competitive AutoX guy, VDIM is your friend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)