Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 11:06 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -JD
So what exactly DOES this disable? Nobody seems to know... .
This is all I've heard for now:

"no trac....no vsc...no electric countersteering.....and the gas pedal responce is quicker......"
Old 11-18-05, 11:09 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
This is all I've heard for now:

"no trac....no vsc...no electric countersteering.....and the gas pedal responce is quicker......"
Haha...this makes me think of the CST mode on the F430, as Clarkson said in his review, "Commit...Suicide...Training..."...
Old 11-18-05, 11:20 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Here ya go folks... as posted at another site!

FYI, I take NO responsibility for how many tires you shred because of this OR any accidents. Be SAFE!!! I AM told that ABS stays on, a fuse needs to be pulled to disable that.

"as it states in the 2006 avalon owners manual ....start the car with the parking prake on ....then foot brake twice....(keep the foot brake down)....then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash.....it will reset when you restart the car"
that is awesome news! so someone needs to see if this works on the GS430!!

so when I go test drive one, what would the sales person think if I did this routine........?
Old 11-18-05, 11:24 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, don't try this on the 1st gen is300. it'll engage the self-destruct sequence.
Old 11-18-05, 11:48 AM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
huh? You can not put your car back into line better than VDIM. Even saying that is ridicilous.

ABS breaking is actually a lot simpler than anything else, and it would be the first thing you could "emulate", but to emulate VDIM, there is absolutly no way. VDIM brakes wheels independetly plus countersteers in order to get you back at line. Not only that, it uses gazllion of sensors in order to make it as quick as subtle as possible. You can only countersteer, and thats a lot less subtle than what computer does.

Seriously, now I can understand wanting to burn some rubber and drift your back at the track, but in real life, things happen that you absolutly have no control over, oil, ice, rain, even an bump on the road can spin your car around, especially with 306hp.
That's your opinion. For me, I feel I have more control of the car's handling without sudden and unexpected computer involvement. Most people panic with something unexpected occurs. Panic happens because most people don't know what to do with a sliding car and it's even worse with RWD.

No driver could possibly compress the brake calipers as rapidly as an ABS system. ABS will stop quicker every time.
Old 11-18-05, 12:00 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
That's your opinion. For me, I feel I have more control of the car's handling without sudden and unexpected computer involvement. Most people panic with something unexpected occurs. Panic happens because most people don't know what to do with a sliding car and it's even worse with RWD.

No driver could possibly compress the brake calipers as rapidly as an ABS system. ABS will stop quicker every time.
It really wasn't his opinion, it is actually a fact. If you don't personally like all the VDIM and trac control, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, his statement calling BS on your statement in which you said that you can control your car better than the computer (VDIM etc...), is a plain fact. If you don't want it on, fine, glad it is your *** on the line and not mine.

BTW- to everyone wondering how to turn it off (as it has been asked several times in this thread) just turn off the car. It resets automatically.
Old 11-18-05, 12:52 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

on public roads, it doesn't matter how good of a driver you think you are. lexus did the right thing by not making it a simple 'switch or button' to turn off certain stability controls. what is there to prove on public roads? nothing.
Old 11-18-05, 12:55 PM
carenthus
Driver

I can see it already.

From the local TV news channel report:

Today, in good sunny weather, a Lexus IS350 owner on Highway 69 crashed into a tree on the side of the highway. It was reported that the driver found some cheat code on the internet at ClubLexus.com and My.IS to disable the cars VDIM safety technology feature. A skid mark can be clearly seen leading up to the site of the crash. On the navigation screen read the message, "God Mode enabled". No one at the crash scene can explain what this phrase means. Now onto sports...
Old 11-18-05, 01:00 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carenthus
I can see it already.

From the local TV news channel report:

Today, in good sunny weather, a Lexus IS350 owner on Highway 69 crashed into a tree on the side of the highway. It was reported that the driver found some cheat code on the internet at ClubLexus.com and My.IS to disable the cars VDIM safety technology feature. A skid mark can be clearly seen leading up to the site of the crash. On the navigation screen read the message, "God Mode enabled". No one at the crash scene can explain what this phrase means. Now onto sports...

Don't forget they found a PS2 controller in his hands. That is some funny shiet
Old 11-18-05, 01:02 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
It really wasn't his opinion, it is actually a fact. If you don't personally like all the VDIM and trac control, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, his statement calling BS on your statement in which you said that you can control your car better than the computer (VDIM etc...), is a plain fact. If you don't want it on, fine, glad it is your *** on the line and not mine.

BTW- to everyone wondering how to turn it off (as it has been asked several times in this thread) just turn off the car. It resets automatically.

I also think a good driver can maneuver a car with VDIM off better than the computer can do. all the computer wants to do is basically shut everything down if it thinks you are going to or have lost control.

now for granny who goes around a corner too fast in the rain, yes, VDIM is perfect and much safer.
Old 11-18-05, 01:04 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Hope nobody dies over stupidity.
Old 11-18-05, 01:15 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShooExpert

Uh no. It was his opinion (not fact) and now your opinion too that VDIM can handle the car better than I can. It's my opinion that I can handle the car better than VDIM.

Two opinions, nobody is right, and nobody is wrong. Get it.?

Let me ask you this, if my rear end skids a little while going around a turn (oversteer), but I countersteer to correct, tell me why VDIM should need to kick in? A sliding car or momentary loss of traction does not always equate to a car out of control. VDIM presumes the car has lost all control. It doesn't know to a contribute a little or a lot, but I do.

Last edited by 4DOORFUN; 11-18-05 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-18-05, 01:18 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

vdim pretty much doesn't let the driver take any chances. better to play safe than sorry. now if you do want to prove something, take it to the track or to the ps2.
Old 11-18-05, 01:38 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Let's all remember if we all did what the manufacturer thought was best for us we wouldn't have mods at all... some things they do out of safety regulations, some out of bragging rights, some out of cost control, some, well, because of someone's opinion. It's nice to have the option to turn it off...

Will VDIM help me keep a tight line around a track? I don't know, I'll find out... Would it royally mess up my buddy who races professionally? Totally, as he knows the feel of the car and it would be another external force for him to struggle against... it would be a nuisance if you know what you're doing and are used to certain feelings already.

I'll likely have it on for day to day driving and turn it off when I go to the track. Just makes sense... I'm not going to be purposely exceeding the limits of the car on the street... and if the limits are pushed it's likely because I'm losing control because of some unforseen circumstance and therefor VDIM is my friend on the street, but on the track I want that go-kart experience, and you just can't get that with VDIM there.
Old 11-18-05, 01:41 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

if it wasnt posted here's the original article.

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2176

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)