IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DET NEWS IS 350 vs 330

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 10:15 PM
LexFather

Smile DET NEWS IS 350 vs 330

The conclusion I can understand almost. And I can argue that the 3 exterior may be nice than the IS exterior. Fine, that is arguable.

For them to pick the 3 interior over the IS is just ridiculous and I almost sent them a virus for that crap.

Read on

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...F01-383250.htm
Old 11-17-05, 10:20 PM
Eiso
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think IS and 3 are almost the same rating on the exterior. Interior...hmm...I would say they are the same too! They have their own Lexus/Bmw feel. But the rear exterior...I dont think new IS is any better...but the rear of 3 is definitely ugly.
Old 11-17-05, 10:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah I read that earlier. I totally disagree on there interior choice as well.
Old 11-17-05, 10:57 PM
speedyj88
Rookie

Uhm, theyre basically kissing BMW's rear end. I disagree with most of the stuff there. Safety features? I don't see how BMW wins that considering the is350 they tested had all the same features except the run flats...theyre misinformed.
Old 11-17-05, 11:07 PM
carenthus
Driver

It's funny how they pick the Bimmer as the winner in the Safety and Technology category.

They wrote:

"The 3-Series takes the lead with additional high-tech features: Rain-sensing wipers, adaptive headlights and adaptive brake lamps, as well as the aforementioned run-flat tires."

Then they mention a known fact that universally most people agree.

"One high-tech gizmo better left on the workbench is BMW's oft-maligned iDrive. "

The IS also has rain-sensing wipers and adaptive headlights too. I am puzzled. Earlier in the review, they complain that the run-flat tires were noisy.

Oh well, you cannot trust what you read on the internet all the time.
Old 11-17-05, 11:17 PM
speedyj88
Rookie

Originally Posted by carenthus
It's funny how they pick the Bimmer as the winner in the Safety and Technology category.

They wrote:

"The 3-Series takes the lead with additional high-tech features: Rain-sensing wipers, adaptive headlights and adaptive brake lamps, as well as the aforementioned run-flat tires."

Then they mention a known fact that universally most people agree.

"One high-tech gizmo better left on the workbench is BMW's oft-maligned iDrive. "

The IS also has rain-sensing wipers and adaptive headlights too. I am puzzled. Earlier in the review, they complain that the run-flat tires were noisy.

Oh well, you cannot trust what you read on the internet all the time.
That's exactly what I was saying. The only thing not on the IS is the run flats, and even then...they are easily added later. I hate subjective reports like this that have false information, just makes me sick.
Old 11-17-05, 11:25 PM
carenthus
Driver

Hey, cool.

We were reading and analyzing the same thing.

As I was typing my response, you submitted your post. After I submitted my post, I read your post and I go, "Hey that's exactly what I was thinking". High five!!!
Old 11-18-05, 03:30 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Of all the publications, and there are many that have some bias, I think Detroit News is very much against Lexus...what can you expect from a Detroit publication---lot closer to the Big 3 I guess.

From constantly referring to Lexus as "Toyota," the implicit dismissiveness is apparent. And "Brand Identity" as a category? That's loading the deck as a shoo-in for BMW.

And BRAVO to ISICK for considering the virus thingie, but not doing it. What are they smoking? I've sat inside the IS and 3series and by far the IS interior is more comfortable, more luxurious, and inviting. Plus in terms of safety technologies I don't think the 3 series has much of an advantage at all.

And in terms of looks the new IS is lightyears ahead of the 3, which looks like a mild update over the previous (dated) design.

Of course I'm a Lexus partisan, but to most observers I'd guess it's apparent this review was rather tilted to begin with, or at least the editorial tone evidences the bias.

OK, off soapbox now. I can see why Lexus execs were mad over the C&D mathematical error...etc. But so far press has been very, very good...all positive, just some quibbles at the top.
Old 11-18-05, 05:49 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The conclusion I can understand almost. And I can argue that the 3 exterior may be nice than the IS exterior. Fine, that is arguable.

For them to pick the 3 interior over the IS is just ridiculous and I almost sent them a virus for that crap.

Read on

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...F01-383250.htm

This is what I think.. I honestly think that there is an established understanding between BMW and journalists. I really think that they are monetarily taken care of by BMW to make such statements. Someone is getting rich
Old 11-18-05, 05:58 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I like both the 3 Series and the IS exterior styling, but to me, the 3 Series interior layout is very bland/boring in my opinion...IS interior is WAY sharper!
Old 11-18-05, 07:06 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

It bothers me so much when all reviews go in favor of BMW because of "intangible appeal" that is "difficult to quantify". They even said in the article, most categories had razor-thin margins between the two cars, except the powertrain, where the IS blew the 330 away. So of course, the logical winner... The 330???

And again in the interior - they say Lexus matches BMW feature for feature except that the Lexus includes leather standard, which you (ridiculously) have to pay extra for in the BMW. And the 330 wins this category too???

Calling the BMW the winner in safety is clearly an error. They were misinformed about the headlights and windshield wipers. Also, Lexus just won an award for its dual-chamber passenger airbag: http://www.popularmechanics.com/spec...ml?page=11&c=y

And, how could not even make a category for reliability?

It's upsetting to see this kind of thing published, but at the end of the day, we shouldn't be that upset about it, right? Most of us evaluated the two cars fairly and chose the Lexus. There are plenty of reasons to choose the BMW too. They are both great cars. It's just that the reasons to choose the BMW are *not* the ones listed in the review.
Old 11-18-05, 07:14 AM
IS 250 FAN
Rookie

to me, the 3's interrior is like sitting in a cave, while the IS is like sitting in your lazyboy at home. theres a tremendous difference. i think this guy is on crack.
Old 11-18-05, 07:22 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

It's one of those things that will never stop, or at least not in the forseeable future. I look at BMW a little like a Formula One car... I occasionally would like to drive one, but I wouldn't want to worry about the maintenance. Although in all honesty one drive in a formula one car is worth more than a lifetime worth of BMW drives.

I actually spoke to someone yesterday who called me and said his BMW 745 was in the shop all the time, but he didn't mind because when he went in he expected to buy garbage, because he knew when he went for service they would give him another piece of garbage to replace it... and he was fine with that because he didn't have to pay for the service... I just don't understand some people. That's like saying I'd like do have a dirty hamburger as long as it's delicious because I know when I complain they'll give me another....
Old 11-18-05, 07:37 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

OK I'm going to write to this newspaper. I'm going to be polite but just let them know that I disagree, and point out some of their factual errors.
Old 11-18-05, 08:16 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Here's what I wrote:

Dear Editor,

I just finished reading your recent article comparing the BMW 330i to the Lexus IS350. I would like to point out a few inaccuracies and disagree with some of your subjective conclusions.

First, I would like to disagree with your conclusion that the BMW's interior is superior to that of the IS. When I test drove the new 330i recently, I thought that its interior looked severely outdated. In addition, BMW is the only luxury car manufacturer I know of that still puts its CD changer in the trunk. Lexus has a single-slot in-dash 6 CD changer, which is clearly superior technology, as well as a larger LCD screen for the navigation (complete with backup camera). I was also surprised that you did not mark BMW down for requiring purchasers of its luxury sedan to pay extra for leather seating, a standard feature on the IS. The CD changer is also standard on the IS, but a $635 option on the BMW.

You also gave the edge to the BMW in safety and technology, which I do not agree with. You cited rain-sensing wipers and adaptive headlights as an advantage of the BMW, yet your Lexus test car, with an MSRP of almost $45,000, was surely equipped with either the luxury or sport package, which means that it actually did have both of these features. The Lexus has numerous other technological advantages as well, including a larger, touch-sensitive navigation screen, rear backup camera, optional front and rear parking sensors, heated and cooled front seats, and a standard audio in jack for playing output from any portable music player.

One other interior feature of the Lexus that you may have overlooked is the twin-chamber passenger airbag, which recently won a Popular Mechanics 2005 Breakthrough Award for safety. (http://www.popularmechanics.com/spec...1.html?page=11)

I was also surprised that you did not make any mention of reliability. Lexus is consistently ranked the most reliable car in the world. Here is a link to the most recent JD Powers and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study:
http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases...asp?ID=2005089
You will notice that Lexus is in first place by a healthy margin, while BMW is slightly above average.

Both the Lexus IS350 and the BMW 330i are fantastic cars, and some reviews by other publications have also chosen the BMW over the Lexus. However, most have done so simply because the BMW is more of a "driver's car": better handling, more fun to drive at speed, more responsive steering. If the "fun to drive" factor is most important, then I can certainly understand choosing the BMW over the Lexus. However, I disagree with your giving the nod to the BMW on interior features and safety. When I was comparing the two cars, I thought these were both categories that belonged to the Lexus.

Quick Reply: DET NEWS IS 350 vs 330