IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus loaner car policy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 08:46 PM
erock901
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus loaner car policy?

My Dad went into his lexus dealership today to have some warranty work done on his RX. When they gave him a loaner car, they told him he had to fill the gas tank back up to the level it was when he left the dealership. Is that standard Lexus policy? When I had my Infiniti G35 worked on, Infiniti never told me to fill the gas tank back up in the loaner car they gave me.

I know this isn’t that big of a deal but, I just want to know what to expect if I ever have to take my IS in for warranty work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Erock
Old 11-16-05, 08:55 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

I took my car in at 1000 miles to have the personalized settings done, and they gave me a loaner RX because I came came in at the end of the day. I returned it nearly on empty and they were ok with that.
Old 11-16-05, 09:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

My experience is just the opposite. No gas refills for Lexus loaners, but refill expected for Infiniti.
Old 11-16-05, 09:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Different dealers have different policies and even different loaner cars. A *few* dealerships use Toyotas or sometimes rental cars for their loaners, most use RX and ES models. Mine also used to use IS Sportcross.

My local dealer does not require the tank to be filled and they always give Lexus loaners.

Do a search on the forum for 'lexus loaner' and you'll find lots of different threads on this same topic to give you some good broad experience.

Examples among many others:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=lexus+loaner
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=lexus+loaner
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=loaner

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-16-05 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 03:42 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been dealing with the same Lexus dealership, Lexus of Silver Spring (Md.), for over 10 years and have NEVER been asked to refill a loaner (always a Lexus) vehicle. Most recently, my wife had to use a loaner for over 2 weeks because the service department was awaiting a part for the moonroof on our `04 GX470. In the instance I am referring to, rather than have us refill the tank and be reimbursed, the service department staff told my wife to come and get another loaner when the tank was empty. In my opinion, that's taking good care of your customer and that's the reason why I have purchased 5 Lexus vehicles from this dealership.
Old 11-17-05, 07:08 AM
mailman69
Driver School Candidate

LeslieRC - I live right down 29 from Lexus of Silver Spring and want to setup an order for a new IS350. Do you have any names down there for whom i should talk to?
Old 11-17-05, 07:30 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mailman69
LeslieRC - I live right down 29 from Lexus of Silver Spring and want to setup an order for a new IS350. Do you have any names down there for whom i should talk to?
My salesman was a guy named Mike Murphy. Mike is still at the dealership, but switched jobs and is now in the Service Department. If it were me, and I was in the market, I would call Mike and ask him to refer me to someone at the dealership. [It was my former salesman, from whom I had previously purchased 2 Lexus cars, who referred me to Mike.]

Here's an experience I had in `04, to give you some sense of this guy. I was driving my old `02 SC430 home when I hit a pothole and blew both front and rear tires. I telephoned Lexus Roadside Assistance and requested a flatbed tow. 5 hours and repeated telephone calls to Roadside Assistance later, and the tow never came. I telephoned the dealership, spoke with Mike and told him what had happened. He called another towing service and told me to call him in 15 minutes if the service did not arrive; he added that if the service wasn't there in 15 minutes he would personally come with a loaner for me and wait with my car. The tow truck arrived, took me and my car to the dealership where Mike had a loaner clean, gassed, and running for me.

Call Mike and let him know that I told you about this experience. Good luck!

Last edited by LeslieRC; 11-17-05 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 08:32 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Now that is good service....wish there were more salesman and saleswoman like that out there...I am sure there are you just got to find them (and this board is the way to do it)
Old 11-17-05, 01:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by erock901
My Dad went into his lexus dealership today to have some warranty work done on his RX. When they gave him a loaner car, they told him he had to fill the gas tank back up to the level it was when he left the dealership. Is that standard Lexus policy? When I had my Infiniti G35 worked on, Infiniti never told me to fill the gas tank back up in the loaner car they gave me.

I know this isn’t that big of a deal but, I just want to know what to expect if I ever have to take my IS in for warranty work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Erock
i think it is safe to assume that policy is set by the dealer. I dont see whats the problem though - if you had your car, you would still fill it up...
Old 11-17-05, 01:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my dealer always gives brand new RX and ES with a full tank or close and they tell me not to pput gas in it.
Old 11-17-05, 01:24 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I have never gotten a loaner vehicle from Lexus so far. But I have got a FX35 from an Infiniti dealer, and the guy told me to refill it to the orginial level when I returned the car. I guess it is understandable.
Old 11-17-05, 06:29 PM
Deven
Rookie

My dealer (Bell Lexus in Phoenix) asks $5.00 for the loaner. No need to fill gas. All things considered, especially with the price of gas being so high, not really a big deal. They usually give ES, RX or IS.
Old 11-17-05, 06:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i guess i am just lucky, i have gotten TONS of loaners before, but i have never had to fill up the gas at all (they come in all different level, you just fill it up if you have to), and i have never had to pay a dime for my loaner. heck, it's not like they pay me back for the time my car is in the shop anyway.

as long as it's a reasonable service (not an oil change...) it's all good
Old 11-17-05, 07:05 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

yeah, it varies by dealer. san diego has one dealer that charges a flat $15.00 for loaners, no gas refill needed. but i still think it's bogus and don't go there for service or for sales, because i don't like them anyway.

the other two dealers have free loaners but when you sign the form it says you should refill it, otherwise they'll charge you $5/gal. even though they say it, i never do it, and they never charge me for it. so don't worry if they say it or make you sign the paper. one time my sister brought back a loaner for me and picked up my car when i had to go out of town. not knowing, she filled up the loaner and when she got there she asked the guy if she could have left it empty, and they said yeah, you didn't have to fill it up.
Old 11-17-05, 07:38 PM
the lndr
Driver

I never had to put gas in at LEXUS of glendale they have always been good to me.

Quick Reply: Lexus loaner car policy?