IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Sedan or wait for a coupe?
Sedan
55.93%
Coupe
44.07%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Sedan or wait for the coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 05:08 PM
kingrach
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sedan or wait for the coupe?

Ok just wondering. Would you get the sedan or sacrafice and wait for a coupe?
Old 11-16-05, 05:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got the sedan.

I want the coupe, and I can wait for it. Hopefully, with VDIM off-button, manual tranny, and a hardtop convertible.

I can always sell the sedan anytime...
Old 11-16-05, 05:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

IS350 coupe(NO convertible top) would most interest me. (6MT or SMG tranny would be nice)
Old 11-16-05, 07:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Recently the Lexus IS chief engineer said that there are no plans at this time to build a 2 door coupe. Therefore, if you want to get an IS, the coupe is not in the pipeline for the next two years atleast.
Old 11-16-05, 07:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Recently the Lexus IS chief engineer said that there are no plans at this time to build a 2 door coupe.
Lexus can be sneaky though. They may not admit it, but there may be a coupe in the works.

Since BMW just released info on a possible coupe and hardtop convertible, Lexus needs (and will most likely) to be up to par with its competitors. Just like how Lexus premiered the IS during the same world premiere as the new 3-Series, I think Lexus will premiere a coupe and perhaps a convertible version in the near future along with the BMW 330Ci.
Old 11-16-05, 09:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I really want to see an IS coupe more or less similar to the photochopped picture that surfaced a few months ago. Now that would be hot.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lexus can be sneaky though. They may not admit it, but there may be a coupe in the works.

Since BMW just released info on a possible coupe and hardtop convertible, Lexus needs (and will most likely) to be up to par with its competitors. Just like how Lexus premiered the IS during the same world premiere as the new 3-Series, I think Lexus will premiere a coupe and perhaps a convertible version in the near future along with the BMW 330Ci.
Old 11-16-05, 09:49 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

yeah I would really like to see the hard top convert....if I ever get a convert it has to be hardtop...I just don't like the way soft tops look...
Old 11-17-05, 01:40 AM
flyfl1pguy

A sedan isnt that bad, but the coupe seems a little nicer. . I say go with the SEDAn. .
Old 11-17-05, 07:26 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Get the sedan because it's more convenient. If you want a convertible, there are tons of good choices out there. But for entry sports luxury sedan, IS350 is the way to go.
Old 11-17-05, 09:14 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

the sedan's styling is pretty slick for a 4-door already. A coupe may be a liitle sexier, but practicality goes down significantly. It takes a contortion act to climb in and out of the back seat, and the already limited rear room will only get smaller (look at G35C). I loved my G35C's styling, but always had to watch it when I opened the long door in order not to ding the next car or the garage wall. Of course if the coupe comes with significantly more performance, the answer is easy.
Old 11-17-05, 09:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by jlin101
A coupe may be a liitle sexier, but practicality goes down significantly. It takes a contortion act to climb in and out of the back seat, and the already limited rear room will only get smaller.
I think that if a coupe is made, the car's function will change significantly in the eyes of Lexus.

The main purpose of the car would be performance, rather than getting four people from point A to point B. Because of that, I think that there will be (gasp!) less space in the back, a manual, and hopefully, the much wanted (and competitively needed) VDIM off button. Also, I hope that a coupe will be significantly lighter; perhaps Lexus will make a lot of the standard amenities of the sedan optional for the coupe. If they have the IC350 starting at $32k because amenities become optional, then everyone and their wannabe-racer grandmothers will want one!
Old 11-17-05, 12:36 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2007 G35 coupe and sedan are to be unveiled in April, so i might have to wait for that too
Old 11-19-05, 06:58 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just don't believe they will make an IS coupe or IC coupe or whatever it's called. Lexus has been very rigid in it's production formula's....and they've been successful. Car manufacturers are a figid breed. Just look around. We have the technology to build a car that hardly ever breaks down and we don't. The market would change. We can make cars that float or fly but again, it would change too many things. We are basically doing the same thing we've done the last 200 years...driving 4 wheels automotons with gasoline combustion engines. Sorry for the diatribe but wanted a convincing point that I don't belive a coupe is coming. I HOPE I"M WRONG!
Old 11-19-05, 03:48 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

The question is: How could Lexus make a coupe/convertible that fits into the existing model lineup.

Coupes usually bring a premium over thier sedan counterparts, so a $32,000 stripper model is farfetched. A coupe based on the IS350 starting at ~$40K might get interest if a stick was in the equation, but I seriously doubt Lexus wants to make that car.

The current pricing structure doesn't leave much room below the SC430 and above what an IS-based topless car would cost. Assuming a folding hardtop based on the IS350 and, IMO, you are looking at a minimum of $46,000 for an opener and up from there with the existing option list pushing it up toward $60,000 quite quickly.

Which leaves us with the soft top option. Lexus has never done one and I don't think they ever will.
Old 11-19-05, 06:12 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB
The question is: How could Lexus make a coupe/convertible that fits into the existing model lineup.

Coupes usually bring a premium over thier sedan counterparts, so a $32,000 stripper model is farfetched. A coupe based on the IS350 starting at ~$40K might get interest if a stick was in the equation, but I seriously doubt Lexus wants to make that car.

The current pricing structure doesn't leave much room below the SC430 and above what an IS-based topless car would cost. Assuming a folding hardtop based on the IS350 and, IMO, you are looking at a minimum of $46,000 for an opener and up from there with the existing option list pushing it up toward $60,000 quite quickly.

Which leaves us with the soft top option. Lexus has never done one and I don't think they ever will.
I don't agree. Look at the e46 sedan and coupe. The coupe isn't significantly higher than the sedan. It may be higher but not enough to take into another price category. Lexus and any other manufacturer can do the same...if they want.

Quick Reply: Sedan or wait for the coupe?