IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Turn off those damn seatbelt alarms!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 10:01 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn off those damn seatbelt alarms & SOLUTION!

Anyone, anyone, Bueller? I like to take my belt off as I'm coming down my street, probably 45 seconds before i get to the driveway. I did it the first day i brought the car home....and....ding ding ding ding ding ding....and then if you dont plug it back in, its gets FASTER!!! it eventually will turn itself off after about a minute, but come on, im a big boy, i dont need the car telling me to put on the belt and then have it get mad at me when i dont!!! I dont mind the flashing lights, but there HAS to be a way to turn that damn alarm off!

Solution:
1. turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake
2. cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B)
3. turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position
4. unbuckle the driver's seatbelt if it was buckled.
5. turn the key to the ON position. when the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds. (editor's note, hold it more like 30 sec)
6. while still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.
7. the odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.
8. the process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off.

thanks to knox_sport!

Last edited by umpalumpa; 06-03-07 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Found the answer...
The following 2 users liked this post by umpalumpa:
Hovnov (11-21-19), LitoLex250 (02-02-22)
Old 11-15-05, 10:27 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Look in ur manual buddy...I turned mines off.
Old 11-15-05, 10:40 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Default I will, right now...

Originally Posted by IS350S
I guess i just sort of figured that you couldnt - but I looked earlier and there was no reference to it. Thanks for just not telling me the answer, that would just be too nice of you. Gotta love the helpful people...

Last edited by umpalumpa; 11-15-05 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NormzGS350 (02-12-22)
Old 11-15-05, 10:50 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I would tell you answer but its a sequence of steps that I dont remember.
Old 11-16-05, 01:02 AM
Eiso
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S
Sweet the manual actually tells you that. When I got my Scion, it wasnt in there. I had to find it on forums.
Old 11-16-05, 08:02 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Default Looked harder, but still couldnt find it....

Anyone know? Maybe a page number in the manual?
Old 11-16-05, 08:04 AM
viet658
Driver

That manual is like a book, a couple hundred pages. It's hard to find anything in there. Page number would definitely help.
Old 11-16-05, 11:43 AM
MD727
Rookie

I've looked every place I can think of - and there are not any instructions on how to disable the seatbelt alarms - frankly, Id be surprised if there were - think about the liability Lexus would have if they knowingly told you how to turn them off and you were then injured/killed in accident...I'm calling BS on whoever said it was in the manual....I'd be the first to apologize if I was wrong - just show me the page number or instructions...cause I'd love to tun them off...
Old 11-16-05, 11:50 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad that the seat belt alarms are so annoying. I hate when my girlfriend doesnt wear her seatbelt.

Though, if you do find the instructions please post them. I dont have an IS350 yet
Old 11-16-05, 11:57 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Default Lol!

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I am glad that the seat belt alarms are so annoying. I hate when my girlfriend doesnt wear her seatbelt.

Though, if you do find the instructions please post them. I dont have an IS350 yet
thats funny, i would ALWAYS chew out my girlfriend (now wife) when she didnt put it on. I would treat her like a little kid and say "this car doesnt move until everyone buckles up!" i dont know why people dont wear seat belts. im sure there is some study that shows that an audible alarm increases the chances that someone will buckle up as opposed to just the flashing light, but to me its just a tad annoying.
Old 11-16-05, 12:26 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
thats funny, i would ALWAYS chew out my girlfriend (now wife) when she didnt put it on. I would treat her like a little kid and say "this car doesnt move until everyone buckles up!" i dont know why people dont wear seat belts. im sure there is some study that shows that an audible alarm increases the chances that someone will buckle up as opposed to just the flashing light, but to me its just a tad annoying.
LOL they should put a speed/rev limiter at 5mph/1000rpm or something if the seat belts aren't in place. THAT's gotta be annoying enough.
Old 11-16-05, 12:37 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Why would you take off your belt 45 seconds before you get home. Sounds real stupid to me (I'm not calling you stupid, just the act of taking the belt off 45 seconds before you get home). Didn't you ever read the studies that show the majority of accidents happen within 5 miles of the home...
Old 11-16-05, 12:49 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Default good question

and i've thought about that study you mentioned but im talking like 100yards from my house at the end of a cul de sac. i dont know why i do it to be honest, but i've done it for a long time! again, im only going like 15-20mph and its kind of like a long driveway to me. even if i were to take the belt off going up my REAL driveway, the beeping would bug me. it goes off if you are just BACKING OUT of your driveway to wash it. for some reason, i just never take the belt off AFTER i put the car in park. maybe im just always in too much of a hurry! my buddy drove the car and he took off the belt as we hit the driveway and he was surprised to hear the alarm...i hear what you are saying, i should change my habit! i still want the beeping to stop...again, im a TOTAL seatbelt advocate so dont get mad at me. i like the idea of the car not going over 5mph to make you put it on...LOL! maybe they could make the alarm go off once you hit 15mph or something, like the door locks. theres my compromis
Old 11-16-05, 12:53 PM
MD727
Rookie

Let's stay on topic here -- which is, does anyone know how to disable this annoying feature? If someone decides not to wear their seatbelt it's their choice and more importaly this isn't the forum for that topic - so, how can we disable this annoying, nagging, pain in the butt feature!!!
Old 11-16-05, 01:09 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MD727
Let's stay on topic here -- which is, does anyone know how to disable this annoying feature? If someone decides not to wear their seatbelt it's their choice and more importaly this isn't the forum for that topic - so, how can we disable this annoying, nagging, pain in the butt feature!!!
Well in theory you can crack open the seat belt latch and short-circuit the switch inside and it'll think it's buckled all the time.

Quick Reply: Turn off those damn seatbelt alarms!?!?