IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is this true...28GB of DVD music?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 10:13 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound may play on a DVD but I doubt you would get the track / artist display on the screen.
Old 11-16-05, 11:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I don't see why not. The only things that are disabled while the car is moving are the video part of a DVD movie and the ability to access certain navigation functions.
right, in this case, DVD is just storage media, not an format. So it will have same features as mp3's burned on cd...
Old 11-29-05, 04:54 AM
swisslexusclub
Driver

Unlike the GS, the new IS does play MP3 and WMA burned on a DVD-ROM disc, BUT only if the IS is equipped with BOTH Nav and ML. Only this configuration will get you a DVD changer instead of just a CD changer. End of story.

And yeah, burning them on dual-layer discs is even more awesome.
Is this confirmed? Does a fully equipped (Nav AND ML) 2IS play MP3 DVD's?
Old 11-29-05, 05:32 AM
|mpulse
Rookie

I have the nav without the ML... I wonder if it's at all possible to purchase a DVD changer and swap it into my car...
Old 11-29-05, 07:15 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

while it would be cool if new IS can play mp3 on DVD, i dont think Lexus or ML built in the capobility for DVD player to read/play data DVD which would be needed in this case.

on ML web site it only lists following media:
CD, CD-R, DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio discs.

also there could be limitations such as 99 songs per folder and 99 folders yada yada yada

now since DVD audio format is listed and can be played here is a way to expand on that:
take a CD, convert it into wav format on your PC, then use special software(dont remember the name) which will conver and burn it onto DVD in DVD audio format. Given that DVD fits around 4.7gb of data, you can fit around 80-90 regular sonds (2 channel Stereo, 2 channel Surround Sound, which ever recording was used on CD)

now you'll say: but that same thing can be done with regular CD filled with songs in mp3 format, (about same amount of songs of comparable sound quality)

but you are forgetting one thing, mp3 is comprassed format which results in lose of quality, while DVD audio is not comprased and quality stays the same.

forgive me if i'm not clear, if you need aditional explonation let me know.

lots of info on convertin CD into DVD audio can be found on Acura TL forum, DVD audio is standard on TL for last 2 years, so they have 2 year head start on fingering out best way to do it.

Last edited by EvgeshaIS300; 11-29-05 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-29-05, 11:24 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EvgeshaIS300
while it would be cool if new IS can play mp3 on DVD, i dont think Lexus or ML built in the capobility for DVD player to read/play data DVD which would be needed in this case.

on ML web site it only lists following media:
CD, CD-R, DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio discs.

also there could be limitations such as 99 songs per folder and 99 folders yada yada yada

now since DVD audio format is listed and can be played here is a way to expand on that:
take a CD, convert it into wav format on your PC, then use special software(dont remember the name) which will conver and burn it onto DVD in DVD audio format. Given that DVD fits around 4.7gb of data, you can fit around 80-90 regular sonds (2 channel Stereo, 2 channel Surround Sound, which ever recording was used on CD)

now you'll say: but that same thing can be done with regular CD filled with songs in mp3 format, (about same amount of songs of comparable sound quality)

but you are forgetting one thing, mp3 is comprassed format which results in lose of quality, while DVD audio is not comprased and quality stays the same.

forgive me if i'm not clear, if you need aditional explonation let me know.

lots of info on convertin CD into DVD audio can be found on Acura TL forum, DVD audio is standard on TL for last 2 years, so they have 2 year head start on fingering out best way to do it.
I understand that an audio cd sounds better than mp3's ripped from that cd, but are you saying that an audio CD burned from MP3's sounds better than the MP3's from which it was decompressed from? As I recall, data is lost every time it gets converted to a different format, namely, you can not regain the lost data, thus fidelity, by converting mp3 back to audio cd format. It can never be as good as the original. Converting thousands of mp3's to wave files, then into DVD-A seems like a very time-consuming and inefficient method, esp for listening in a relatively noisy environment such as a car's interior. MP3's on CD-R should be equal to, if not better, than MP3's on iPod (without the potential electrical noise/ground hum from the aux input).
Old 11-29-05, 11:29 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlin101
I understand that an audio cd sounds better than mp3's ripped from that cd, but are you saying that an audio CD burned from MP3's sounds better than the MP3's from which it was decompressed from? As I recall, data is lost every time it gets converted to a different format, namely, you can not regain the lost data, thus fidelity, by converting mp3 back to audio cd format. It can never be as good as the original. Converting thousands of mp3's to wave files, then into DVD-A seems like a very time-consuming and inefficient method, esp for listening in a relatively noisy environment such as a car's interior. MP3's on CD-R should be equal to, if not better, than MP3's on iPod (without the potential electrical noise/ground hum from the aux input).
I was about to say the same. Couldn't have said it better though.
Old 11-29-05, 12:19 PM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

i never said conver mp3 to wave, i said conver CD to wave. but you right on mp3 to wave conversion quality is lost.

and yes external mp3 unit is best solution.

the best mp3 integration into stock audio from factory i have seen so far is done by Audi, where unit has 2 SD card (now thats up to 4gb) slots behind folding nav screen, on screen id3 tag. not sure if they integrated some kind of playlist capobilities, as i havent played with it enough in my friends s4.
Old 11-29-05, 12:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EvgeshaIS300
i never said conver mp3 to wave, i said conver CD to wave. but you right on mp3 to wave conversion quality is lost.

and yes external mp3 unit is best solution.

the best mp3 integration into stock audio from factory i have seen so far is done by Audi, where unit has 2 SD card (now thats up to 4gb) slots behind folding nav screen, on screen id3 tag. not sure if they integrated some kind of playlist capobilities, as i havent played with it enough in my friends s4.
Haha... sorry I guess I misunderstood your previous post, but then you seem to have misunderstood jlin101's last post as well. He was saying that an internal MP3 unit is a better solution because it avoids "the potential electrical noise/ground hum from the aux input", not the other way around.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-29-05 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 12:51 PM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Haha... sorry I guess I misunderstood your previous post, but then you seem to have misunderstood jlin101's last post as well. He was saying that an internal MP3 unit is a better solution because it avoids "the potential electrical noise/ground hum from the aux input", not the other way around.
yeh true i didnt think about "the potential electrical noise/ground hum from the aux input"

i was thinking about external unit in sense of most storage space, given mp3 recorded at higher bit rate.
Old 11-29-05, 03:47 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I really don't plan to play audio DVDs, the mp3 on CD deal with ok but I hated the folders, etc. My iPod is way more convenient. If anyone would like me to try out something, I would be more than happy to experiment with whatever equipment and software I have access to. But I really don't plan to implement this, I would much prefer music videos and a hack to watch and drive.

I have ML+Nav and access to some equipment including a dual-layer next month.
Old 11-29-05, 06:10 PM
webhed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SGT
Yep, you're correct, but I can convert my MP3's into AC3 format and then burn them onto an audio DVD and play them on the ML.

What burning program did you use? Freeware available?
Old 11-29-05, 06:12 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by webhed
What burning program did you use? Freeware available?
It's called Audio DVD Creator but it's not freeware.
Old 11-30-05, 05:55 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
I really don't plan to play audio DVDs, the mp3 on CD deal with ok but I hated the folders, etc. My iPod is way more convenient. If anyone would like me to try out something, I would be more than happy to experiment with whatever equipment and software I have access to. But I really don't plan to implement this, I would much prefer music videos and a hack to watch and drive.

I have ML+Nav and access to some equipment including a dual-layer next month.
you can simply burn mp3's onto a CD-R without folders, although someone mentioned earlier there was a limit of 99 files/songs in each folder. As each CD-R (700mb) can hold well over 100 songs, catagorizing the songs into folders is both a convenience and a necessity. Same way you wouldn't organize all of your mp3 into ONE giant folder on the iPod.
Old 11-30-05, 07:01 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

So with a 6 disc in-dash cd quality player, why bother with all the stuff and signal loss?

Quick Reply: Is this true...28GB of DVD music?