IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why doesn't Lexus build better handling cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 03:24 PM
OUMalibu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why doesn't Lexus build better handling cars?

If you compare similar Lexus and BWM models, the Lexus is generally superior except for one important area: handling.

Now, I realize there is somewhat of a comfort/handling tradeoff, but they aren't mutually exclusive concepts. In fact, most will admit that while the 330 handles much better than the new IS, it also rides almost as well.

So, if it's a marketing plan, who would rather not have a lot better handling -- especially in cars like the IS -- in exchange for a little compromise on ride comfort?

I'm beginning to believe it's not so much a matter of them making that choice, but rather lacking the engineering expertise to approach what BMW does so well.

BTW, this will be my 4th Lexus so I'm very brand loyal, but they would murder BMW in sales if their cars could compete in handling.

Last edited by OUMalibu; 11-11-05 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 03:41 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

lexus figures they are accomodating older folks who want the comfort and softer feel. for the ones that really want handling superiority, that would sacrifice the comfort and softness. plus toyota knows that they always have aftermarket companies that have parts available such as coilovers and such which would allow that car to be more race-prepped if needed. just look at team lexus' is350. i bet you that thing will out handle the m3. lexus isn't trying to sell the general public a race car, they just want to offer the best reliable daily driven machine. : )

Last edited by Badman Forever; 11-11-05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 03:59 PM
OUMalibu
Rookie

Badman, then why not offer a true sport handling option on at least the IS and GS?

It seems like the large majority that post here would be all over it and they would get a lot of buyers away from BMW.
Old 11-11-05, 04:36 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OUMalibu
Badman, then why not offer a true sport handling option on at least the IS and GS?

It seems like the large majority that post here would be all over it and they would get a lot of buyers away from BMW.
Well, the large majority here in CL only make a small among of Lexus buyers/owners ( I said less than 5%). Most of the time the Lexus owners not even know the HP rating of their cars,but they're happy about their cars. You can not judge what the car manufacturer should do by reading on the internet forums.
Old 11-11-05, 04:39 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also consider that bmw has the m3 line available....mercedes has the amg...why doesnt lexus have even a TRD version?
Old 11-11-05, 04:59 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

now that toyota has pretty much taken over the automotive world.. my educated guess would be that yes, they have something up their sleeves that will lay the smackdown on the higher end performance cars in its class. hopefully it will satisfy all the e-racers on here too.
Old 11-11-05, 06:19 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
also consider that bmw has the m3 line available....mercedes has the amg...why doesnt lexus have even a TRD version?
how sick would that be? TRD Lexuses.
Old 11-11-05, 07:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's very simple. It comes down to money. Lexus has been very successful with their current formula. It has brought them to the top of the game. Imo, Lexus is the best marque in the world. Why would they want to screw up a successful formula. If you were making a million bucks doing things a certain way you change it? Not me. I'm happy as long as the aftermarket produces suspension setups for pur cars.
Look at it this way. Lexus is helping to keep companies like Tein in business because we're forced to buy suspension setups from them.
Old 11-11-05, 07:08 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know about your argument that a BMW is a better handling car. I have driven BMW's before and had owned a 330i, and hey I just came driving S from the 405 freeway on my IS350 (non-sport) and this car just handles awesome. I think subconsciously all the ads regarding BMW being the ultimate driving machine has brain washed all of us.
Old 11-11-05, 07:52 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by izzyracer
I do not know about your argument that a BMW is a better handling car. I have driven BMW's before and had owned a 330i, and hey I just came driving S from the 405 freeway on my IS350 (non-sport) and this car just handles awesome. I think subconsciously all the ads regarding BMW being the ultimate driving machine has brain washed all of us.
no, i'm pretty sure the BMW handles better. Lol.

By the by, whereabouts on the 405 could you possibly find enough turns to determine how well that car of yours handles?
Old 11-11-05, 07:54 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by reggiek
Look at it this way. Lexus is helping to keep companies like Tein in business because we're forced to buy suspension setups from them.

there about a million and one companies that make suspensions setups, including but not limited to K&W, H&R, JIC, Buddy Club, HKS, etc. etc.

If you take Lexus purchasers, then subtract the number of them who could care less about throwing a sport / race suspension on their cars and divide by the number of possible suspension solutions one could possibly go with, I really doubt Lexus is helping keep companies like Tein in business.
Old 11-11-05, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Well, the large majority here in CL only make a small among of Lexus buyers/owners ( I said less than 5%). Most of the time the Lexus owners not even know the HP rating of their cars,but they're happy about their cars. You can not judge what the car manufacturer should do by reading on the internet forums.
On top of that its not like Lexus handles bad. No Lexus has ever gotten reviews its unsafe or feels sloppy. The reviews say "we would like MORE" of this.

IS, what car is sportier, maybe one or two(G35/330)? And the last IS was as hardcore as they come from a luxury carmaker.
THe GS has always been praised for couple like handling despite its size. The Infiniti M and BMW 5 are sportier, thats about it.
The LS is not TO BE a sporty car, it excels at what it does.
THe ES as well.

So not sure what the fuss is, you really want a sports car, buy a Porsche, not a luxury badged car
Old 11-11-05, 07:57 PM
LexFather

And if you want a sportier Lexus, easy, mod it I am sure the IS 350 suspension parts will come soon.

As much as the mags blow smoke up all your asses about being sporty, etc etc, as VVTi stated, WHEN DO YOU DRIVE LIKE THAT? THink about it?

Lexus will NEVER be the sportiest, its not their way or intent.
Old 11-11-05, 07:58 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus will NEVER be the sportiest, its not their way or intent.
++++++++++++++++++1
Old 11-11-05, 08:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
My sentiments exactly!

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Lexus build better handling cars?