12.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Is NAV worth it

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 07:05 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

For those that have it, Is the new IS NAV easy enough to use like say on your first test drive or does it require you to read the manuel to figure out how to operate it.

I plan to call the dealer and request that my test drive is equipped with the Nav so I can get a feel if I really want it (which I am sure I do) but I have never used a NAV before.
Old 11-11-05, 10:53 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
For those that have it, Is the new IS NAV easy enough to use like say on your first test drive or does it require you to read the manuel to figure out how to operate it.

I plan to call the dealer and request that my test drive is equipped with the Nav so I can get a feel if I really want it (which I am sure I do) but I have never used a NAV before.
It does come with its own manual, but when the nav was first introduced, I figured it out on my own without ever opening the book. Its that easy. If I can do so can you!
Just have the salesperson "set it up" to follow your test drive so you can see it in action and then have him show you all the cool features on it. If you have a bluetooth phone, bring it so they can demonstrate that as well.
Old 11-12-05, 03:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YYZlexus
Is it worth the dough?
I voted yes -- a nav system is a must.

But is it worth the dough? Not exactly. Most nav systems are overpriced and depreciate so fast. A nav system added is about $2-3k across the board for most car companies, but only adds $500-800 in resale value.

As nice as the new gen nav system is on the new IS, newer technology will pop up as early as tomorrow and make this system obsolete.

It is worth it? No. Is it a must have? Yes. You can say that about anything in the luxury department...
Old 11-12-05, 08:18 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I voted yes -- a nav system is a must.

But is it worth the dough? Not exactly. Most nav systems are overpriced and depreciate so fast. A nav system added is about $2-3k across the board for most car companies, but only adds $500-800 in resale value.

As nice as the new gen nav system is on the new IS, newer technology will pop up as early as tomorrow and make this system obsolete.

It is worth it? No. Is it a must have? Yes. You can say that about anything in the luxury department...

So then all automakers are making a huge profit on these Nav's? I didn't realize the resale value dropped that much? Wow that is a huge drop. I would have thought it would be a good resale value when you go to sell your car but I guess if you sell it in 4 years then the technology on your Nav is way out of date, huh?

I thought Nav's were pretty much all the same except for how they are executed, design and higher use of graphics. Don't you think this new Gen of Nav in the IS will be technology that will take you into say the next 4 or 5 years?
Old 11-12-05, 09:28 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So then all automakers are making a huge profit on these Nav's? I didn't realize the resale value dropped that much? Wow that is a huge drop. I would have thought it would be a good resale value when you go to sell your car but I guess if you sell it in 4 years then the technology on your Nav is way out of date, huh?

I thought Nav's were pretty much all the same except for how they are executed, design and higher use of graphics. Don't you think this new Gen of Nav in the IS will be technology that will take you into say the next 4 or 5 years?
Yes, don't believe the hype. IMO nav is teh best.

Last edited by kensteele; 11-12-05 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 12:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes Nav is totally worth it. Comes in handy when you least expected. Definite bonus if you're a bluetooth user (broo-toof). lol.
Old 11-12-05, 03:28 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Why do they call it bluetooth anyway?

I'm with Verizon so hopefully they will come out w/ some updated bluetooth phones compatible with the new IS by fall of 2007 when I purchase. That's like the coolest thing being able to make a call from your NAV and having it come over the speaker system. What happens if you are listening to the radio or CD really loud, will you miss your call???

Can't wait til next year.
Old 11-12-05, 03:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

happens if you are listening to the radio or CD really loud, will you miss your call???

Can't wait til next year.
The CD will pause where it last left off once a call is picked up or dialed out.
Old 11-15-05, 08:29 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Here's what I would call a major technological improvement:

1.If you drive thru a tunnel or underground garage, the Navi will still register well because it will rely on direct vehicle inputs when the signal is weak. So this is done today already, it's significant, and most standalones don't or can't do this I believe. check this off.
Yes, this is very handy!

2.If the Navi could figure out your driving habits, you wouldn't need shortest route, no tolls, avoid one-way streets, etc. The Navi would know that you like to take freeways because they are quicker even tho longer, that you avoid city traffic, and perhaps you like to take rural routes. Right now, no Nav does this that I am aware of. Navi would know this after analysing 1,000s of miles of your driving (and the car even knows who's driving).
The problem with this is - you want to use the nav to tell you where to go, yet you also want the nav to use your selected path to find out about your driving habits. This wouldn't work if you just follow the nav's directions all the time. Do you mean, the nav would be watching you, even when you aren't using it for guidance? Because otherwise you're just going to be driving where it tells you to, and it will be hard for it to learn much about you... I personally think it's easier just to tell it, don't use surface roads, do use toll roads, etc. If you know your habits anyway, why not just tell it.

3.Download traffic information and affect your routing appropriately. When they accomplish this, I'll call it a leap in technology. Would be awesome to see ahead of time that the Missouri river bridge is "red" or bumper-to-bumper when I'm still 20 miles away. Real time data.
Acura already does this: http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=24880
Hopefully more companies will do it soon.

[QUOTE] 4.I'd like to see points of interest get updated over the air every quarter. Better yet, when you drive across the city, your Nav is automatically updated with local beacons that transmit updated info from that quadrant. You don't have to wait for an update disc each year, your city is responsible for keeping it's data current. Add some adverts too if you wish.
[QUOTE]
Great idea, although adding wireless internet capability might be expensive!

5.Finally, my favourite; relief. I like contour lines and topographic info found in Delorme's Topo 5.0, I want to see the terrailn. Yes it's flat in Kansas, but when they add this to the Navi...view #1: regular; view #2: sattelite picture like in Google Earth; view #3: weather maps/radar picture/precip; view #4: topographic.. now Nav technology has arrived.

Yes it's expensive and it requires broadband (maybe a subscription) and it's distracting to the driver, that's today....I predict tomorrow it will happen.
Weather would be a logical next step after traffic... Good idea! Maybe it could even route you around big storms, if there are two good ways to your destination, and one is getting poured on while the other is dry...

My other idea: HUD guidance. Right now we have lane guidance and voice guidance, but I bet at some point in the future, there will be technology that actually projects your path on the road onto your windshield, so it looks like there's an arrow or something on the road guiding you the right direction. Fighter jets have had something like this for a while - interactive real-time HUD that points out targets, terrain features, landing strips, etc. I bet in the future this technology will be cheap enough to put in cars.
Old 11-15-05, 04:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, correct. Nav will understand your driving habits 24/7, not just only when you use it.

For example, I take a certain route to work everyday. Not the shortest, not the quickest, but the kensteele route. You would think about 5 years, when I program route "to work" it would show me kensteele route, not something else. Navi should know that I don't like to enter the freeway during rush out, I prefer 4 lane highways, I like one-way steets, and I rather drive curves than at right angles. but I know, that's asking a lot. But to me, that will be a technology breakthru.
Old 11-16-05, 01:04 AM
Eiso
Driver

I think nowadays you just shouldnt get a car without navigation, just my .02
Old 11-18-05, 06:26 AM
HokiPoki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eiso
I think nowadays you just shouldnt get a car without navigation, just my .02
Yep - I agree. All cars I get going forward will have nav. Infact, I wish sites like autotrader and carmax had easier ways to search for cars with nav.

Only downside I see is the navigation systems keep getting better. I had a 2001 Audi TT with nav and it was terrrible but still I found it useful. It was cd based and would only show directions but no maps.
Now the BMW nav in the 2004 Mini is better with a map display like most and it dosen't lock you out once you start moving. Its still not touch screen and only has one button that you can rotate and press to select. It is terrible to try to enter in a new address that is not in your "address book". It needs a back button like web browsers. There was a firmware upgrade that I downloaded/burned a CD/ and installed which improved the graphics.
The nav in the 2004 Lexus is better but still locks out some functionality (now you can bypass the lockout with some keypresses before starting trip).
Old 11-18-05, 02:05 PM
Dr C
Driver

I've been using the work around that was on this forum so that the Nav system input will work while moving. (Menu, Volume, upper left corner, lower left corner, upper left corner, lower left corner, OVERRIDE - hold for beep) and it works -- just takes a second to enter it in before you put the car in drive.

With the work around, I like the system.
Old 11-21-05, 03:53 PM
HokiPoki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dr C
I've been using the work around that was on this forum so that the Nav system input will work while moving. (Menu, Volume, upper left corner, lower left corner, upper left corner, lower left corner, OVERRIDE - hold for beep) and it works -- just takes a second to enter it in before you put the car in drive.

With the work around, I like the system.
I tested this out in the new RX400h at the auto show over the weekend. So it works in the new ones too.
Old 11-21-05, 07:23 PM
McDonough
Rookie

I've been in cars with Nav, and frankly I don't get it. I guess I know my way around, and I can do a lot with $1500 plus in my life. Seems to me, they get out of date fast, that would be my biggest problem with paying big bucks for it.

Quick Reply: Is NAV worth it