IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do it yourself oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 06:12 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do it yourself oil change

Does anybody know how hard it is to get to the oil filter on the 350? Is it accesible from under the car or is it there after you remove the engine cover?

I have always changed my own oil and don't want to switch now...My IS is on order so I can't check it out myself
Old 11-09-05, 06:21 PM
dang_is250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter

Along those same lines, I asked the service guy at my dealer how much the oil filter was and he said it was $9 each! I wonder if you go to a toyota dealership if it would be any cheaper? If so, would the IS use an oil filter similar to that of the V6 camry?
Old 11-09-05, 06:51 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

I hear you Dang IS250. If you're old school like me, you don't want a 'monkey ' up under your car!
I have a site for you.---> http://www.wixfilters.com/
Click on filter look up, they have the IS250 and 350 already listed. its easy to use. if I can remember the other web site, they sell wix filters at wholesale. I seen it on the Dodge truck forum. Wix is one of the best filters going, they are made in Gastonia NC.

SJGIS350 it looks like according to Wix, that maybe the filter is a cartridge. The wix filter page says their listing could change. I guess they need to get a hold of one first. I suggest you look up a toyota that may have close to the same motor and read the details of that filter to determine if its spin on or cartridge. They maybe close, best guess. I would like to know where the filter is also. I do my own oil, transmission fluid and if I feel lucky somedays will swap out coolant. Especially if I have to change a thermostat. But I had better not have to if I'm spending 40K + for this thing!

Do you all know if IS350 has struts or shock absorbers? I look under the car at the dealer , they all thought I was crazy for wanting to look at the the car on a lift. But I don't want to buy a pig in a poke. I want to see the technology. I like to change my own brake pads, so I like to know what I'm buying .
Let me know
Old 11-09-05, 07:35 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Good thread.

The EVO forums have an entire stickied "how-to" section, you guys should do the same here. I don't intend on taking the time to trek my car to the dealership and pay someone to change the oil when you can buy the filter and the oil for a fraction of the cost, jack up the car, and take care of business.

I've never dealt with a car where the filter wasn't easily unscrewable from the underside of the car, but it would be good to know what the situation on the is350 is.
Old 11-09-05, 08:01 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Default Cartridge?

I find it interesting that the filter would be cartridge rather than spin on..I always thought of spin on as newer technology than cartridge.

http://www.viperclub.org/instruction...s/image003.jpg

shows a picture of a way to get a low sitting car high enough to get under it. I used something similar on an S2000 and it worked great.
Old 11-09-05, 08:35 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
I find it interesting that the filter would be cartridge rather than spin on..I always thought of spin on as newer technology than cartridge.

http://www.viperclub.org/instruction...s/image003.jpg

shows a picture of a way to get a low sitting car high enough to get under it. I used something similar on an S2000 and it worked great.
yeah, they're called Rhino Ramps, and can be picked up for under $20 at pep boys. For those of you with lowered cars that won't clear the Rhino Ramps (like my evo), Takata sells these ramps that they call "low-down ramps" that are even shorter.
Old 11-10-05, 06:32 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

That Viper pic of the ramps is sort of something like, that I've been using for about 15 years now. I have a 7' long 2X10 flat, with another 2 X 10 screwed flat on top of it flat, about 3.5 feet long. Then on top of it a 3/4 inch thick plywood pad on each end. The ply wood pads let me know when I'm getting to the end of the boards. Better stop, don't want to overrun it that's for sure !!
It raise's the car little by little as you pull up on it, sort of like steps. Solid, long, no scooting. Sort of like the viper pic with the pine board in front of the plastic ramps. They are heavy, so don't carry them a half mile, cause they'll wear you out. I've using them for years, just round the edges so as not to cut the tire. Gets the job done.

Them boys over on the Mercedes boards talk about using some little pump siphoning the oil out via the dipstick. I can't see it getting all the oil out of the oil pan. That oil dipstick is low on the left side of the engine on the IS350. Have to drain the bottom if you want to do it right.

I agree cartridge filters old technology. spin on filter are easier and less mess. But I guess if you do away with the metal 'can' you can save on material and the cartridge should cost less, and less to throw away on the environment. who knows.

I like working on the car myself, I hope I can do some of the maintenance stuff myself on the 350. On my Dodge Ram you can climb up into the engine bay, hang out and work on everything.
we'll see.
Let me know if you all find out it the IS has shocks or struts?
Thanks!
Old 11-25-05, 09:24 AM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Default Anybody do this yet?

Still interested to know if anybody knows where and how hard the IS350 oil filter is to get to
Old 11-26-05, 09:32 PM
Josh Combs
Driver School Candidate

I have yet to change oil on a IS250 or 350 my guess is that they went with the cartridge filter like they did on the GS300. But the GS430 has a regular V8 oil filter on it.

Oh yeah the motor is only in the IS250 and 350 are only in the IS' and not in any camery's as of yet.
Old 01-10-06, 06:55 PM
erock901
Rookie

Bump. Has anyone had a chance to do their own oil change on an 2nd gen IS yet? If so, please let us know how it went and if there's any instruction you can provide.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-06, 08:40 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I too do my own oil changes and all maintenance. No one ever done an oil change yet?? Or know what type of oil filter the IS uses? I'm sure its the typical screw on metal oil filter.

Also the cartridge type filter is pretty easy to replace especially when its on top of the engine compartment like the BMW has.
Old 01-10-06, 08:50 PM
MicahIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to do my own soon also, I have been looking into it and it appears we share the same filter as the 05-06 Avalon according to Wix's site. I'm going to check out the Toyota dealer and just ask for an 06 Avalon filter and see what it costs. Then try to figure it out on my own.. If anyone has any tips please share or i'll post my findings after attempting it myself.
Old 01-11-06, 10:44 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think i saw oil filter here and i don't think it's 9 dollars...

http://www.lexus-parts.com/