IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Center console update and Ipod noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 09:15 AM
gstois
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console update and Ipod noise

On the original center console thread, we discussed an adapter from Radio Shack that enables the armrest to be closed with the charger plugged in.

Well, in addition to the adapter, I bought an iGo universal charger that is low profile and actually allows the armrest to close with it plugged directly into the socket. It appears as if the oversized phone chargers are the problem, not the car. Well, maybe:

Now that I have things working, I plugged my Ipod into the charger and turned on the radio and noticed considerable engine noise coming from the speakers. What do you think, is this from a potentially unshielded audio cable, the iGo charger, or just the proximity of the charger and audio ports?
Old 11-09-05, 09:59 AM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gstois
On the original center console thread, we discussed an adapter from Radio Shack that enables the armrest to be closed with the charger plugged in.

Well, in addition to the adapter, I bought an iGo universal charger that is low profile and actually allows the armrest to close with it plugged directly into the socket. It appears as if the oversized phone chargers are the problem, not the car. Well, maybe:

Now that I have things working, I plugged my Ipod into the charger and turned on the radio and noticed considerable engine noise coming from the speakers. What do you think, is this from a potentially unshielded audio cable, the iGo charger, or just the proximity of the charger and audio ports?

I think it has to do with interference from the charger. I heard a buzzing sound when mine is plugged in as well. Which adapter did you get from Radio Shack and how much? Thanks.
Old 11-09-05, 10:03 AM
cooney
Rookie

When researching the Belkin Auto Kit (based on your mention of it here, so thanks!), I found this info on the iLounge site's review of the Auto Kit:
I have spoken with many Auto Kit owners and some suffer from what is called Ground Loop Interference. This basically causes a ‘hum’ in the audio system and as this is very hard to troubleshoot the Auto Kit gets branded as the problematic component. To solve this problem a
GLI Isolator needs to be purchased, and they range from $15.00 - 50.00, the cheapest available from RadioShack.
On the other hand, what you describe may be radio frequency interference generated by the iGo charger, which could be being picked up by the adjacent Auto Kit.

If removing the iGo charger causes the noise to go away, it's the culprit. Possible this is a defective unit, so you might try exchanging it. Otherwise if your previous cell phone charger didn't cause this problem, use it.

Alternatively, if running the Auto Kit without the iGo charger connected still gives you noise, then check out the ground loop interference isolators referred to in the iLounge article.

Hope this helps. As I'm about to do something very similar, I'd appreciate it if you'd post what you discover.

cooney

Last edited by cooney; 11-09-05 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 11:36 AM
gstois
Rookie

See this thread for info on possible solutions and the adapter from Radio Shack.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185773
Old 11-09-05, 12:24 PM
cooney
Rookie

Whoops. I see that it was izzy and not you who had the Belkin Auto Kit. Sorry.

The iGo charger is probably the problem.

Does the iGo converter cause static on your radio even when the iPod is not plugged into it? If yes, I'd look for a different power supply, as just the proximity of the audio and power connectors is allowing RFI -- you could test that by trying the iGo in the main cigarette lighter socket. (If you do replace the iGo, the Belkin Auto Kit has a second advantage -- it takes the iPod audio signal from the higher-quality fixed output on the dock connector.)

If there is only a problem when the iPod is plugged into the iGo, maybe a RFI attenuator on the cord from the iGo to the iPod would help. These are basically just magnets that clip around the cable -- Radio Shack has this one for $5.29.
Old 11-09-05, 10:18 PM
the lndr
Driver

Default charger

I got one from best buy for around 15 dollars named DIC and it makes the same noise but it fits under the armrest
Old 11-10-05, 06:54 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

It says in the manual that if you plug a single device into both the power port and the aux port, you may get a buzzing noise. They suggest you use your device's internal power source during playback.

BTW I have read almost the entire manual! Over 400 pages... Now I have to start on the nav system manual, which looks like 200+.

My two favorite things from the manual so far: a warning that "if you are not familiar with the location of the brake and accelerator pedals, you should not operate the vehicle," and a section on the proper procedure to follow when you are napping in your vehicle. haha!

Also this is kind of disturbing... It mentions the phrase "death or serious injury" on basically every page on the manual. Yikes!
Old 11-10-05, 07:03 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Who writes this stuff?

I am about half way throught the Nav Manual and even though the system functions the same as the Gen. 4 there are changes here and there. The graphics are crisp and almost 3D on the VGA monitor. Major improvement.

Rock
Old 11-10-05, 09:16 AM
gstois
Rookie

Default It's the iGo

It looks like the iGo is the problem. I plugged my phone into the charger (using a different power cord) and didn't have any noise while playing the Ipod. As soon as I connected the iGo to the Ipod the noise came back.

I ordered the Belkin kit this morning, so hopefully it will do the trick.
Old 11-10-05, 10:48 AM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gstois
It looks like the iGo is the problem. I plugged my phone into the charger (using a different power cord) and didn't have any noise while playing the Ipod. As soon as I connected the iGo to the Ipod the noise came back.

I ordered the Belkin kit this morning, so hopefully it will do the trick.
I got the Belkin kit last night and I hear the noise still. There is no noise when I have my phone plugged into the charger while the ipod is connected via only the aux input.
Old 11-10-05, 10:50 AM
gstois
Rookie

Originally Posted by archaic
I got the Belkin kit last night and I hear the noise still. There is no noise when I have my phone plugged into the charger while the ipod is connected via only the aux input.
Any others getting noise from the Belkin kit?
Old 11-10-05, 02:49 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a tiny bit of noise with the belkin auto kit...just boost up the amplifier on the auto kit if your having alot of noise.
Old 11-10-05, 03:39 PM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

I'm thinking about getting this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0SwaIKy...50&I=127SNI135

Think it'll work?
Old 11-10-05, 04:18 PM
gstois
Rookie

Originally Posted by archaic
I'm thinking about getting this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0SwaIKy...50&I=127SNI135

Think it'll work?
I'm not the one to ask, but would sure like to know.
Old 11-17-05, 10:34 AM
MD727
Rookie

I bought this from crutchfield and just installed it - it works great!!! No more "whining sound" while playing the ipod - I highly recommend!!!

Quick Reply: Center console update and Ipod noise