IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$795 for 3M clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 08:36 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $795 for 3M clear bra?

I'm going to pick up my new IS350 later this week. The dealer is trying to talk me into 3M protective film for the front and rear bumpers. I've read up on it and it seems like a good idea. Even though I'm only leasing, a few hundred dollars to keep the car's bumpers looking good is probably worth it. But, Lexus of Manhattan wants $795 for it! This includes front and rear bumpers only - not even the hood, rearview mirrors, etc. From what I've been able to find online, this is a pretty expensive price. Anyone have any advice? Is there a third party shop where I could get it done for a more reasonable price? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-01-05, 08:43 AM
LDYNRED
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
I'm going to pick up my new IS350 later this week. The dealer is trying to talk me into 3M protective film for the front and rear bumpers. I've read up on it and it seems like a good idea. Even though I'm only leasing, a few hundred dollars to keep the car's bumpers looking good is probably worth it. But, Lexus of Manhattan wants $795 for it! This includes front and rear bumpers only - not even the hood, rearview mirrors, etc. From what I've been able to find online, this is a pretty expensive price. Anyone have any advice? Is there a third party shop where I could get it done for a more reasonable price? Thanks for your help!
That's a bit pricey IMO. Dealers always charge more though. Since you're east coast I'm not sure about pricing. I'm on the west coast and having mine done for just a little more than that, and that's including mirrors and the very front part of the hood. Keep researching, I'm sure you can find a better deal.
Old 11-01-05, 08:44 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Hi I would also like more information (good price, etc) on the clear bra, especially a quality place to go to to get it put on in southern california. I have purchased an is 350 with black exterior, and I absolutely do not want any rocks dinging my car. Thanks in advanced.
Old 11-01-05, 08:52 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

you can buy it for 1/2 that and add install (about 100) if you do it with some independant installer
Old 11-01-05, 08:53 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

I'd really like to do this on the IS I just ordered in Matador Red, but here's my main concerns:

1. The plastic will show up and look cheap or strange
2. It will make detailing much harder, having to clean the wax/sealant around all the edges.

Anybody have thoughts on these issues?
Old 11-01-05, 08:57 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

also what about fading or peeling over time from the sun? Does that affect it?
Old 11-01-05, 09:14 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

If you are in SoCal, check out AeroShield, Francisco does a awesome job. A bunch of people here have gotten it done by him for a very reasonable price. He's a vendor here so make sure you ask for the Club Lexus discount. I think he just moved to Pomona? His work is flawless and he guarrantees against yellowing, cracking, etc. He also clear bras small aircraft, yes that's right! AIRPLANES. wow I've seen his work up close at his shop and I can vouch for him most definately.

Tell Francisco Elizabeth sent you (and Ryan and Henry and Ken, etc.....)

http://www.aeroshield.com/

Diablo:

Probably that is the Lexus clear bra they are offering, I would ask. Earlier this year Lexus started offerring a factory clear bra and it is installed in the service dept. Or perhaps they are vendoring it out to a local shop. Find out if you can. It can be had cheaper, but the challenge is finding a reputable installer. Those clear bras are hella hard to put on correctly.

*edit* Lexus clear bras are warrantied to 4 years, same as car. AeroShield warranties to 3 years? But I'm not sure so you should ask Francisco.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 11-01-05 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 09:17 AM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

A friend of mine had it on his black RX300 and after a few years, it was pretty noticeable since the edges had yellowed and the film had faded. For the price he paid through Lexus, it would have been cheaper to repaint the hood then replace the film!

Lex
Old 11-01-05, 09:27 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
If you are in SoCal, check out AeroShield, Francisco does a awesome job. A bunch of people here have gotten it done by him for a very reasonable price. He's a vendor here so make sure you ask for the Club Lexus discount. I think he just moved to Pomona? His work is flawless and he guarrantees against yellowing, cracking, etc. He also clear bras small aircraft, yes that's right! AIRPLANES. wow I've seen his work up close at his shop and I can vouch for him most definately.

Tell Francisco Elizabeth sent you (and Ryan and Henry, etc.....)

http://www.aeroshield.com/
Thanks for the info AsianGirl007. So in your opinion, you would definitely have it done?
Old 11-01-05, 09:27 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some info on clear bras - you can take it for what it's worth. I detail cars so this is just my experience with it.

First, as with any product much of the outcome depends on the instal and the product chosen. The 3M product has moderate durabilty, there are brands that have better durabilty but in turn are a little more expensive. The one I see used most often with the best results is "XPEL". More important than the product is the installer. If you can find a reputable installer that is gold - the good ones will warranty against yellowing/cracking/fading, etc. Typical prices I see are ~$600 installed for front bumper wrap, 5 inches up the hood, front fenders, mirrors, and headlights.

There are three concerns I can think of with a clear bra. The first is that if left for a long period of time bug guts can stain the bra. It is wise to wipe it off with a detailing spray every few days if you see a lot of bugs on it. The second is rail dust. If you live near a railway you might notice dust bonding to the paint on your car. This will happen quicker on the clear bra. This is pretty rare, but hey it's worth brining up. Third is detailing - the only thing you do differently when detailing near/on a clear bra is don't buff over the edge. If you run a rotary over the edge you can pull it up and get some product under it which will create a white line. Otherwise you detail it as normal (you can polish it, seal it, wax it, etc...). I treat them like paint and do the same process over the bra that I do on the paint. Removing them is easy, and the only time the paint will look different is if the paint not under the bra is severly marred, in which case you can polish it to look like the protected paint.

Do I think they're a good idea? Absolutely. My most lucrative service is rock chip repair. One rock chip touchup will cost you about $50 done right - if you want medium sized chips done you've just payed for the clear bra. Lighter colors that hide chips better can get away without one (silver, white), but anything darker than that should definitely consider it, imo.

Cheers.

Last edited by picus; 11-01-05 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 09:29 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

I'd also be concerned that if you decide to remove the film for some reason, there would be a noticable difference between the areas that had been covered and had not.

Thanks for the tip, AsianGirl!
Old 11-01-05, 09:31 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yes, if you are buying your car I would not hesitate. If you are leasing, then it depends what kind of person you are. Particular about your car? Yes. Don't care too much? Then no. But it does help out tremendously as I've seen a lot of cars that have been bra'd and cars that have not. There is a huge difference especially if your new car will be the daily driver. Heck, just driving in Los Angeles is hard on your car. lol
Old 11-01-05, 09:40 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Building on the previous points, one thing to keep in mind, though, is that the 3M film has a lifetime warranty. A few months ago a rock from hell hit my hood, and the film got torn. When it was peeled off, the paint looked good, and they replaced the film for free.

Some years ago, the film on my '02 TL got stained while the car was parked outside at the dealer. No idea what it was, though it looked like water spots. The spots wouldn't come off, so again they replaced everything at no charge.

Picus, I've used both Xpel and 3M, and interestingly, I've had better results with 3M. You're dead on with regards to the bugs and "polish line", very good points. I remember hearing about a 3rd manufacturer that's supposed to be much better than Xpel and 3M, but I could never get the name. Do you happen to remember the names of some other mfrs?

Regarding prices, just as a reference point, up here in MA there's a company called Autobahnd that does these installs. A typical kit is as picus described and retails for $595 for most cars/SUVs. They typically only sell to dealers, though once I got lucky. In any case, my understanding is that they charge dealers no more than $300, in fact, probably closer to $200 than $300.

The kit for the GX also retails for $595, and the dealer charged me $400 - no questions asked or haggling required. So, keep looking. Alternatively, you may throw a lower number back at your dealer and see if they bite. I don't see why they would lose a deal over this, so they'll probably comply. Good luck - I'm definitely a believer in the prodcut!

Last edited by caha14; 11-01-05 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 09:41 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I agree with picus on finding the right detailer otherwise the detail stuff gets stuck around the edges of the bra and looks funky. Also, getting a clear bra does NOT give an excuse for laziness. You still have to wash your car! lol Or else stuff sticks to the clear bra and it's hard to get off.
Should you remove the clear bra there will be a slight difference in paint because part of the paint has been protected and part has been exposed, but if that's a concern I would get some kind of paint protectant coating on there first, then after you remove the clear bra and get it properly detailed it shouldn't be too noticable.
Old 11-01-05, 09:51 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, maybe I will ask them if they can do a better price for the clear bra. If not, it's not a deal breaker - I'll just get the car as is, and maybe shop around for another place to get it. Either way it won't cost them the sale.

One thing that is sketchy though is that they told me $795 when I was at the dealership, and then a day or two later on the phone, they said they checked and it was $995. I told him I clearly remembered him saying $795 when I was in his office, so of course he said he'd "need to double-check", and came back to me with the $795 price. So they are clearly trying to turn a big profit on this option. Annoying!

Quick Reply: $795 for 3M clear bra?