IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Difference between VN package and NAV + ML?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 10:31 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skingsland
So, is it even possible to order Nav and ML separately, and not pay the extra $500 for the VN package? Or is that not allowed? Because if that's an option, then I need to figure out if it's worth an extra $500 to be able to watch DVDs (when the car is parked) and listen to DVD Audio and DTS (whatever that is).

Steve
Oh, I can give you the answer to that questions It's simple, it is not worth $500 to be able to watch DVDs in the car.
Old 11-02-05, 11:27 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VN is different from NV+ML....

When coding a Special Order it is important to ask for what you want in this case. The VN includes the DVD player and the combination NV+ML does not. It's$500 for the DVD capability.

Rock
Old 11-03-05, 08:39 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it is not worth $500 dollars to watch dvds in your car (unless, of course, you live in it )
If you really need to pass time in traffic or waterver, just watch a movie on your laptop instead.

BTW: The stock system rocks and you can play mp3 discs!

Last edited by lexusboi; 11-03-05 at 09:28 AM. Reason: No Dvd
Old 11-20-05, 12:00 PM
skingsland
Driver

Question Is ML + NV even an option?

So, is it even possible to order Nav and ML separately, and not pay the extra $500 for the VN package? Or is that not allowed? Because if that's an option, then I need to figure out if it's worth an extra $500 to be able to watch DVDs (when the car is parked) and listen to DVD Audio and DTS (whatever that is).

Steve
I'm being told by a local dealer that you just simply CAN NOT order ML + NV without getting the NV package, period. He's checked with his local Lexus rep, and he's checked the sheet that you acutally fill out when you place the special order -- it says that ML and NV are conflicting and you have to get VN. I'd really appreciate some confirmation either way...

=> Has anyone already placed a special order for an IS 250/350 with Mark Levinson AND Nav WITHOUT ordering the VN package (that includes the ability to play DVDs, DVD Audio, DTS, etc.)?

=> Any other dealers, or folks in the know care to contribute?

Reason I ask is, I'm about to special order a 350 with both Nav and ML any day now , and I want to save $500 if possible, because I doubt I'm going to be watching DVDs parked in my car, or listening to DVD audio while I'm driving. It's just not gonna happen more than once in a blue moon, so why pay an extra $500 (plus 5% tax, plus interest since I'm financing) for it?
Old 11-20-05, 01:36 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

If you're really pushed to spend the $500, I'd suggest getting a cheaper car. I'm surprised at how many people aggravate themselves over the ML+NV/VN issue. In the big pic you're talking < 1.25% of the vehicles total cost.
Old 11-20-05, 03:26 PM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
If you're really pushed to spend the $500, I'd suggest getting a cheaper car. I'm surprised at how many people aggravate themselves over the ML+NV/VN issue. In the big pic you're talking < 1.25% of the vehicles total cost.
Hey man, it's not that I don't have the money - but why spend it on something you're not going to use?

And as for it being a small percentage of the car's cost, you're completely right. But that's a salesman's perspective; the consumer/customer's perspective is: would you go out and drop $500 on an appliance or gadget that you know you're not going to use?

I wouldn't let this detract me from getting the car or the options I want, but I figure as long as I'm paying the 4 month penalty of special ordering it, I might as well get exactly what I want, and nothing more!!
Old 11-20-05, 04:55 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Hey man, it's not that I don't have the money - but why spend it on something you're not going to use?

And as for it being a small percentage of the car's cost, you're completely right. But that's a salesman's perspective; the consumer/customer's perspective is: would you go out and drop $500 on an appliance or gadget that you know you're not going to use?

I wouldn't let this detract me from getting the car or the options I want, but I figure as long as I'm paying the 4 month penalty of special ordering it, I might as well get exactly what I want, and nothing more!!
OK so if the $500 doesn't enter into it. I look at it the opposite way. I'd say if you're waiting 3-4 months, who knows if you still WON'T want it at that time. You'd might be pissed that you didn't have it.

Also, dou don't think it's cool to display a DVD movie, even if it's only to show the capability your freinds? And you never use it again.
Old 11-20-05, 04:59 PM
chuck youn
Driver School Candidate

Default IS DVD/ML Order

I tried to order Nav /ML pkg. in Minnesosta and was told I couldn't. Bottom line, I want NAV, ML and DVD capabiltity. How in the heck do I order this ? Why is Lexus being so **** in allowing me to spend a lot of my money ?

HELP anyone.............
Old 11-20-05, 05:33 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by chuck youn
I tried to order Nav /ML pkg. in Minnesosta and was told I couldn't. Bottom line, I want NAV, ML and DVD capabiltity. How in the heck do I order this ? Why is Lexus being so **** in allowing me to spend a lot of my money ?

HELP anyone.............
It's the dealer just trying to sell you one they have ready access to. My advice, and what Lexus corp told me, is to go to another dealer. I know it sucks, but they should be able to order you one with VN.
Old 11-21-05, 08:08 AM
skingsland
Driver

Talking OK OK, *maybe*

OK so if the $500 doesn't enter into it. I look at it the opposite way. I'd say if you're waiting 3-4 months, who knows if you still WON'T want it at that time. You'd might be pissed that you didn't have it.

Also, dou don't think it's cool to display a DVD movie, even if it's only to show the capability your freinds? And you never use it again.
I don't think I'll use it in 3-4 months, either. But yeah, add that to the list of one more cool thing on my new car to impress my friends with... that's worth some $$.

Seriously though, the lexietech guy over on My.IS said there's a (presumably easy, no wire-cutting) way to enable watching movies while the car's moving. And he was money with the VDIM-disabling trick (he was the original one to post it), so I'm confident that he knows what he's talking about, and we'll probably find out before I even get my car! I'm not stupid though -- only one who'll watch it will be the passenger. (could you just imagine what the accident report would look like, when the police find an IS 350 wrapped around a overpass column with VDIM disabled, **** still playing on the Nav, and an inflatable woman in the passenger seat? ahahahahah)
Old 11-21-05, 08:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't think I'll use it in 3-4 months, either. But yeah, add that to the list of one more cool thing on my new car to impress my friends with... that's worth some $$.

Seriously though, the lexietech guy over on My.IS said there's a (presumably easy, no wire-cutting) way to enable watching movies while the car's moving. And he was money with the VDIM-disabling trick (he was the original one to post it), so I'm confident that he knows what he's talking about, and we'll probably find out before I even get my car! I'm not stupid though -- only one who'll watch it will be the passenger. (could you just imagine what the accident report would look like, when the police find an IS 350 wrapped around a overpass column with VDIM disabled, **** still playing on the Nav, and an inflatable woman in the passenger seat? ahahahahah)
other than pretty stupid idea of watching movies while driving (illegal in many states now), it is also useful for using mp3's on dvd... whats better than 9 GB worth of MP3's? :-)
Old 11-21-05, 08:42 AM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
whats better than 9 GB worth of MP3's? :-)
20 GB worth of MP3s, on my iPod.
Old 11-21-05, 09:25 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

20 GB worth of MP3s, on my iPod.
Actually that's ~9GB of MP3's per DVD (DL), so ~54GB across 6 DVDs.
Old 11-21-05, 09:42 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Actually that's ~9GB of MP3's per DVD (DL), so ~54GB across 6 DVDs.
plus you don't have to mess with the aux plug/cigarette lighter plug with complaints of ground loop noise; AND you get player control on the steering wheel/console instead of fiddling with the iPod. Even if you use cheaper single-layered dvd, that's still 27 GB of mp3, more than adequate to hold enough songs to last through the life time of the car.
Old 11-21-05, 09:51 AM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
plus you don't have to mess with the aux plug/cigarette lighter plug with complaints of ground loop noise; AND you get player control on the steering wheel/console instead of fiddling with the iPod. Even if you use cheaper single-layered dvd, that's still 27 GB of mp3, more than adequate to hold enough songs to last through the life time of the car.
True, and you could just leave the DVDs in the car, vs. having to remember to bring your iPod. BUT, how easy is it to sync new songs onto one of those DVDs? It's dead simple with an ipod. So if you're not getting new MP3s very often, then I can see that the DVDs would be the way to go.

And there have been solutions posted for the ground loop noise issue. Though you're right, it is a pain (and dangerous!) to mess with the iPod to change songs while driving. What would be ideal would be an iPod adapter for the Nav... I've read that other cars have these, as an aftermarket accessory.

Quick Reply: Difference between VN package and NAV + ML?