IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Dissapointment rear leg room

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 08:49 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking about a new IS350...

As I recall, I could only get my feet under the seat by really wedging them under there... Not much clearance at all.
Old 11-01-05, 08:56 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Bottom Line: Yes, the backseat room is limited (reading the leg room room specs will tell you that), but if it is a primary concern for you then just seek an alternative car in the same market. That being said, I have an is 350 and you don't want to have 3 people sitting in the back seat, because the back armrest bulges out in the back.

Last edited by lexusboi; 11-01-05 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 08:59 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

The IS350 definitely has a better backseat than the G35 coupe. I was considering the latter until I sat in it in the dealership - that seat is for little kids, pets, and groceries only. Too bad since the G35 coupe looks killer... The sedan on the other hand... Well, I just think that style works better in a coupe.

I also sat in a GS300, and I think that backseat is actually worse, because of headroom - the aggressively sloped rear roofline makes it really hard to get comfortable back there. I am 5'11" and when I sat back against the seat, my head was touching the ceiling. The IS may be more cramped for legroom, but I think its headroom is better... Just my impression.
Old 11-01-05, 09:01 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well....it should be no surprise, right?

There should be a US Standard.....minimum amount of leg room for sedans....LOL!!!

Yah...looks as if there is feet room under the seat....problem is getting ur feet in there without dislocating ur leg from ur pelvis.

Last edited by PHML; 11-01-05 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 09:11 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

I too attended a launch party in my city and had the chance to sit in one. I am about 6'1 and sat in the back while a guy who is about 5'10 sat in the front seat. Considering the kind of model I am, it was still quite comfortable.
Old 11-01-05, 09:33 AM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

amazing how many people see things differently.

I am 5-10 and this was one of the first things I checked out.

I adjusted the front seat (I always put the seat to the floor) to my driving position and then tried the back seat. Unlike others, I found the that my knees were touching the back of the front seat and my feet could not fit underneath the front seat and I was very crampted.

I did the same thing in an E90 sport, knees had a lot more room, not touching, also no room under the seat cushion for my feet.

Then I tried the S4, leg room (knee) was between the E90 and IS350, but the bottom of the seat was cut out perfectly that my feet fit underneath to give that much more room. Kudos to Audi as this allowed the S4 to feel the most comfortable of the 3, even though the leg room was inbetween the two.

For those who asked, the E90 has the most knee room and is rated at 34" of leg room vs 30" for the IS350 (btw the old E39 5 series was also rated at 34", so then new E90 has the same as that). The TL has the most leg room with 36" and it feels that way too.

Also, everyone has different proportions for the same Height, IE for a given height, your legs can be longer or shorter than others (ie inseam) and your trunk can be longer or shorter than others of the same height, therefore giving differnt comfort levels in the same car.

For example, short legs, long trunk gives better leg room, less head room
long legs, short trunk gives less leg room, better head room.

Try it for your self to decide, and make sure you adjust the front seat to your liking, not your budy as everyone is differnt.

However, the E90 definately has the advantage over the IS350 (by 4") on paper and in my test.
Old 11-01-05, 10:30 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

I'm never going to be in the backseat so I'm not worried about it, my daughter's only 1 month old so she's not going to be complaining any time soon, and at 5'9" I'm one of the tallest members of my family. My sister said the backseat was the most comfortable she'd ever been in, but she's only 5'2"
Old 11-01-05, 10:33 AM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
I'm never going to be in the backseat so I'm not worried about it, my daughter's only 1 month old so she's not going to be complaining any time soon, and at 5'9" I'm one of the tallest members of my family. My sister said the backseat was the most comfortable she'd ever been in, but she's only 5'2"
Toyota_F1, make sure you try that rear facing car seat back there, they take up more room than a 6 footer would, in the rear facing position, the right front seat will be way up. Even on cars we had with tons of leg room, the right seat had to be moved up, just how far would be interesting to see, and if the right front will still be usable at that point (or will it be too close to the front airbag?)
Old 11-01-05, 11:04 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Default car seat

I thought about that... that's why we have the Matrix and the RAV, the IS is more a replacement for my Supra (god rest it's soul) than a main family car. If the carseat truly doesn't fit in there we'll just take the matrix instead until we can change to the front facing seat. Might disappoint the wife though since I promised her it would fit since I took this over a new Avalon.
Old 11-01-05, 11:34 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350spd
However, the E90 definately has the advantage over the IS350 (by 4") on paper and in my test.
Yeah from what I hear the E90 is a bit better for rear passanger room and I would have replaced my E46 with a new E90 EXCEPT I hate the sparce flat non sport look to the interior, the exterior I could live with but that interior is what has me running away from that model. A shame really that they messed it up so much from the E46 driver cockpit. The E90 has no sexy curves inside, all flat and boring.
Old 11-01-05, 12:19 PM
OUMalibu
Rookie

Xanadu, I agree 100% about the E90 interior.

I actually liked the E46 even though it was typically German plain and somewhat boring. Far better than the current model, IMO.

Exterior styling is important but after all, you and your passangers spend much more time looking and interacting with the inside... And it's the main reason I keep buying from Lexus, because nobody does interiors better.
Old 11-01-05, 01:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
The G35 Coupe takes the cake for the worst back seat. I'm 5'10 (not very big framed, either) and an unexpected hard bump or pothole would put my head through the back windshield

Like the G35 Coupe though, the car wasn't really designed to be a functional family vehicle. The IS350 has the 2 rear doors and the back seat most likely for insurance purposes. No other car in its class really has a lot of space back there either.
hahhaa, well, there is a reason why it's a *coupe* right?

if you talk about bad, wanna give my sc430 a try? it's a miracle if you can even put your legs in
Old 11-01-05, 05:52 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
new pic of rear leg room, looks to me like there is room for your feet under the seat. Am I wrong?

You are dead wrong....no room in the back to put your feet in. Very tight space. You will notice the next time you go test drive the car the back seat bottom is dirty (shoe scuff marks). That's because people have a hard time getting inside the back seat. You gotta move the front seat up, which means the front passenger has to suffer.
Old 11-01-05, 06:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

The front seats are pushed way back as far as they can be. It is a new thing in both Toyotas (my 05 XRS, but not on my previous 2004) and Lexus that the front seats can be pushed ridiculously back. I saw exactly the same splace in the demo IS. With seats pushed that back, there was enough leg room at the front foot well to stretch my legs almost straight out (33" inseam). I doubt anyone less than 6' 6" would need that much leg room at the front. As soon as I pulled the seats forward, there was more than enough leg room for even a six footer sitting beside me.

Originally Posted by RXGOLD
You are dead wrong....no room in the back to put your feet in. Very tight space. You will notice the next time you go test drive the car the back seat bottom is dirty (shoe scuff marks). That's because people have a hard time getting inside the back seat. You gotta move the front seat up, which means the front passenger has to suffer.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-01-05 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-01-05, 06:26 PM
LexManDC
Driver School Candidate

Wink I dunno guys

The new IS has the second most leg room for front passengers of any Lex in the line (excluding SUV's). It is also much more comfortable then the IS300. Then again am only 5'4

Quick Reply: IS 350 Dissapointment rear leg room