IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 VSC/TRC woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 11:50 AM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 VSC/TRC woes

So here I am, searching for my next car and I come across a car that looks to be a great fit for what i'm looking for, the IS350. I almost hopped on the phone with my nearest Lexus dealer, until I found out from the Edmunds review that VSC and TRC cannot be disabled and there are also other tech nannies (VDIM?) that force you to behave.

Does anyone know of a way these can be disabled at the dealer or any other way for that matter? I'd prefer to be able to enable/disable these things as needed myself, but if not, just disable it all together some how? This is definitely costing them my business. I just cant shell out $42k+ for a car that and not be able to drive it aggressively once i've given it a good break-in. Yes, that includes power-slides, spin-outs, donuts (on slick surfaces etc.), whatever I feel like doing. I'm a good driver and once I get the feel for a car I can handle aggressive driving and can correct my own driving mishaps.

I just cannot find a car that fits me, there always has to be something wrong with it.
Old 10-31-05, 12:02 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless you're going to take this car to the track, then these electronic nannies might save your butt. They aren't going to intrude on your normal everyday driving, or even pushing it.
Old 10-31-05, 12:08 PM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

This is the argument I've heard elsewhere, and yes, when I drive to work in the city I won't need to worry.

Now, what if I take it to the track? What if I want to go on a spirited drive in the country or in the hills where there is very little traffic? I do exactly that a number of times during the year. I also have closed areas where I can do these things such as parking lots and closed back-roads etc.

Am I the only one that thinks it should be optional/configurable? I hear it can be disabled on the Is250? Is that true? That would just boggle my mind.
Old 10-31-05, 12:24 PM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

http://www.lexus-eshowroom.com/eshow...wmv&type=video

I just watched this video on VDIM, meant to glorify it. It made me feel like I'm buying a car out of the movie demolition man, you know, that movie that takes place in an over-safe technological future where everyone is so safe nobody has any fun? That is what i'm feeling like....
Old 10-31-05, 12:44 PM
jyg es3
Driver

Default this a major draw back

I drove 350 is w/o dealer this saturday. VDIM is a pain, You shut it off get down on car, and it turns on again!!!!. More importanly is is intrusive on driving style. On my BMW is rarelly cuts in, unless the road is wet, or snowy & slippery.
Old 10-31-05, 12:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jyg es3
I drove 350 is w/o dealer this saturday. VDIM is a pain, You shut it off get down on car, and it turns on again!!!!. More importanly is is intrusive on driving style. On my BMW is rarelly cuts in, unless the road is wet, or snowy & slippery.
Just to restate, VDIM is not traction control. It's a system that controls TRAC, ABS, PCS, VSC and etc together when needed. You can't turn VDIM off FYI. You have your terms a bit confused.
Old 10-31-05, 12:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by -JD
http://www.lexus-eshowroom.com/eshow...wmv&type=video

I just watched this video on VDIM, meant to glorify it. It made me feel like I'm buying a car out of the movie demolition man, you know, that movie that takes place in an over-safe technological future where everyone is so safe nobody has any fun? That is what i'm feeling like....
Driving the car in person to see how it's like instead of judging it by what you're reading and watching on the internet are two different dynamics. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Old 10-31-05, 01:44 PM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

Flipside, I understand your point, but i'm an engineer at heart and just KNOW based off the data at hand that these safety systems will hamper my driving experience. I'm not trying to detract from current is350 owners experiences by bringing this to light, i'm bringing this up to see how many would like to see it as an option or more controllable so that eventually Lexus hears us.

This is the only thing stopping me from buying this car. ,, who knows i may get it anyway, but i am in much less of a hurry.... ie) i'm still shopping around/waiting.
Old 10-31-05, 02:05 PM
meta1
Driver School Candidate

I was able to drive the car in a very aggressive manner and didn't have any intrusion at all. In fact, im not sure I would want to be doing power slides and donuts in this car. Yes, we would all like to have the vdim deactivated, but it's not as bad as some of the critics make it out to be. most of the car mags probably drove the IS350 up to the edge, beyond what most aggressive drivers buying a lux car will do anyway. Sounds like a used first generation IS300 or 350z might better suit you.
Old 10-31-05, 02:13 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

I am sure someone will figure out how to disable VDIM eventually.

Part of the racing arm of Lexus - TeamLexus's mandate is drifting competitions and as far as I know they are already prepping a 2nd gen IS for next year's season. I am sure they will figure out a way to disable VDIM.
Old 10-31-05, 02:21 PM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

Hameed, man I hope so! Have they done that in the past with other cars?

How would I be able to do it even if they were able to do it? Perhaps with some VAG tool and some different programming?

meta: the way people define "aggressive" is subjective, I do drive my cars to the "edge" , not often, but i do and would like to be able to without the computer getting in the way, I spend my days controlling computers I don't want them controlling me.
Old 10-31-05, 02:26 PM
meta1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by -JD
Hameed, man I hope so! Have they done that in the past with other cars?

How would I be able to do it even if they were able to do it? Perhaps with some VAG tool and some different programming?

meta: the way people define "aggressive" is subjective, I do drive my cars to the "edge" , not often, but i do and would like to be able to without the computer getting in the way, I spend my days controlling computers I don't want them controlling me.
That sounds very fair
Old 10-31-05, 02:36 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

No, you aren't the only one. If you read other threads here or on is300.net, there are endless debates on how VDIM should have an off switch. I'm an engineer too, and this among other things are holding me back from giving Lexus my business. So I guess we have a very similar point of view. Sure I'm not going to turn off VDIM every day, but I should be able to when I want to, since it is MY car.

For what its worth, the IS's VDIM system does have a very lenient programming when it comes to aggressive driving.
Old 10-31-05, 02:46 PM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

Right on JOE, I'd buy it now if I knew that in X number of months thered be a solution, but what if it is years? So I guess i'll just lurk for awhile.
Old 11-01-05, 02:27 PM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

http://macleans.auto123.com/en/info/...tid=51421&pg=1

whoa, wait a minute, what IS THIS? I thought this stuff wasnt possible with TRC/VSC ???? Did they disable it for the press stunts or something?

Anyone done this with THEIR IS YET?

Quick Reply: IS350 VSC/TRC woes