Smart Key question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 09:09 AM
erock901
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Key question

Hi All,

I understand that when you walk up to the new IS with the Smart Key in your pocket, the doors unlock and the seats/mirrors move to the memory position associated with that particular Smart Key.

My questions is, if both my wife and I walk up to the car (1 Smart Key in my pocket and 1 in my wife's purse), how will the car know which memory position to set?

BTW, one of the reasons we're choosing the IS over the 330i/G35c is because of this Smart Key. I mean, why have a key-less ignition if you still have to put the "key" in the dash?? I know this isn't a big deal to a lot of people but, to me, it's the little things that count.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 10-26-05, 09:41 AM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by erock901
Hi All,

I understand that when you walk up to the new IS with the Smart Key in your pocket, the doors unlock and the seats/mirrors move to the memory position associated with that particular Smart Key.

My questions is, if both my wife and I walk up to the car (1 Smart Key in my pocket and 1 in my wife's purse), how will the car know which memory position to set?

BTW, one of the reasons we're choosing the IS over the 330i/G35c is because of this Smart Key. I mean, why have a key-less ignition if you still have to put the "key" in the dash?? I know this isn't a big deal to a lot of people but, to me, it's the little things that count.

I don't know the answer to your question, however I wouldn't pick a car just because you have to put a smart key into the dash in the 330. That is like saying I'm going to pick a car just because one has a cooler cup holder. If you pick the IS that is fine, if you pick the BMW that is fine too, but don't let the smart key sway your opinion. In addition, I think that BMW has a smart key option for $500 (I could be wrong about that).
Old 10-26-05, 09:44 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Hi All,

Hi and welcome to Club Lexus! The smart key function is awesome! It depends upon who is on the driver side door, you or your wife, that is the setting the key will recognize. Assuming you are on the driver side of car and your wife is on passenger side of car, it will recognize the person on the driver side. If you are both standing by driver door, it's whomever opens the door.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 10-26-05 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-26-05, 10:01 AM
erock901
Rookie

Originally Posted by VitB6
I don't know the answer to your question, however I wouldn't pick a car just because you have to put a smart key into the dash in the 330. That is like saying I'm going to pick a car just because one has a cooler cup holder. If you pick the IS that is fine, if you pick the BMW that is fine too, but don't let the smart key sway your opinion. In addition, I think that BMW has a smart key option for $500 (I could be wrong about that).
I had a feeling someone was going to misunderstand what I was trying to say in my post...Sorry about that, I'll try to make my statements clearer in the future. I wasn't saying that I picked the IS over the 330/G35 just because of the smart key. I was saying that the IS smart key was one of the "little things" that made me decide on the IS. Obviously, my opinion on how the car performed mechanically and aesthetically were the main reasons I picked the IS.

In any case, hopefully someone who has an IS already can answer my original question...Thanks again.
Old 10-26-05, 12:26 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In any case, hopefully someone who has an IS already can answer my original question...Thanks again.
She just did answer it.

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Hi and welcome to Club Lexus! The smart key function is awesome! It depends upon who is on the driver side door, you or your wife, that is the setting the key will recognize. Assuming you are on the driver side of car and your wife is on passenger side of car, it will recognize the person on the driver side. If you are both standing by driver door, it's whomever opens the door.
Old 10-26-05, 01:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
How does the system know who opened the door? You mean whoever is CLOSEST to the driver side door when the button on the handle is pressed.
Old 10-26-05, 02:23 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by TimboIS
How does the system know who opened the door? You mean whoever is CLOSEST to the driver side door when the button on the handle is pressed.
No, the button on the door is to lock it. You don't need to press anything, just walk up and pull the handle.
Old 10-26-05, 02:27 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

so if you were getting into the car and say a thief was about to get in through the passenger side, if you're walking up and trying to get in and drive away from the thief or the attacker, he'd be able to just waltz on up and open the door too?
Old 10-26-05, 02:31 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by knihc2008
so if you were getting into the car and say a thief was about to get in through the passenger side, if you're walking up and trying to get in and drive away from the thief or the attacker, he'd be able to just waltz on up and open the door too?
No, if the killer is on the passenger side, door won't open for him. Also, the C-Best options allow you to decide and customize how many doors open for your safety and convenience.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 10-26-05 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 02:38 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

no, just like using the regular key fob, only the driver's door is opened, unless you had it programmed to open all doors simultaneously.
Old 10-26-05, 02:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

huh? what happens when you unlock the door with remote and thief is hiding at passanger door? Smart Entry if anything is even smarter than normal remote key. It recognizes on what side of the door you are and it wont let anyone else open some other door before you...
Old 10-26-05, 04:43 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

so when you walk up with the key and open your door, all the other doors stay locked until you get inside the car and push the unlock button for the rest of the doors?
Old 10-26-05, 05:02 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 2006 GS300 AWD and when I walk up to the car, if I open the driver side door, the rest of the doors remain locked until I unlock them. However, when I walk up to the car and open up any other door, all the doors unlock automatically.
Old 10-26-05, 07:32 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

so when you walk up with the key and open your door, all the other doors stay locked until you get inside the car and push the unlock button for the rest of the doors?
Yes!

Lex
Old 10-26-05, 09:46 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

off topic, but just wondering what is this key for???

i thought the IS have no key hole?

Quick Reply: Smart Key question