IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Turn off the daytime running light

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 01:32 AM
terenshi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn off the daytime running light

Is there anyone know how to turn off the daytime running light because it looks really stupid while driving in the daytime.
Old 10-23-05, 07:02 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first got my RX330 I hated th DRL but couldn't figure out how to deactivate it(Volvo gives you a switch inside the car to turn it on/off). After having the car for a year, however, I no longer mind its presence and actually think it's a good idea for added safety, especially in cloudy/semi-dark weather. I suppose it's a nusance if you want to go in stealth mode and speed...
Old 10-23-05, 08:25 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The fact that you notice the DTRL's....

proves that they are effective at doing their job: To make sure oncoming traffic is aware of your car. A study proved that your chances of a head-on collision are reduced by 80% if you have either Day time running lights or headlights switched on in the daytime.

Lexus allows you to decide for yourself in the IS250/350. It is part of your Lexus Personalized Settings option list. Go to your dealer and they will hook up the scan tool and reprogram it for you if want to take your chances...

Rock
Old 10-23-05, 09:59 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

For any car, at first I thought daytime running lights would detract from the car's look. And a certain angles, it does kinda make the 350 look a little strange. But over time, I have become accustomed to it and realize that the safety aspect is most important. Look at any car on the road with daytime running lights and you will eventually realize that they're not all that bad. It just takes some time to get use to...just like the rear end.
Old 10-23-05, 11:13 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
proves that they are effective at doing their job: To make sure oncoming traffic is aware of your car. A study proved that your chances of a head-on collision are reduced by 80% if you have either Day time running lights or headlights switched on in the daytime.

Lexus allows you to decide for yourself in the IS250/350. It is part of your Lexus Personalized Settings option list. Go to your dealer and they will hook up the scan tool and reprogram it for you if want to take your chances...

Rock
hmmm so this personalized setting should apply towards the new GS as well.
Old 10-23-05, 11:51 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by terenshi
Is there anyone know how to turn off the daytime running light because it looks really stupid while driving in the daytime.
Yes, looks ARE more important than safety.

Last edited by TimboIS; 10-23-05 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-23-05, 02:14 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Rock
Do you have a link to that study? If its old...
The only reason it worked in the past is because it was new, and passers by would notice a car with DRL... and wonder why they would have the car would have lights on during the day.

Now that DRL is more prevalent, its lost much of its advantage. People no longer notice DRLs because its no longer strange.

There should be a way to turn it off for people who dont want it.
Old 10-23-05, 02:32 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
The only reason it worked in the past is because it was new, and passers by would notice a car with DRL... and wonder why they would have the car would have lights on during the day.
And I suppose you have a newer study that supports this "fact"?
Old 10-23-05, 08:05 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

do you notice cars with DRL anymore? Many people dont.

Yes, there are many links to studies that are for and against DRLs. MOST that are for DRLs, are generally older and cite info from 1993-2001, in cities with Fog and such.

Now that DRLs are more prevalent their usefulness is diminished. Its similar to Interest only loans... yeah that was a buying advantage, until everyone had it. Now that everyone has it... its no longer an advantage.
Old 10-23-05, 09:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

There are no credible studies out their against daytime running lights. Show me one.

There's only twisted advocate/special interest groups who distort the facts to try to prove for god know what reason why daytime running lights should be done away with. They speak about costs, how it's a plot to get america to use more gas, and accident stats that rise/fall with use, motorcycle stats that don't change, or cars driving around in the arctic or foreign countries near the north pole crashing into each other still, and other similar nonsense. You believe that? There are no medical stats on people eyes becoming adjusted to the light affecting their behavior.....

Nobody can tell me that a vehicle with headlights OFF is safer than a vehicle with headlights ON...any time of the day.

Just to prove you wrong, I DO notice cars that are coming at me with headlights on. To say that I'm now use to it and don't notice it anymore is to say that traffic red lights are ineffective because people are so use to red at this point, they don't notice red lights that blend into the a crowded city streets and buildings....maybe red lights should be changed to blue or purple.

Show me the newer studies btw, I'm curious who you think is credible.
Old 10-24-05, 06:03 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

SO you notice DRLs? And you also notice cars without DRLs coming at you?

You show me a recent study in the US, show me an 80% effectiveness. If you cant see a car coming straight on at you in broad daylight, whats stopping you from running into a house or a tree in the middle of the day.

Daytime running lights are not a bad idea, but it shouldnt be a mandate. They work well in low lights and fog. But in both cases, Headlights would work better. And in both cases, most people do use headlights.

In broad daylight. DRLs will not help.

Next they should mandate that cars honk their horns every 30 seconds to ensure that other drivers know your there. That would be much more effective than DRLs.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 10-24-05 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 06:13 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Do you have a link to that study? If its old...

Now that DRL is more prevalent, its lost much of its advantage. People no longer notice DRLs because its no longer strange.

There should be a way to turn it off for people who dont want it.
This makes no sense to me. It's like saying tht the 3rd brake light, or any brake light for that matter, doesn't work because every car has it. DRL works because the oncoming traffic senses the light and stays out of your way, and vice versa.
Speaking of headlight, if every woman on the street goes topless, would I still notice their txts? Hell ya!

Last edited by jlin101; 10-24-05 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 06:37 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I am a proponent of day-time running lights. Putting scientific studies aside, as far as I am concerned, anything that can assist in helping a vehicle to be seen at any time of day or night by pedestrains and other vehicles is a good thing. As a former trial attorney I have heard countless testimony beginning with the words "I looked, but I didn't see any car." In one such case I was sitting in the courtroom and observing a trial involving a motorist who had turned into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. This was several years ago. The motorist tried explaining to the judge that they looked, didn't see the motorcycle, and that the motorcycle had no lights on as it was daytime. The judge allowed the motorcyclist to present expert testimony that all factory-manufactured motorcycles (as their's was) had daytime running lights, so it should have been impossible for the motorist to not have seen the vehicle as they had claimed. This all occurred in the mid-`80s, and I remember thinking that it was a smart thing to drive in the daytime with some type of lighting because it was thus easier to be noticed. To illustrate, if you're ever driving at low-light or dusk (or light mist or fog) conditions try this test - see how easy and how soon you can notice cars driving towards you with/without lights. Once you try this test, you will know what I'm describing.
Old 10-24-05, 08:08 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
...To say that I'm now use to it and don't notice it anymore is to say that traffic red lights are ineffective because people are so use to red at this point, they don't notice red lights that blend into the a crowded city streets and buildings....
LOL... good one
Old 10-24-05, 09:35 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Rock
Why is it that whenever this subject comes up people won't just say "Thank you" to the answer above and move on. It's almost as bad as "oil" threads.

Biker, who knows someone's gonna get irked at this thread.

Quick Reply: Turn off the daytime running light