My Initial IS350 Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 04:59 PM
Ratman009
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Initial IS350 Test Drive Impressions

Just what everyone wants to see, another "amateur road test."

My dealership only had a 350 to drive (what I wanted anyway) as their 250 was damaged during delivery, so I can just give my impressions of the 350.

The car was a black onyx 350 with Premium Luxury Plus, Park Assist, and Navigation.
First off, the car really is gorgeous. I originally saw the car at the NY auto show in Tungsten, but the car really looked great in the black. As good looking as it is, the IS is definitely more "feminine" in nature than the E90 3 series. More organic, more "sexy" as opposed to more mean looking with sharp creases. Frankly, I like the looks of the new IS and the new 3 series equally, they are just different.

On to the interior. Certainly nice materials, fit and finish, etc. However, I've got a lot of complaints with the new IS, so let's start with me getting into the driver's seat. The seat is pretty comfortable. It could use a little more thigh support in the seat bottom, as in the seat bottom is not quite long enough for taller drivers. Also, even after playing with the seats quite a bit, I just couldn't get into an ultra comfortable position in the car. Don't get me wrong, I was comfortable, but not that perfect little feeling of snugness that a good sport seat should have. The seats included in the 330 sport package are certainly better (at least for me). I'm just shy of 6'2" and headroom was a BIG issue. If I closed the sunroof shade, and tilted my head up, my head would brush against the headliner/sunroof cover, and this was with the seat all the way down to the floor. I'm not a long torso person either. So, anyone over 6'1" or so will probably notice this as well. Leg room was fine. I didn't even need to push the seat all the way back. However, the front seat area felted very cramped. To be frank, the dashboard on this car is HUGE. A real waste of space. Lexus basically has the dash board intruding into the cabin of the car way too much. Also, the dash is MUCH too high. In the proper driving position, I could not see ANY of the hood. Granted, the car is not huge, so getting a feel for the proper length of the car is not a problem, but it just seemed odd to me. Also, the center console is just too damn big (too high and too wide), again contributing to an overall cramped feeling in the drivers seat. The old IS had a better feeling in my opinion. Even my wife, who is only 5'4" complained of the same things, and we didn't discuss our feelings of the car until our ride home from the dealership (as is our custom to avoid biasing one another - my wife is so cool).

I will give some credit to the back seat. It is definitely an improvement over the IS300. I know that the specs for the car show only a .4 inch increase in leg room, but it is definitely more than that, at least as far as knee room is concerned. Even with the driver's seat in position for me, I could fit in the back seat fairly comfortably. Granted, I wouldn't want to be back there for much more than 30 minutes or so, but I'm a pretty big person. Head room was acceptable, but it felt like a little less than the new 3 series. The new IS does have more foot room than the new 3 though. My only complaint about the back seat was that it feels VERY narrow. As I was sitting in the backseat, it looked like I could only fit one more person my size in the back with me without brushing elbows. With the rear armrest down, I felt jammed in between the door and armrest, again contributing to a very cramped feeling for me.

Now for driving impressions. Upon initial startup, I was surprised at how quiet the car is. No exhaust rumble, no vibration, just extreme quiet. At least the added weight of the sound deadening material does perform a useful task. Switchgear all functioned well. I had the ventilated seats turned all the way up, but neither me nor my wife noticed much air coming out of them. It was a relatively warm day, but we were driving for about 20 minutes and even at the end of our driving session, I still only barely felt the air. It might be just enough to keep the sweat from forming down your spine on those hot summer days, but that's about it.

Off we go. I left the car in drive for the first half of my drive, as that is how I'd drive the car 90% of the time. The engine proved to be as potent as expected given the HP/torque ratings, but I noticed that inital acceleration in first gear seemed slow, as if the car just didn't want to go. I did not have the "power" mode on nor did I disable the traction control, so that may have something to do with it. Power in second and third gear was outstanding though. The car really does fly. However, I really didn't notice any exhaust not inside the car with the windows up and the A/C running. It definitely does detract from the experience. Shifts in auto mode were very smooth. Lexus certainly has built a nice tranny here. The tranny was fairly quick to kickdown, which was a nice plus. On my second half of the drive, I started playing with the paddles. To be honest, it was quite a let down. Shifts are not fast enough, especially when pushing the car hard. I bounced off the rev limiter a few times. This can be cured by hitting the shift paddle earlier than you would want to. You also need to back off the gas during shifts to keep the transitions smooth. The paddles themselves are also too small. I have above average size hands/fingers, and I found reaching the paddles to be a stretch at times. Pushing the paddles outward a half inch or so would be much better, at least for me. My other big issue with the paddles was that during any spirited driving on curvy roads, the paddles are basically impossible to find. Combined with the apparent slow ratio steering, any curvy mountain road driving will find the paddles unreachable pretty much any time you feel the need to shift. The steering wheel could stand to be a tiny bit thicker too.

Brakes worked very well. At slow speeds they are a little grabby, but I was one of the first people to drive this car, so that may change with a few more miles. On the road, they had nice feedback and modulation. I really didn't stand on them during the course of my drive, but they felt solid enough for anyone. What was nice is the almost complete lack of dive under braking. The car felt solid and controlled even under heavy braking.

Highway driving was very smooth. Even with the 18 inch rims and summer tires, the ride was controlled, yet compliant. This car will make for a very nice highway cruiser. The car tracked very straight, even when confronted with rougher patches of highway.

At this point the new IS really had presented me with mixed emotions. The car drove pretty nicely and looked fabulous, yet the cramped feeling of the interior and how it isolated you from the car so much really disappointed me. Then I got to the twisty tight mountain roads and any positive feelings I had left for the car pretty much fell apart. Steering feedback is not very good. Overall weighting (which was nice for "normal" driving) is just too light for an enthusiast. The steering ratio feels a little too slow when the road gets twisty, which means you need to crank the wheel farther than you'd think to avoid running off the road. This also makes the paddles useless on spirited driving, since they are never where your hands need to be to keep proper control of the vehicle. The car also tended to plow (understeer) quite a bit through turns. I found that the car initially turned in quickly, but then sort of "faded" out on any tight turn at speed, causing me to correct with more wheel as the car pushed to the outside. The car also didn't lend itself well to using the throttle to then dial in a bit of oversteer to counter this. I didn't have the car in "power" mode, so I'll test that out on my next test drive which will be in a car with the performance package. Driver confidence in this car is NOT GOOD. The IS just does not inspire you to push it hard when the road gets tight and curvy. I knew the test drive roads very well from driving in numerous cars (including a couple IS300s - which handled these same roads much better), but found myself driving much slower than expected to the relatively sloppy handling of the IS. I reached the limits of the car well before my own limits, which is just not the way a "sport sedan" should behave. The new IS does handle the bumpy sections of these same streets much better than the old IS (which would bottom out on some of these same roads), and obviously has a LOT more power than the IS300, but this whole test drive reminded me just how much more fun the old IS was to whip through the twisties. Horsepower and
increased suspension travel notwithstanding, advantage IS300.

I'm going to wait to drive the Performance packaged IS350 before making a final decision, but the wife and I immediately drove the 10 miles down the highway to the local BMW dealership and took out a 330i, Sport package car with an automatic. Well, the interior is not as posh feeling, but the 330 feels MUCH more spacious inside. Visibility over the dash is excellent and you just feel like you have so much more room to stretch out inside. For some reason, the car feels so much wider than the IS. Even as I was doing my ritual backseat test, I felt like the 330 could fit two of me plus a smaller person abreast, whereas the IS would barely hold two of me across. Plus, the 330 does have a slight advantage in rear headroom and a noticeable advantage on rear knee room. The trunk was nice on the IS, but I think the 330 may actually have more USEABLE space. Combined with the advantage of the available fold down rear seat, the practicality award certainly goes to the BMW.

Getting the car out on the road really just confirmed my opinion of the IS350. To quote my wife's response after thrashing the 330 around the Cushetunk resevoir in NJ (a great drive if you're ever in Hunterdon county, NJ), "I was driving the 330. The IS was driving ME." The BMW salesguy just gave us the I told you so look. He had been at the Taste of Lexus event in NY just a few weeks ago and had driven the car himself. Driver confidence in the 330 is just SO much better. Doing 75 around the resevoir I hit my own limits of comfort much earlier than the 330 did. I'll need a little practice before going much faster around these same turns. After driving the IS350, there's NO WAY I would have even attempted taking these turns at the same speed. It just wouldn't be prudent if I wanted to avoid a nice little trip over the guard rails and into the resevoir.

Also, the 330 didn't feel much slower than the 350 with the auto. I could notice the 50hp difference a bit in the seat of the pants, but it was far more subtle than I expected. The 330 seemed a bit quicker in first gear, but the IS350 had more kick in second and third. Frankly, the 330 is more than quick enough for me (I've got no points on the license and would like to keep it that way, so the IS350 is almost overkill at this point).

I had really expected to be placing my order for my IS350 on Saturday after my test drive. I'm still going to wait another week or so until the first 350s arrive with the performance package before making my final decision, but I doubt that the minimal changes to the suspension are going to change my mind. Lexus really needs to do some more suspension/steering tuning to turn this car into a winner. Even the G35 inspires more driver confidence.

Also, I did do a little stereo evaluation between the BASE IS stereo (Pioneer I believe) versus the Logic 7 system in the BMW. They did not have any IS cars yet (obviously as this is the NE region) but techinically, I was comparing the BASE speaker system in each car. I didn't have a ton of time to really tweak all the EQs perfectly, but on a cursory setup, here's my thoughts, primarily evaluated using Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances (Reference Recording RR-96). The IS system had a definite DEEP bass advantage over the Logic 7 in the BMW, as it should given the 8" sub in the rear deck. However, the Logic 7 had a definite advantage in the midbass region, as even with no tweaking of the EQ, it was tight, accurate, and punchy on the kettle drums in the track. The Pioneer system in the IS was nice, but mid range and treble just felt "off" to me. A little lifeless. The logic 7 system really surpised me. Mid range and treble really just sounded "right." They were more crisp and clean in the BMW than the IS. Definitely far more "audiophile" than the stock IS system. Don't get me wrong, even the Pioneer in the IS sounded a bit better to me than either the ELS system in the Acura TL or the Bose system in the G35, but not up par with the Logic 7. Maybe the ML system in the IS trumps the Logic 7, but you can't get one yet in the NE, so it's kind of a moot point as of now.

I think this is long enough, but feel free to comment as you see fit.
Old 10-16-05, 05:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman009
"I was driving the 330. The IS was driving ME."
I think that sums it up with respects to performance. No one can deny that BMW truly provides the ultimate driving experience. However, the majority of people that value luxury, the IS does take care of the driver in more ways than one...

Very thorough and encompassing. Thanks for your input in aesthetic feel, driving impressions, and stock/base stereo comparisons. Not a lot of people give more than "I like/hate it". Final advice: The best way to pass judgement is to test drive it.

Now how about someone doing the same thorough evaluation and comparison with another car of the same class? The G35, TL, or A4 perhaps?
Old 10-16-05, 05:26 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman009

Ok, you asked for it.

It's great to read pro's and con's to everyone's reviews. However, you sure had alot of con's to your long long post. Maybe your expectations were too high.

Most cars today you can't see the hood from the drivers seat, maybe you can on the E90 that might be cause the interior design is from the 70's looking out. I still own a E46 for the past 6 years and you can't see the entire hood on that car either from the drivers view.

I also wondered when I was gonna get to your post about comparing it to the E90 and there it is. There 2 separate cars, 2 different animals. It sounds to me like you want an E90 for the handling performance.

I'm also not going to tell you...you want more room so why don't you look at the GS. It sounds like you want a BMW and that is not a bad thing, get what works for you.
Old 10-16-05, 05:30 PM
Agni88
Driver

It really comes down to what kind of person you are, and what your driving needs are. If you want all the latest gadgets, luxury, and lower price, go for the IS, if u want a car that feels like its an extension of your body go for the bmw.

The biggest selling point for me was the price of the IS and all the cool gadgets and tech stuff that comes with teh car. 40k for a 325i(with most options, w/o navi) or 45k for the 330i, where as i can get an IS350 for 40k w/ luxury pkg, or IS250 with luxury+Nav/ML for 40k. My budget is 40k so as you can see the IS is a better choice for me.

As far as looks, i think the BMW looks better but w/e...sacrifices must be made
Old 10-16-05, 06:01 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Turning on PWR mode as opposed to having it in normal mode makes a HUGE difference. It would be worth test driving again to feel the true power of the car, as you have not even felt the power if you didn't have the switch flipped. In my SC300, having the PWR switch up really doesen't seem to do that much, but when I was driving this car it was night and day
Old 10-16-05, 07:31 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

It sounds like you want a BMW
I agree completely with that statement. I do appreciate the review though.

I too drove both vehicles and my experience was the exact opposite. The contrast between the two was measureable, and it didnt favor the 330i. To start, I thought the stereo in the 330i was inferior to my '98 Honda Civic. I was horrified that such a vehicle could be equipped with such a bad stereo. I used the same tracks to compare less than 15 minutes apart.

The BMW reminds me of a vehicle that had been made 10 years ago. I drove in a '96 3-series the other day and the interior and electronics were very familiar. Overall, there was nothing about the 330i that I liked. I supposed that makes me a Lexus person and not a BMW person.

I found the power in the IS350 to be outstanding in just about every way. I felt the handling to be suprisingly similar to the BMW. Of COURSE the BMW salesman is going to give you feedback favorable to his car. Now, I know the Lexus doesnt handle as well as a 330i, but it wasnt anything this driver could notice. The difference here? By no means am I a fantastic driver.

My friend and I both felt the ventilated seats immediately. I did have to turn the AC on quite high to feel the air come out, but the seats cooled down quickly on the low setting.

I do think the IS350 is suprisingly small inside. I also found a neighbor's Ferrari 360 Modena equally snug. I havent been in a Porche lately, but I'm going to guess that it is also snug. See where I'm going with this? I do agree that the IS350 could stand for a bit more room.

Overall, I think it's a great car. Something almost everyone seems to miss is how technoglogically advanced it is. The TL may come close, but no one can beat the gadgetry in the IS.
Old 10-16-05, 08:02 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Heh - IS350, Ferrari, and Porsche in the same sentence... There's a first.
Old 10-16-05, 08:12 PM
Agni88
Driver

but no one can beat the gadgetry in the IS.
atleast the e90 bmw has bluetooth standred...unlike the IS
Old 10-16-05, 08:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Agni88
atleast the e90 bmw has bluetooth standred...unlike the IS
True but a comparable 330i to a IS350 would cost a few thousand more.
Old 10-16-05, 08:51 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
True but a comparable 330i to a IS350 would cost a few thousand more.

That's because of the oh so expensive BT right?
Old 10-16-05, 08:59 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Heh - IS350, Ferrari, and Porsche in the same sentence... There's a first.
Sports cars of vastly different quality, all sharing a common frame of reference.
Old 10-16-05, 09:12 PM
jyg es3
Driver

Default my initial is 350 test drive

I too drove an IS 350 Saturday Am on wet roads, performance version 18 summer tires sport suspension. Be advised I presently drive a 5sp MT 193 hp bmw 528, non sport pacakage. When we left the dealers lot I turned I thought slowly on to the intersecting street. it was if i where on snow or ice, the back end started to slid out!! VDIM did cut in , but I was not going all that fast and there was not much water on the road. This did not inspire driving confidence. I was afraid
to really get on the car. Car is quick,but not subjectively as quick as m45 infinity. No substitue for torque. The drive was pleasant, but not a true sports sedan, not even close to my non sport bmw.
I've driven it in the rain, rear end never has slid out. DSC BMW tracation/stabilty control intervened once when I was going like hell down an entrance ramp. no loss of control just trottle shutting down as Car sensed it was loosing traction.Iis 350 Seats were good. dash is too high. headroom is too low. I'm only 5' 7" and maybe 2 inches to the headliner, with seat all the way down. Not the same driving position as in the BMW. You know the car is made for the driver as everything lays perfectly in handin the bmw..
Did not like the angled window controls, but I will admit new BMW have same fault. Engine is quiet inside the cabin, but clicking injectors can be heard with hood up. Tranny shift smoothly, but due to weather did not kick it down, just gave it as smoothly. Will drive car again in dry weather. I also drove auto is 250. Sorry its too slow. I drove it as it had standard suspension, ride is more comfortable than sport suspension. I'm truly concerned about summer tires in rain. AS a result will not consider sport pack,
Old 10-16-05, 09:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by VitB6

That's because of the oh so expensive BT right?
You obviously don't see the bigger picture here as you continually provoke argument with BT. You can't get it on non-nav IS250 or IS350. That's the plain truth. Get over it.
Old 10-16-05, 09:33 PM
brucewayne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jyg es3
I too drove an IS 350 Saturday Am on wet roads, performance version 18 summer tires sport suspension. Be advised I presently drive a 5sp MT 193 hp bmw 528, non sport pacakage. When we left the dealers lot I turned I thought slowly on to the intersecting street. it was if i where on snow or ice, the back end started to slid out!! VDIM did cut in , but I was not going all that fast and there was not much water on the road. This did not inspire driving confidence. I was afraid
to really get on the car.

After all the comparisons to the 3-series we have seen so far, does anyone else find it ironic that a BMW driver is complaining that the VDIM didn't kick-in soon enough ?
Old 10-16-05, 09:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by jyg es3
When we left the dealers lot I turned I thought slowly on to the intersecting street. it was if i where on snow or ice, the back end started to slid out!! VDIM did cut in , but I was not going all that fast and there was not much water on the road. This did not inspire driving confidence. I was afraid
to really get on the car. Car is quick,but not subjectively as quick as m45 infinity. No substitue for torque. The drive was pleasant, but not a true sports sedan, not even close to my non sport bmw.
You're definitely entitled to your opinion but here are some things I found interesting...

1) You mentioned the rear end started to slide out. Did it occur to you there is 306 HP at the touch of the throttle compared to the 193hp your BMW only has? That's a big difference there...113 HP difference to be exact. You probably pressed the accellerator at the same rate you usually do with your own BMW.

2) VDIM cut in. Are you sure it was VDIM or was it TRAC retarding power to the rear wheels as it was doing it's job detecting slippage as you were pulling out of the dealer lot? VDIM is an integration of all the systems working together combined. You need to do alot more to get VDIM to get into action.

3) The road was wet correct? Summer tires and inclement weather. You're not going to get suberb traction with summer tires that are designed for dry summer conditions.

4) The car is quick but not as quick as an M45. Okay lets try to make sense of this. You have a 306 HP V6 vs. a big heavy car with a 335hp 4.5L V8. Again you're not going to get the same feel of power delivery between a V8 and V6 with totally different gearing ratios. The IS350 probably feels slow to you since the 6spd manual's shifting is super smooth compared to the more abrupt shifting of others. It's probable you didn't have ECT PWR on. Smoother than most vehicles out there, true no substitute for torque but the IS350 does hold it's own. Both the M45 and IS350 are fast cars but then again two different types of vehicles you're trying to compare here.

Quick Reply: My Initial IS350 Test Drive Impressions