IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulling my deposit...I think

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 01:15 PM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling my deposit...I think (anyone want my reserved 350?)

Went to test drive the car today, and it is smaller than I would have ever imagined. The front seat legroom is fine if the seat is all the way back, but the hip room seems pretty light. Also, the center consel and gear shifter are so high, that it is almost uncomfortable to switch gears (and this was an auto). The paddle shifters were cheap plastic, the dash looked a bit cheap and the placement of the window controls was counterintuitive (you have to reach around the door handle to get to it). Finally, the back seat room sucked. I am almost 6'2" and am pretty skinny, and had no chance of even entering the back seat behind the driver seat that I had made comfortable for myself.

I don't know guys, looks like maybe a GS or M3 now...damnit, I had a deposit in for 7 months for this thing!

Last edited by 2ndGenIS; 10-14-05 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-13-05, 01:18 PM
jobber99
Rookie

i'm 6' 222 lbs and made it a point not to sit next to my wife in the front but instead sit in the back while she was being shown the controls of the car. i sat in the back about 15 min, it was "ok" but you're right, there's not much wiggle room back there particularly for your head. i just wish that there was maybe 1-2" more for your head.
Old 10-13-05, 01:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIS
The front seat legroom is fine if the seat is all the way back, but the hip room seems pretty light... Finally, the back seat room sucked.

The paddle shifters were cheap plastic, the dash looked a bit cheap and the placement of the window controls was counterintuitive (you have to reach around the door handle to get to it).

I am almost 6'2" and am pretty skinny, and had no chance of even entering the back seat behind the driver seat that I had made comfortable for myself.
The IS was built with the driver in mind, not the back seat passenger. In fact, driver room is similar to the GS by less than half an inch in all dimensions. Lexus has admitted that if you need more passenger room, the ES is a more appropriate car.

If the paddle shifters were metal, they would easily get hot if left under the sun. Plastic versus metal have insignificant cost differences for the paddle shifter; it was just one choice over the other. It is true that the dash is full of plastic, but so are most entry-level luxury sedans out there. The good thing is that Lexus build their cars very well; little (practically no) gaps, strong durable plastics, and quality that still stands out in the long run.
Old 10-13-05, 02:29 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The dash is a letdown on this car. It felt and looked real cheap, imo. Next time you look at the dash, focus on the finish of the plastic materal, especially around the vents.
Old 10-13-05, 02:49 PM
rothenburg
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the car. It looks good from the pictures. I'm 6'5 and have the seat all the way back in the current IS. Only really short people can sit me behind me when I'm driving so I'm sure the 2nd gen IS is the same way..
Old 10-13-05, 02:51 PM
jiggyman
Driver School Candidate

Man PhilipMSPT you are so PRO-Lexus you should get your IS for FREE.
Everytime someone has an honest question or concern, you defend Lexus like it was your child.
Don't get me wrong we all are Lex Fans and they are a World Class Company but Come On!
No dis-respect, but if your IS comes in with 2 Wheels, no roof, and no Steering Wheel I'm sure you will post how Lexus has created a great competitor to the Seguay.

Last edited by jiggyman; 10-13-05 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 03:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggyman
Man PhilipMSPT you are so PRO-Lexus you should get your IS for FREE.
Everytime someone has an honest question or concern, you defend Lexus like it was your child.
Don't get me wrong we all are Lex Fans and they are a World Class Company but Come On!
No dis-respect, but if your IS comes in with 2 Wheels, no roof, and no Steering Wheel I'm sure you will post how Lexus has created a great competitor to the Seguay.
I think it's only fair everyone has a right to express their opinion Pro or Anti Lexus. Just because you see it one way doesn't mean it is the definitive view of others. Everyone is entitled to their opinions here. No need to point it out and grill him about it. Everyone is nice here, let's all be civil adults and respect everyone's views and opinions.
Old 10-13-05, 03:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Man PhilipMSPT you are so PRO-Lexus...
I am pro-Lexus. I am also Pro-BMW and Pro-Acura. I know quality when I see it. When I see something good in design or performance or value, I will comment on it. There may be something better, but I know that with Lexus, there are a whoooole lotta things worse.

But since this is a Pro-Lexus forum, I will defend Lexus. Believe me, I know Lexus' downfalls. I know that they are expensive and conservative and not-so-spirited. I know that most car companies are cutting costs here and there, and Lexus is no exception. However, Lexus still dominates certain aspects of automobile design. Hopefully, you get to see it like everyone else in this forum.

P.S. I do not get the cars for free. Almost, but not free...

P.P.S. Thanks Flipside!
Old 10-13-05, 03:36 PM
jiggyman
Driver School Candidate

I agree with your point Flip, and I apologize for being too harsh... But something is wrong if everytime a post-er defends Lexus when we have some concerns or bad things to say about Lexus. At least for me it makes us feel like our concerns bear no weight and that Lexus has a reason for everything they do. I stand by comments....
Old 10-13-05, 03:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

At least for me it makes us feel like our concerns bear no weight and that Lexus has a reason for everything they do. I stand by comments....
Concerns about a car have a lot of weight, and that is why cars continuously go through redesign and refurbishment. There is a reason for everything a carmaker does. They cut corners, they copy other cars, they charge extra for something new and exclusive (and Lexus just did all that with the IS). No car is perfect, and that is why there are so many options out there.

In due time, every carmaker will be able to personalize every aspect of car design and performance to accommodate everyone's needs. As for now, what the IS has is what you can get.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-13-05 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 03:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I agree with your point Flip, and I apologize for being too harsh... But something is wrong if everytime a post-er defends Lexus when we have some concerns or bad things to say about Lexus. At least for me it makes us feel like our concerns bear no weight and that Lexus has a reason for everything they do. I stand by comments....
No worries. I will be one to admit I defend Lexus when I can. I don't work for Lexus but I do understand alot of their philosphy in the vehicles they offer us. Everyone has a right to agree or disagree. We are in a Lexus biased forum so there will be the expected Lexus bias amongst us. I do agree Lexus has it's downfalls too which I do see but I find alot more positives that outweigh the negatives in my views and preferences. All in all everyone has a favorite, mine just happens to be Lexus & Toyota.
Old 10-13-05, 04:01 PM
fz1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maximus330
The dash is a letdown on this car. It felt and looked real cheap, imo. Next time you look at the dash, focus on the finish of the plastic materal, especially around the vents.
Granted, I wasn't looking THAT close to the materials etc but I thought the dash looked fantastic. Not so austere and utilitarian like my beemer and the Acura's. It felt like a cockpit without actually being one and retaining the luxury styling. Just my
Old 10-13-05, 04:29 PM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIS
Went to test drive the car today, and it is smaller than I would have ever imagined. The front seat legroom is fine if the seat is all the way back, but the hip room seems pretty light. Also, the center consel and gear shifter are so high, that it is almost uncomfortable to switch gears (and this was an auto). The paddle shifters were cheap plastic, the dash looked a bit cheap and the placement of the window controls was counterintuitive (you have to reach around the door handle to get to it). Finally, the back seat room sucked. I am almost 6'2" and am pretty skinny, and had no chance of even entering the back seat behind the driver seat that I had made comfortable for myself.

I don't know guys, looks like maybe a GS or M3 now...damnit, I had a deposit in for 7 months for this thing!

you build up your mind with dreams and expectations, making you anxious to get your foot
on IS... now you really going to give up?
Old 10-13-05, 05:03 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

He isn't alone. Despite my tone, I was pretty psyched for the IS350 too, and I am a little let down. The pricing is too high for what you get (imo, of course, and keep in mind I'm in Canada). I can't decide what to do now, either. The warranty on our 330i is up in ~6 months, so I'll have to make a call before then. I suppose I will wait and see if prices on the IS's come down some (as in, some room for haggling).

I'm going to drive the IS350 again tomorrow. We'll see.

Last edited by picus; 10-13-05 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 05:18 PM
Gantra
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Mistakes

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The IS was built with the driver in mind, not the back seat passenger. In fact, driver room is similar to the GS by less than half an inch in all dimensions. Lexus has admitted that if you need more passenger room, the ES is a more appropriate car.

If the paddle shifters were metal, they would easily get hot if left under the sun. Plastic versus metal have insignificant cost differences for the paddle shifter; it was just one choice over the other. It is true that the dash is full of plastic, but so are most entry-level luxury sedans out there. The good thing is that Lexus build their cars very well; little (practically no) gaps, strong durable plastics, and quality that still stands out in the long run.

Regarding back seat room, Lexus goofed pretty bad. The whole point of any sedan is to have at least 4 useable seats. Lexus made a mistake by not making a decent back seat. The 1st generation IS never had other versions except for the wagon/Sportcross. But the 2nd generation model will have a coupe and convertible to name a few. Both of these models will be optimized for that super tight driver specific design/dimension optimization. The sedan is for carrying people in the front and the back. Anyone interested in the IS is sure NOT going to think of the ES as an alternative.

It makes no sense for them to have shorted the back seat passengers so bad. Perhaps, as some speculate, Lexus was terrified of cannibalizing sales from the GS. Of course, the fix for that is to just give the GS more power and more luxury to differentiate.

I'm quite disappointed in the IS350 too, as i was at one time sold on it. No longer.

Quick Reply: Pulling my deposit...I think