IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulling my deposit...I think

Old 10-13-05, 05:46 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in. I drove a Crystal White/Cashmere 'Premium Plus' IS350 today. I was floored by how beautiful it was as the salesman pulled up in it. I was truly awestruck.

I'm 6'1" 225 lbs.

I remembered reading an earlier post about the cabin being small, so I sat in the back seat. The back seat is small, but it is suitable for use as a typical back seat. I certainly wouldnt host a carpool of 4 for an hour long commute, but taking people to lunch or putting a kid or two back there would work out fine.

I then sat up front. Yes, the cabin IS smaller than I expected, especially after sitting in a GS. I drive a Honda Civic and it seems smaller, but I don't think it is, I just think it has a lot going on.

Moving my head from left to right caused it to brush up against the headliner. I also found my forward view obstructed as my eyes were above the top of the windshield. I leaned my seat back a bit and had plenty of head room and could see just fine out the window. I was comfortable and all was well.

I personally didnt find any part of the interior cheap. I thought it was all very well done. That's just my opinion.

I did drive the car and can simply leave my review of that experience as pure amazement.

I had already ordered that car, and knew I wanted it. After visiting the dealer and seeing it for myself, I know my decision is rock solid.

This is my opinion - YMMW.
Old 10-13-05, 11:03 PM
my06GS300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I do not think that the IS is for 6’2” people! My daughter is 5’2” and her 02IS300 is the perfect size for her. My wife’s 01GS300 is just tailored for her size. As far as myself; I drive the 06GS300 and as a 225Lbs guy I wish I would buy the LS model. The car is great! I just can’t spread my legs. Actually, the 01GS is wider and there is a room under the left armrest for your knees. The 06GS does not have this. This is an ergonomic problem for me and I will replace my 06GS with the new LS when the new LS arrives. Let’s put it this way; if you have problem flying couch than you should skip the IS model and buy business/first class such as LS. However, I also have to admit that the IS is the most fun to drive car!
Old 10-14-05, 01:48 AM
NeonDan
Rookie

...im 6 foot 160lbs....yet i feel the driver's seat is a bit narrow

...thats how i feel when i see all the threads on how disappointed people are with the car...geez dont expect the world. Lexus has plenty of new stuff in the work, while you people are being distracted by the current launches there are a few tricks up the jap's hat coming soon.
mark my words
Old 10-14-05, 05:28 AM
fz1
Driver School Candidate

I'm 6'2" 250 and I found it to be comfortable with ample room. Not as much as some other cars but no less than the 3 series BMW.
Old 10-14-05, 06:54 AM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Well...glad I'm not the only person that feels the way I do, but interesting to hear the people w/ similar stature to me feeling comfortable in the car. Part of my bias may be that I am coming out of a 2004 Acura TL, which is a really comfortable car!

As for the title of the thread, I have not pulled my deposit (actually, I have three cars on hold, sorry guys!!). I am just pretty sure that I do not want to put my hard earned money into a car that I am going to have to convince myself I like. Lots of times people have cars grow on them, but I need instant love (or at least instant like) in order to really consider it.

Anyhow, if anyone wants a red w/ black interior, or a white w/ black interior IS 350 w/ Premium Luxury Plus, let me know ASAP as I am about to release my deposits at 3 So. Cal dealerships.
Old 10-14-05, 08:36 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

I guess it really comes down to your personal body proportions and your torso length, and not so much your overall height and weight.
Old 10-14-05, 08:59 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

LOL

Regarding the interior looking cheap, I wonder if people are refering to the non-navigation version?? The interior with nav looks pretty nice to me in pictures. Does it really look that bad in person?

Last edited by BrickHead; 10-14-05 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-14-05, 09:18 AM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrickHead
LOL

Regarding the interior looking cheap, I wonder if people are refering to the non-navigation version?? The interior with nav looks pretty nice to me in pictures. Does it really look that bad in person?

I was in the fully optioned Navi car and the dashboard seemed to be a really imposing wall of plastic. It is sort of odd in that it was not very deep (distance between the end of the dash and the windshield), but it was really high. The plastic used just didn't seem so great to me.

BTW, is there a difference in look w/ the non-navi version?
Old 10-14-05, 09:48 AM
Serene
Driver School Candidate

I honestly believe that the car is too expensive. I am probably going to wait a year and see if the price drops.

The dashboard is cheap plastic.

The side mirrors could have been better

For 32+ thousand this car should obtain more than 205 horsepower.

This car might as well be 2 doors, unless you have 3 midgets that you hang out with, then they can be placed in the back otherwise you want something roomier.

I am going to wait. Sorry for the negativity but I am simply stating facts, because there is WAYY too much support for this vehicle.

Last edited by Serene; 10-14-05 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-14-05, 10:10 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Sorry for the negativity but I am simply stating facts, because there is WAYY too much support for this vehicle.
I'd have to disagree that you are stating facts. Just like those who support the vehicle, you are stating your opinion, and that's great.

I also disagree that the vehicle is too expensive. It might be too expensive for your preference, but a person with a million bucks in the bank, or a 16-year old kid with a job at McDonalds and nothing better to spend his money on might not think it's too expensive. It's all relative.

I'm not sure what the deal with the complaints about the dash is. I tend to be a perfectionist and I think the dash is quite nice. Again, we're talking opinion here. It is my opinion that $35,000 is not a lot of money, so I see a lot of value in what the IS offers.

Let's take this a step further. Go check out the dash of the new Civic EX. Wiggle the ***** and use various components. The build quality of that dash far exceeds BMW 7-series, Lexus LS and anything Infinity has put out. Do you want to roll around in a Civic? You might, I don't know, my point is just that dash quality is hardly a show-stopper.

While I agree that you won't fit 3 people in the back seat, 2 fit just fine. Sure, it's tight, but it's not horrible and it beats walking.

I think expectations were set WAY too high for this vehicle. Some people expected something that can't exist, and are really disappointed. What I'm talking about is a car that pleases everyone. Some people are going to love it, some are going to hate it. Based on my taste, and frame of reference, I love every bit of the IS.
Old 10-14-05, 10:18 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Question - what cas are you guys comparing to when you say the interior feels cheap? I'm coming from a G35/330i, and the IS's have a better interior than both. The dashboard is plastic, but that's pretty uniformly true as far as I can tell. I did have a few issue with it - dash is too high, the paddle shifter plastic feels cheap, and I can see it rubbing down very easily - but otherwise I was impressed.

Is it TL owners who are seeing it as cheap. If so, I can see that - the TL has a pretty nice interior.

Gonzo - I mostly agree with you on the high expectations thing. I think a lot of us got pretty built up and are now realizing no car can be everything to everybody. However, I still agree with the folks saying it is comparitively too expensive. I think for a couple grand less money it would be a much better value. Just imo, of course.
Old 10-14-05, 10:29 AM
Serene
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs

I think expectations were set WAY too high for this vehicle.
That is exactly what I meant. Great response, your certainly right....whoever is financially stable, or feels responsible to afford the car in any situation that's great, but believe me, to us folks with families 2-3 grand makes a difference. It really does. That is why I am scratching my head if the IS 250 is 32 and IS 350 is 34 thousand, but of course noone is going to buy a stripped car, that's why the add ons like navigation system is extra 10 grand with other minor features is something that a lot of people are considering to wait a bit until the prices drop. Because the OVERALL price, not the base price is expensive.

Last edited by Serene; 10-14-05 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-14-05, 10:35 AM
fz1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Serene
For 32+ thousand this car should obtain more than 205 horsepower.
people get too hung up on horsepower - 185 lb-ft torque is nothing to sneeze at - espeically coming from a 205hp engine. The gearing ratio is important as well. I have yet to drive the manual but the AWD does not seem to be underpowered in the least.
Old 10-14-05, 10:45 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

but believe me, to us folks with families 2-3 grand makes a difference. It really does.
It does to me as well. It's just that the IS satisfies just about every requirement I have, which was quite a suprise to be honest. Here is what I'm after:

1. Decent gas mileage
2. Fun to drive/Performance
3. Comfortable

Sure the TL can do all that, but the FWD part turns me off and I MUST HAVE SIRIUS! Think Stern.

I really don't like the 330i but, again, that's just one man's opinion.

If I could change anything I would make it a bit bigger, other than that, I'm real exicted about taking delivery.

I sort of feel sorry for those who are disappointed, because I honestly have a big problem with most of the other cars in the class. I'd probably settle for a <$20,000 commuter car if the IS didnt work out for me.
Old 10-14-05, 11:30 AM
NEEDanIS
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I sort of feel sorry for those who are disappointed, because I honestly have a big problem with most of the other cars in the class. I'd probably settle for a <$20,000 commuter car if the IS didnt work out for me.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to state my agreement with the following statement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulling my deposit...I think