IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Drove a 330i for the 2nd time

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 05:46 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a 350 about a week ago and thought that the stock audio system was more than adequate. I would actually say it is quite good. Next to a ML, it doesn't compare but unless you are a supreme audiophile I don't think the stock system needs to upgraded at all. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-24-05, 11:29 PM
ilan
Driver School Candidate

I listened to the ML in the GS 300 (the car I've decided to buy) and it was outstanding . The dealer even put in a movie dvd and the surround sound was unreal . I used to produce music for a hobby using Dynaudio's BM15A's for monitoring and this system still blew me away. It could use a bit more headroom in the bass department but that's if you're totally blasting it or have the EQ in a severe smile pattern.
Old 10-25-05, 12:01 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I listened to the ML in the new '06 GS430 and was severely disappointed. Loaded up some test discs and just plain shut off the system after 15 minutes. Tried different bass, mid, treble settings as well as ASL, DSP, surround, etc. Doesn't even come close to my aftermarket system that I used to have (McIntosh, Dynaudio, Velodyne, modded stuff) and won't even hold a candle to the home system that I'm using (SCD-1 modded, ESOTAR stuff). The ONLY ML system that blew me away was the one in the LS430...that's it. Everything else sounded too painful.

Once when I swapped out my stock pioneer system with Dynaudio speakers, it's a different story. And after I install my gear back in, it'll be another level again.

Percy
Old 11-23-05, 02:21 AM
ForBabynMe
Driver School Candidate

Threxx, I have to say something here... first of all, metal domes typically do have ringing, but Infinity patented one that definitely has none. As for active servo, you are wrong about two things. First, active servo has nothing to do with the environment the driver is in, per se, it is only a tool for keep the element in close alignment with the input signal. In an intimate environment like a car, that might actually come into play and could make a huge difference in that area, in a home environment... active servo would likely only affect that if you did something really dumb like shove a speaker against a wall where it couldn't breathe. Second, active servo has been available for car systems for well over a decade! Where have YOU been???
Old 11-23-05, 02:31 AM
ForBabynMe
Driver School Candidate

Threxx, not to be rude, but you have been reading too many car ads. The so called tuning they do for OEM car audio is limited at best and there is definitely nothing special about any driver ever put in a factory stereo, not even the coveted ML Lexus system. They all use off the shelf parts and at best do a little massaging to make them fit the particulars of the car in question. The aftermarket allows a far greater amount of tuning and can acheive results that make the best of OEM systems look like Spam cassarole (after having eaten the best gourmet foods). You guys all owe it to yourselves to seek out a REAL audio system in a car and you'll hear what music (not thumping and squaking) sounds like. Hey... maybe you could look me up when the system in my car is done... :-)
Old 11-23-05, 02:41 AM
ForBabynMe
Driver School Candidate

Hey Rocman, I hate to risk sounding like a smarty pants, but audio has been my passion for more than 20 years and I only wish to help you catch up to speed a bit. Firstly, 3 dB represents a doubling of power, as does 6 dB represent a quadrupling. However a PERCEIVED doubling of volume comes at 10 dB, which is 10 times the power. Our hearing is not linear, but logrhymic. As for the difference in power... here's a thought! The output of an amplifier is determined (in a car system) by the INPUT of it's power leads. The IS being a smaller car, likely has a smaller alternator and/or less available juice to run the amp. Ergo, the amp will put out less power. TECH TIP: You can make any system far more powerful and sound way better by putting a buffer cap between the amp power leads; this helps give the amp more power on the transients, where it needs it most. On a system no more ambitious than the ML stock system, I would think 500 mF should be more than adequate. Try that and see if your eyes don't widen in disbelief ;-)
Old 11-23-05, 05:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
I listened to the ML in the new '06 GS430 and was severely disappointed. Loaded up some test discs and just plain shut off the system after 15 minutes. Tried different bass, mid, treble settings as well as ASL, DSP, surround, etc. Doesn't even come close to my aftermarket system that I used to have (McIntosh, Dynaudio, Velodyne, modded stuff) and won't even hold a candle to the home system that I'm using (SCD-1 modded, ESOTAR stuff). The ONLY ML system that blew me away was the one in the LS430...that's it. Everything else sounded too painful.

Once when I swapped out my stock pioneer system with Dynaudio speakers, it's a different story. And after I install my gear back in, it'll be another level again.

Percy
did you try ML in IS350?
Old 11-23-05, 07:49 AM
shoei
Driver

Originally Posted by ForBabynMe
Hey Rocman, I hate to risk sounding like a smarty pants, but audio has been my passion for more than 20 years and I only wish to help you catch up to speed a bit. Firstly, 3 dB represents a doubling of power, as does 6 dB represent a quadrupling. However a PERCEIVED doubling of volume comes at 10 dB, which is 10 times the power. Our hearing is not linear, but logrhymic. As for the difference in power... here's a thought! The output of an amplifier is determined (in a car system) by the INPUT of it's power leads. The IS being a smaller car, likely has a smaller alternator and/or less available juice to run the amp. Ergo, the amp will put out less power. TECH TIP: You can make any system far more powerful and sound way better by putting a buffer cap between the amp power leads; this helps give the amp more power on the transients, where it needs it most. On a system no more ambitious than the ML stock system, I would think 500 mF should be more than adequate. Try that and see if your eyes don't widen in disbelief ;-)

People also need to have good if not excellent hearing inorder to fully appreciate some of the sound coming from the speakers. If your hearing is between 0 and 5 dB from 250 Hz and 8000 Hz then you are considered to have excellent hearing. Anything from 0 to 20 dB is considered "normal" hearing. If you have some mild hearing loss from say 2000 Hz to 8000 Hz , then you are loosing some hearing sentativity. Most Audiology tests usually only go out to 8000 Hz, but on some audiometers can go up to 12,000 Hz. I fail to see why manfactures post the frequency responce of speakers up to 20,000 Hz, when most tests for hearing stop at 8k Hz. You need specialized equipment to test hearing beyound 12,000 Hz. The take home message is get your hearing tested and it better be 0 dB across the board. If not then your preference for different manfacture of speakers had been biased.
Old 11-23-05, 07:52 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
did you try ML in IS350?
Local dealer doesn't have one available yet. But, when it arrives, I will give it a listen.

Percy