New 60-page IS350/250 brochure!!

Old 09-29-05, 10:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
Thx for the tip!

Cool brochure, great find!!!

I found the comparisons particularly interesting, with the 'IS advantages' coming out, but also all the info available at the end as well.
Old 09-29-05, 11:32 PM
LexusIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although some of the info may not be new, at least its something for the time being.
Old 09-30-05, 06:59 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

it's practically impossible to find a luxury brand vehicle without sunroof these days, even if it's not standard equipment. One feature I noticed was that the ML system could play both audio AND video DVD's.
Old 09-30-05, 08:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
One feature I noticed was that the ML system could play both audio AND video DVD's.
Kinda old news:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=2
Old 09-30-05, 05:41 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I know I'm starting to sound like some crazy G35 shill, but there is some crazy stuff in that brochures comparision pages. When comparing to the G35 they put advantages like "Larger engine displacement 3.5L", huh? More aerodynamic 0.28cd (G35 sedan is 0.27cd), tigher turning circle 33.5ft (the g35 sedans turning radius is 29.5 ft). Greater fuel capacity 17.1 gallons (G35 is 20 gallons). Greater headroom 39.0in (G's is 41). Standard DRL (both G35's come with standard DRL), homelink tranceiver (both G's have this too), available heated and ventilated seats (again, also available). I can only assume they're comparing it to the G35 coupe (in which case some of the "advantages" are still wrong), which seems odd considering the IS is a sedan and the G35 comes in.... a sedan. I understand why they don't put the other cars advantages in (it is a lexus brochure, afterall), but they could at least be a bit more thorough in their research.

Anyway, don't get me wrong - I've got a deposit in on an IS, but this sort of thing just bothers me for some reason. I am well aware of the IS's substantial advantages (namely the hp/tq, acceleration, much better interior etc...) but it's kind of to see them making stuff up.

(edit - I just kept reading and they have the IS250 as having a greater engine displacement and more hp than the A4 3.0 and the G35 too... looks like Lexus needs a copy editor! Well, either that or someone who knows how to do math :P)

Last edited by picus; 09-30-05 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-30-05, 06:08 PM
webhed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by picus
... looks like Lexus needs a copy editor! Well, either that or someone who knows how to do math :P)
Yeah, maybe somebody from Car and Driver.
Old 09-30-05, 06:37 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by webhed
Yeah, maybe somebody from Car and Driver.
Touche!

Old 09-30-05, 06:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I would mention that the comparison ACCURATELY shows that the G35 has a better drag coefficient and the 330/G35 both ahve better headroom, hiproom, and rear seat room. These facts are clearly stated, not sure about the others, but if there are any mistakes I think Lexus should and would rectify them. Overall, I think that the interior room, backseat especially is a weakness, but overall the interior refinement, exterior looks, engine hp etc. are huge advantages that make the IS a class leader.
Old 09-30-05, 06:55 PM
hans007
Driver School Candidate

I know I'm starting to sound like some crazy G35 shill, but there is some crazy stuff in that brochures comparision pages. When comparing to the G35 they put advantages like "Larger engine displacement 3.5L", huh? More aerodynamic 0.28cd (G35 sedan is 0.27cd), tigher turning circle 33.5ft (the g35 sedans turning radius is 29.5 ft). Greater fuel capacity 17.1 gallons (G35 is 20 gallons). Greater headroom 39.0in (G's is 41). Standard DRL (both G35's come with standard DRL), homelink tranceiver (both G's have this too), available heated and ventilated seats (again, also available). I can only assume they're comparing it to the G35 coupe (in which case some of the "advantages" are still wrong), which seems odd considering the IS is a sedan and the G35 comes in.... a sedan. I understand why they don't put the other cars advantages in (it is a lexus brochure, afterall), but they could at least be a bit more thorough in their research.

Anyway, don't get me wrong - I've got a deposit in on an IS, but this sort of thing just bothers me for some reason. I am well aware of the IS's substantial advantages (namely the hp/tq, acceleration, much better interior etc...) but it's kind of to see them making stuff up.

(edit - I just kept reading and they have the IS250 as having a greater engine displacement and more hp than the A4 3.0 and the G35 too... looks like Lexus needs a copy editor! Well, either that or someone who knows how to do math :P)

i have a g35 coupe and it doesnt have day time running lights. i do agree though that the g35 and is350 comparo seemed kinda off. i'm a big fan of both cars (might trade in my g35 in a year or something , it really is not as quiet or smooth running as even my brother 1996 camry v6) , but definitely there some issues with that comparo, especially since a lot of those optional features are standard on a g35 and optional on an is350 (heated seats, ventilated seats, leather, etc)
Old 09-30-05, 08:45 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma354
I would mention that the comparison ACCURATELY shows that the G35 has a better drag coefficient and the 330/G35 both ahve better headroom, hiproom, and rear seat room. These facts are clearly stated, not sure about the others, but if there are any mistakes I think Lexus should and would rectify them. Overall, I think that the interior room, backseat especially is a weakness, but overall the interior refinement, exterior looks, engine hp etc. are huge advantages that make the IS a class leader.
? Both entries that show the G35 (vs the 350 and 250) say "More aerodynamic 0.28cd" under Lexus advantages. When you get to the index it shows that the G35 has a 0.26cd with the aero package, but for some reason they still list the IS350 as "more areodynamic" on page 32 and 40. Let's not split hairs, though. Clearly that was a mistake, I doubt it was meant to swindle anyone.

I agree, the IS350 looks like it will be a class leader. As I mentioned I have a deposit in with Scarborough Toyota/Lexus, so clearly I've made my choice with my wallet. (I was lucky enough to drive one and, while I agree with the mags that the handling can be a little sterile, the power and *absolutely amazing* refinement won me over) That doesn't mean there aren't a number of mistakes on the comparison page. The numbers in the index look correct, but whoever compared the cars and listed the "Lexus advantages" messed up on a number of areas. It becomes very obvious that mistakes were made when under the Lexus IS250 advantages when compared to the G35 one of the entries is "greater engine displacement: 2.5 litres". I don't think anyone is going to argue that 3.5l is larger displacement than 2.5l There are little things though that some folks might not check up on. They say their warranty is better, it is not (they are indentical, except the infiniti's corrosion warranty is one year longer). The say their car has more fuel capacity, it doesn't (20 vs 17.7), etc.... It just seems careless, and had Infiniti released a similar document I would call them on it, too.

I only brought this up (and trust me, I considered not bothering), because I saw a number of errors on the BMW 330i comparision page, then on the G35 page, then on the A4 page...

Originally Posted by hans007
i have a g35 coupe and it doesnt have day time running lights. i do agree though that the g35 and is350 comparo seemed kinda off. i'm a big fan of both cars (might trade in my g35 in a year or something , it really is not as quiet or smooth running as even my brother 1996 camry v6) , but definitely there some issues with that comparo, especially since a lot of those optional features are standard on a g35 and optional on an is350 (heated seats, ventilated seats, leather, etc)
You're right - that was my mistake. I am comparing the Canadian version of the G35 to the IS350. Canadian G35s come with standard DRL. My bad on that one.

Last edited by picus; 09-30-05 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-30-05, 10:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

? Both entries that show the G35 (vs the 350 and 250) say "More aerodynamic 0.28cd" under Lexus advantages. When you get to the index it shows that the G35 has a 0.26cd with the aero package, but for some reason they still list the IS350 as "more areodynamic" on page 32 and 40. Let's not split hairs, though. Clearly that was a mistake, I doubt it was meant to swindle anyone.
I'm sorry, but on my version of the Adobe file, page 32 is comparing IS 350 to Audi A4 3.2. Under that heading, the IS 350 is 'more aerodynamic' at 0.28 Cd vs. the A4 0.31Cd.

Similarly, page 40 is comparing IS 250 with the Audi A4 2.0 T, in which it is again more aerodynamic at 0.28 Cd over the Audi at 0.33 Cd.

Have you looked at the PDF set on "Continuous-facing" pages? The comparison of the IS 250 with G35 is on pages 38-39, and IS 350 with G35 on pages 30-31. There is NO mention of Cd on those pages, because frankly it is a G35 advantage. There is, however, mention of other IS advantages.

It becomes very obvious that mistakes were made when under the Lexus IS250 advantages when compared to the G35 one of the entries is "greater engine displacement: 2.5 litres". I don't think anyone is going to argue that 3.5l is larger displacement than 2.5l
Here, too, I don't see that claim being made against the G35, the comparison is on pages 38-39. The claim of 'greater engine displacement' is made against the Audi A4 on pages 40-41 and it IS true, 2.5 vs. 2.0 liters.

There are little things though that some folks might not check up on. They say their warranty is better, it is not (they are indentical, except the infiniti's corrosion warranty is one year longer). The say their car has more fuel capacity, it doesn't (20 vs 17.7), etc.... It just seems careless, and had Infiniti released a similar document I would call them on it, too.
Similarly, I see absolutely no claim by Lexus of an advantage on warranty over the G35. On pages 38-39, and 30-31, there is no "Limited Warranty & Roadside Assistance" category, whereas there is for the comparisons with BMW, Audi, etc.

I only brought this up (and trust me, I considered not bothering), because I saw a number of errors on the BMW 330i comparision page, then on the G35 page, then on the A4 page...
Are you sure these are errors, or possibly due to the weird PDF format?
Old 09-30-05, 10:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Here's an image showing the comparisons made of the IS 250 against the Audi A4...and below, cut and paste of the IS 250 vs G35. You'll notice that the WHOLE Performance/Technology sections are included for the IS vs. G35.

Any Performance/Technology claims (fuel tank, Cd, engine displacement) fit only in this section. There is NO fuel tank, Cd, or engine displacement claim made for the IS 250 vs. G35 on pages 38-39. Similarly, there is NO fuel tank, Cd, or engine displacement claim made for the IS 350 vs. G35 on pages 30-31.

Maybe Motor Trend got the turning circle wrong, but it's listed as 36.0 ft here: http://motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/...yw/index3.html
Attached Thumbnails New 60-page IS350/250 brochure!!-is-1.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 09-30-05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-30-05, 11:21 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Adobe Reader 7.0 shows the correctly facing pages as enigma354 says, and I don't see any error either.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-01-05 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 12:26 AM
mjdart
Driver

Nice, very nice but $$$
Old 10-01-05, 08:57 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Actually it is standard in US/Canada I believe, accordng to what Bob Carter said in the chat this evening (I'm 99% sure). I wanted to copy the transcript, but the chat app didn't allow copy/paste. The transcript is suppose to be posted soon.
The Canadian standard equipment model IS350 " A suffix" does not have a moonroof.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 60-page IS350/250 brochure!!