IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Taste of Lexus this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 07:55 AM
isdsms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taste of Lexus this weekend!

I will finally get my opportunity to see the IS up close and test drive both the 250AWD and 350. It has been a long wait! I will post impressions and pictures of both on Sunday night.
Old 09-16-05, 10:58 AM
shoei
Driver

You are lucky! I have to wait till Nov 5th for the SF test drive event. The IS 350 is going to look and sound sweet running around Union Square in down town San Francisco, CA. You'll see the under 35 guys staring with their mouths wide open as the first owners drive around SF come late October and early November.
Old 09-16-05, 11:47 AM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isdsms
I will finally get my opportunity to see the IS up close and test drive both the 250AWD and 350. It has been a long wait! I will post impressions and pictures of both on Sunday night.
Which day and what time (I'm going Sat at 3)
Old 09-16-05, 12:54 PM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350spd
Which day and what time (I'm going Sat at 3)
Sunday at 10:45 and 11. Post your impressions. I'm still undecided about which engine I want. I hpoe the 250 has spirit.
Old 09-16-05, 12:57 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isdsms
Sunday at 10:45 and 11. Post your impressions. I'm still undecided about which engine I want. I hpoe the 250 has spirit.
I will post them. I want the power of the 350, but only have the wallet for a 250

I am going to try to drive the 250 first, so as not to spoil it w/ the 350 first
Old 09-17-05, 06:07 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Post My IS experiance at Taste of Lexus

Went to the taste of Lexus today in NY, check in was not that organized, and the info you provided at sign up on line had to be done again. Sign in took about 25 minutes.

The IS test drive had the most action with a 30 minute wait for the IS250, 45min wait for the IS350 (the most popular of all the drives) and 30 minute wait for the 330i that they had for comparison.

All cars had A/T and the IS's were the hand built prototypes that other CL reviewers have driven, as has the press.

The IS250 was with a standard suspension/tire package
The IS350 was with the sport package
The 330i was with the sport package

They had an autocross style setup with some pretty quick runs, with an emergency lane change maneuver, followed by a right then left, a 270-degree turn, then a few esses and then the finish line.

First and last I drove the IS250, it had good power, but was not the point and shoot performance of the 330i, with soft steering and a little too much of the nanny factor kicking in during the drive.

The 330i was smooth and transitioned without fuss, steering was right on, including steering feel and effort and quick on it’s feet.

The IS350 was about raw power, you could tell immediately that it had a bigger kick in the pants, but, transitions were choppy as the Lexus nanny kicked in way too early, and changed smooth transitions into abruptly computer controlled corrections. The car at time felt like the car was hopping as brakes applied and released in the turns. Power was always ready and on tap though.

Back seat room in the IS was small, nowhere near the size of the current Acura TL, and smaller than the 330i (and I think a steeper angle rear seat back).

I was not able to play with the controls on the car on display, as the battery was pretty dead (you would think they would have it hooked up to a power supply). And time in the car was devoted to the autocross.

To the credit of the cars, they stood up after a hard day of testing (plenty of cars were put off course and had the VDIM kick in plenty of times, including some what appeared to be fishtailing on the IS350’s).

Overall, I came away with the feeling that if you want to corner to the limit, the 330i is your car, if stop light to stop light straight line runs are your thing, the IS350 is your car. However, in terms of interior and exterior appearance, the IS had the BMW beat.

PS – I also got to drive the RX400h, and was impressed with the seamless operation of the hybrid system. Also I drove the 530i, and was not impressed at all with the interior and driving confidence vs. the 330i and IS350.

Last edited by IS350spd; 09-17-05 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-17-05, 08:20 PM
pelucidor
Driver School Candidate

I was also at the NY event in Long Island - drove 100 miles and almost 2 hours from my home in PA. Probably the worst Lexus event I have ever attended due to the lines being ridiculously long in the late afternoon - I did the IS250 AWD (30 mins wait), the BMW 330i with Sport Package (45 min wait) and the IS350 with Sport and PCS etc (about 60 mins wait!).

IS250 AWD
A little sluggish off the line but once it got moving it was superb. I was very impressed at the steering and handling - unfortunately had the Traction light and beeping going quite a bit. Wonderful on the long sweeper with the tires gently screeching away... Much better than I expected, but somewhat slower (and quieter) than my old IS300.

BMW 330i Sport Auto
It was good of Lexus to get a fully equipped BMW (probably over $45k) - the Sport package made it a fair comparison to the IS350. Take off was good - left it in D all the way. Have to give credit to BMW - the tires/suspension really did hold the road like it was on rails - no fuss or drama whatsoever - I should have gone faster. Don't remember much about the car apart from the grip and stability.

IS350 Sport
Took off like a rocket, but quietly too. BMW was much louder at all times - some will like that, but not me. Halfway through the first chicane I heard a RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT and the seatbelt kept trying to tense up and strangle me - almost lost control for half a second until I guessed the car must have PCS (pre-collision system) and I had set it off through my gentle manuevers. Very irritating - I will certainly never get a PCS equipped car unless the belt pre-tension can be turned off. Anyway back to the drive - similar to the IS250 in that it was loads of fun, great brakes, instant reaction to the beautifully weighted steering. I did not notice the VDIM at all (perhaps it never kicked in) but I am not a great driver and miss these kind of things. I could throw the IS350 around a little more than the TC equipped IS250 I think, and of course with higher speeds at all times. Very, very impressed - better in every respect (except maybe exterior styling) than my old IS300. Later confirmed that the white IS350 I drove had PCS but the red one didn't.

This will be my next car to replace the G35 - the BMW probably has better handling and grip in extremis but on public roads and given the way I drive I will never come close to exceeding the limits of the IS350 in the real world. My current G35 lease expires just in time for the 2007 IS350 to hit showrooms next October...

OTHER VEHICLES
After I did the important vehicles I checked out some SUVs for the wife (they had short 15 min lines and it was already after 5pm):

RX400h - very quick, comfortable, nice and smooth CVT transmission, less dive/roll than RX330 (perhaps due to extra weight and lower CG). Nice but pricey vehicle.

GX470 with Sport (includes KDSS) - I have driven non-KDSS GX470s on the road and I found the KDSS here to be amazing. I hammered this huge bus like you wouldn't believe - threw it very hard into every corner. Much less roll and dive than I expected and the smooth torquey V8 was a perfect match for the transmission - always seemed to be in the right gear and never any real drama - also quiet at all times. Also accelerates fast enough for something of this size and weight. Brilliant vehicle in extremis and definitely on the list to replace my wife's Acura MDX in the next 4 months.

RX330 - after the surprising GX470 I had high hopes for this too. Sadly I was very disappointed. The sound and fury was there (very un-Lexus-like), but perhaps not the implied acceleration. Also the transmission would change up way too early all the time - I thought I spent half the time waiting for it to change down just after it changed up unneccessarily - I know I should have left it in 2nd instead of D but then I didn't do that for any other car. Finally it rolled enought to make one seasick - much more than RX400h or GX470. Most of these negatives will not be noticed on the road (especially by the wife) but it is probably off the shopping list.

SUMMARY
Everyone should get an IS350 without PCS if finances allow.
Most will be very happy with the IS250 AWD - lots of fun. The IS250 RWD might be even better/quicker.
Get a GX470 with KDSS if one needs a large SUV for about $50k.
I think my '99 RX300 drove better than the current RX330 even though the new model is vastly more luxurious.
Old 09-18-05, 07:22 AM
savant17
Driver School Candidate

I was at Taste of Lexus on 9/17 also. cars i drove:

IS 250 AWD - Was very smooth. Handled well. Seemed to have enough power.

BMW 330i - This car felt good. Drove it hard and it stuck to the ground nicely.

IS 350 - Faster than the 330i. A bit shaky when hitting it hard on turns. Not sure if it was VDIM kicking in. but fast!!!

BMW 530i - Slow. boring. horrible. RX330 I drove felt better

GS300 - Interior felt the best out of all the cars I drove. Handled great and good power.
Old 09-18-05, 07:56 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

Great posts on your first hand experience. Thanks for the insight.

But what about the look of the car? Is the look of the rear-end OK?
Old 09-18-05, 08:40 AM
Agni88
Driver

Originally Posted by savant17
I was at Taste of Lexus on 9/17 also. cars i drove:

IS 250 AWD - Was very smooth. Handled well. Seemed to have enough power.

BMW 330i - This car felt good. Drove it hard and it stuck to the ground nicely.

IS 350 - Faster than the 330i. A bit shaky when hitting it hard on turns. Not sure if it was VDIM kicking in. but fast!!!

BMW 530i - Slow. boring. horrible. RX330 I drove felt better

GS300 - Interior felt the best out of all the cars I drove. Handled great and good power.
Got any pics?
Old 09-18-05, 10:08 AM
vyb2
Driver School Candidate

How was the setup at the event? It seems similar to the General Motors driving event where they make you pre-register saying that seats are limited just to find out it really isnt and a few 10's of thousands people show up and you have to wait in long lines just to drive a car. I was expecting this event to be more exclusive and limited like the Bmw Ultimate driving event. In that event you register and they give you a time slot, and its guaranted that you will have your 1hr-1.5 hour driving experience. I think each time slot was limited to about 20 people per slot so there was no wait in line. Then they have a structured autocross event where you go through 3 cars back to back .

I am asking this because when I went to register for the event yesterday and I noticed online that almost all the early in the day slots were full so I registered for one later in the day(but also noticed that it would let me check over a full time slot??). If I come that late by your description it seems like I will not have that much time to test the cars I want based on the wait. So is this event just a come and go in the gate, register and wait your turn to drive the cars? If so I will just arrive much earlier.

Where there any other car companies cars there except for Bmw and Lexus, like Audi or Infiniti?

Last edited by vyb2; 09-18-05 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-18-05, 12:13 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was also at the Taste of Lexus yesterday alot of fun, however I must say there was no point in registering online.

I drove the IS 250 AWD, RX 400h(twice), GX 470(this SUV is really great I am in love with it now), RX 330. I really wanted to check out the IS 350 but the line was crazy long. Overall had a good time, the food was great too...!
Old 09-18-05, 02:24 PM
isdsms
Driver

Smooth goings at a Taste of Lexus today. it was well organized and ran smoothly. The IS is much nicer in person than in pics. I was always concerned about the rear, but would have to say now that is is probably the nicest feature of the car. In my opinion, a cleaner look than the GS.

Last edited by isdsms; 09-18-05 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 04:10 PM
Jatche1
Driver School Candidate

Default Impressions of the IS

I just got back from attending the "Taste of Lexus" event in NY. It was the first opportunity for a chance to drive the new IS, and Lexus made sure to have the 330i at the event as well. I drove the IS250, IS350 and 330i (no 325i at the event). It was my first experience with driving the new 3.

The new IS is nice looking from the exterior with very smooth lines. The 330i is noticably more aggressive in its styling, and looks substantially larger than the IS from the outside.

Inside, the IS is soft and cushy, with leather seats that are amongst the most comfortable I have sat it. The controls are user-friendly, and sound system was great. One thing I didnt like about the interior was the positioning of the seat and instrument cluster. I felt the gauges were somewhat distant and positioned too low, and I had a hard time finding the right seating position.

The IS350 is definately quicker than the 250, as the car literally flys when you step on the gas. While the car has great pick up, and accelerates smoothly, it quickly loses its composure in the turns, with steering that feels quite loose and sloppy. If you're looking for a car quick off the line, and great for highway cruising, you would probably love the IS350. It's comfortable, pretty and quick, if not very involving from an interior design/handling standpoint.

After driving both IS models, I drove the 330i. First off, the exhaust note on the 330 is deep and throaty when compared to the almost silent IS models. A guy I spoke to said he has a 330i and the exhaust on his car is noticably deeper than the one at the event. Sounds like Lexus may have tampered with it a little to make the car seem more bland.

The interior of the 330i is more stark looking than that of the IS, but the quality of the materials is a notch above the Lexus. The BMW's interior feels much more substantial and solid. While the seats in the Lexus were more comfortable, the dash looked a bit cheaper than that of the BMW.

The BMW didnt have the pick up of the IS 350, but then again I dont know if Lexus might have done something to mellow out the 330 before the event. As I havent driven one before, I cant say. It was quick, but not nearly as fast as the 350.

The 330i's handling is in a completely different league than that of the IS. When driving the 330i, you feel like the car is an extension of you. The sloppiness of the IS in curves wasnt apparent at all in the bimmer.

In conclusion, I would say in my opinion I came away loving the way the 330i looked and drove. It's definately an exciting car. The Lexus is a really nice car for the money, but it seems like Lexus kept the dynamics of the car pretty bland to appeal to the masses. I bet they'll sell tons of them.
Old 09-18-05, 05:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatche1
I just got back from attending the "Taste of Lexus" event in NY. It was the first opportunity for a chance to drive the new IS, and Lexus made sure to have the 330i at the event as well. I drove the IS250, IS350 and 330i (no 325i at the event). It was my first experience with driving the new 3.

The new IS is nice looking from the exterior with very smooth lines. The 330i is noticably more aggressive in its styling, and looks substantially larger than the IS from the outside.

Inside, the IS is soft and cushy, with leather seats that are amongst the most comfortable I have sat it. The controls are user-friendly, and sound system was great. One thing I didnt like about the interior was the positioning of the seat and instrument cluster. I felt the gauges were somewhat distant and positioned too low, and I had a hard time finding the right seating position.

The IS350 is definately quicker than the 250, as the car literally flys when you step on the gas. While the car has great pick up, and accelerates smoothly, it quickly loses its composure in the turns, with steering that feels quite loose and sloppy. If you're looking for a car quick off the line, and great for highway cruising, you would probably love the IS350. It's comfortable, pretty and quick, if not very involving from an interior design/handling standpoint.

After driving both IS models, I drove the 330i. First off, the exhaust note on the 330 is deep and throaty when compared to the almost silent IS models. A guy I spoke to said he has a 330i and the exhaust on his car is noticably deeper than the one at the event. Sounds like Lexus may have tampered with it a little to make the car seem more bland.

The interior of the 330i is more stark looking than that of the IS, but the quality of the materials is a notch above the Lexus. The BMW's interior feels much more substantial and solid. While the seats in the Lexus were more comfortable, the dash looked a bit cheaper than that of the BMW.

The BMW didnt have the pick up of the IS 350, but then again I dont know if Lexus might have done something to mellow out the 330 before the event. As I havent driven one before, I cant say. It was quick, but not nearly as fast as the 350.

The 330i's handling is in a completely different league than that of the IS. When driving the 330i, you feel like the car is an extension of you. The sloppiness of the IS in curves wasnt apparent at all in the bimmer.

In conclusion, I would say in my opinion I came away loving the way the 330i looked and drove. It's definately an exciting car. The Lexus is a really nice car for the money, but it seems like Lexus kept the dynamics of the car pretty bland to appeal to the masses. I bet they'll sell tons of them.
lol, you felt BMW had better materials than Lexus (how?) and then that BMW handled much better yet Lexus might have had tampered with speed of BMW and with exaust sound? Wouldnt it be easier to simply not get sport package BMW? :-).

i just find it funny that any low points of BMW drive you quickly managed to contribute to Lexus "tampering"...

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus this weekend!