IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

live chat with bob carter, gm of lexus about new IS -- 9/29 6-7 PST

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 09:56 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default live chat with bob carter, gm of lexus about new IS -- 9/29 6-7 PST

Thought some of you may like to see this. Someone make sure to ask him why they don't have the idrive like ipod compatability for me

From Edmunds.com

Join in on the live chat with Bob Carter about the all-new 2006 Lexus IS. The IS will be arriving this fall, completely redesigned and exuding performance with two available models, the 2006 IS 350 and IS 250. The top-of-the-line IS 350 boasts a 3.5-liter V6 engine that generates 306 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. The IS 250 has an energetic 2.5-liter engine that packs 204 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque. You may want to know more about the engine's race-inspired push-button start, or it's newly designed fuel-injection system and dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i). Or perhaps its available voice-activated DVD navigation system. This is your opportunity to ask questions just like this to the Lexus General Manager, Bob Carter.

September 29, 2005
6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat...hat092905.html
Old 09-27-05, 09:12 AM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

I plan on participating in the live chat with Bob Carter on Thursday night. I'm hoping we get an official date when pricing will be announced.

I heard Oct 11, 2005, then Oct 3rd, but Bob Carter himself said several months ago that pricing would be announced in September, 2005.

Besides pricing, I don't really have any questions that have not been answered, thanks to Club Lexus.
Old 09-27-05, 09:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I want to know if he can give good, solid answers to these questions : if & when there will be both a coupe & a hardtop convertible version of the IS350, & whether a 6 speed manual will be offered eventually.
Old 09-27-05, 09:53 AM
ilitig8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I want to know if he can give good, solid answers to these questions : if & when there will be both a coupe & a hardtop convertible version of the IS350, & whether a 6 speed manual will be offered eventually.
I think the question is not IF he can but will he. My guess is the best you will do is some vague "we are considering it" or " will will watch the market and consider these if market factors dictate". If they were ready to confirm any of these you would have probably seen some more definative answer in the press already.
Old 09-27-05, 10:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ilitig8
My guess is the best you will do is some vague "we are considering it" or " will will watch the market and consider these if market factors dictate"
That's exactly the kind of non-answers the "ask the expert " Japanese engineer said in caranddriver.com when asked the same questions. I guess it's a waste of time to even participate in the chat for me then . . .
Old 09-27-05, 03:22 PM
ilitig8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmethySC
That's exactly the kind of non-answers the "ask the expert " Japanese engineer said in caranddriver.com when asked the same questions. I guess it's a waste of time to even participate in the chat for me then . . .
I think the problem with these types of "talks" is that the car companies are generally tight with information and most internet "forum heads", like I assume most of us are, know far more in 30 minutes of internet searching than they will ever be willing to give out. These "ain't never gonna be" press releases where they give out any big scoop, just another chance to give out the basics that are already out there.
Old 09-27-05, 03:49 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ilitig8
I think the problem with these types of "talks" is that the car companies are generally tight with information and most internet "forum heads", like I assume most of us are, know far more in 30 minutes of internet searching than they will ever be willing to give out. These "ain't never gonna be" press releases where they give out any big scoop, just another chance to give out the basics that are already out there.
ya, and while straight answers would be nice, I cant really say I blame em. I mean think about it, nothing is really set in stone until the car is near or into the production phase. If he said one way or the other, it would be posted all over the internet. Then, it would be those same people crying all over the internet if whatever feature he said they were putting out didn't actually make it into production

I would have to disagree about the interview with the engineer or designer or whoever he was though. Really, if anything, he said too much, especially when he was talking about "research that they've done", which he probably knows very little about. (when he was talking about how theyve researched their target market and how people wouldn't be interested in a M/T.) After all, the IS is both a luxury AND a sport coupe, and I think we can pretty much all agree that there is a huge market of people that would love a M/T in a luxury car (I would go as far to say that 85% of people on this forum would prefer a manual IS350 over the auto.), and another huge market of people who won't even consider buying a car without a M/T for the sport factor. (He may have been dodging other questions, but that was the only thing that stuck in my mind, and after reading that I was just thinking about how this guy has said way too much because I really dont think he's very educated on the matter.)
Old 09-27-05, 07:45 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

when i went to the site...i got .... We're sorry, the Special Event Chat Room chat room is now closed....so if some one can post the highlights of the chat ...id be greatfull
Old 09-27-05, 08:47 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by nehal51086
when i went to the site...i got .... We're sorry, the Special Event Chat Room chat room is now closed....so if some one can post the highlights of the chat ...id be greatfull
IT HASN'T TAKE PLACE YET! SEPT 29.
Old 09-28-05, 02:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Just a bump, got an invite from Edmunds for our members

Dear fellow Lexus enthusiast,

Lexus and Edmunds.com have teamed up and would like to extend an invitation to your Club and Site members to a Live Chat Event with Bob Carter about the all-new 2006 Lexus IS. Mr. Carter will be chatting and taking question on the 2006 IS 350 and IS 250.

WHEN: Thursday - September 29, 2005 9pm ET/6pm PT
WHERE: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat...hat092905.html <http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/lexusischat092905.html>

No registration is required, no personal information will be asked. Simply click on the "Chat Now" link on the page and type in a temporary name for the chat, that's it. Submit questions during the chat to Mr. Carter and enjoy the company of fellow enthusiasts for this one-hour event.

As a club / site owner, we hope that you post this invitation on your site or in your club email list. We hope that your members and site visitors enjoy this special treat that Lexus is giving to all enthusiasts online.
Old 09-29-05, 01:44 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone if the transcript of the chat will be posted on edmunds.com after the chat is done? I might not make it home in time to participate in the live chat.

On that note can someone ask what the typical options that will be included on each of the 4 configurations (i.e. IS250 RWD manual, IS250 RWD automatic, IS250 AWD and IS350). I'd like to get an idea of what options will be typically found on each configuration. Obviously everyone is assuming that the IS350 will be loaded but with the various options and option packages, I'm curious to hear how they are typically equipped. Thanks in advance if I don't get to ask this myself.
Old 09-29-05, 04:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

i would ask him if he drove IS220d and what did he think of it...
Old 09-29-05, 07:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The chat just ended. It was very lame, no real useful information. He only seemed to answer the "soft" questions, to which most of us already knew the answers. The only REAL info was the official launch date of October 17.

Transcript is suppose to be available here...

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/transcripts/
Old 09-29-05, 07:23 PM
pliesj
Driver School Candidate

Indeed. I submitted the following question early in the chat and he never answered it:

In Road & Track magazine’s recent road test of the IS350 they noted that “the air conditioning struggled mightily above 100 degrees.” As a potential buyer living in Texas this concerns me. Can you assure me that the AC has not been undersized for hot U.S. climates?

I also submitted this same question to the Lexus engineer Q&A on the Car and Driver board several weeks ago. He never answered it either. I guess Lexus is not interested in answering it. Oh well, I guess I will not buy anytime soon but wait for other early adopters to figure out if there is a problem.
Old 09-29-05, 09:30 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with TimbolS. I left a bar next to my office to go back to my office and participate in the chat and I asked 3 questions and none of them got answered. I'm guessing the moderator filtered them out because I was referencing information about the specs and options from the sticky thread posted by flipside909. I can't believe I wasted my time leaving the bar to participate in this chat. People were asking the dumbest questions and the moderator let those pass through. As an example, someone asked Bob Carter what color was his IS? No offense to Bob Carter but WHO CARES!!!!! I know it's nice to be friendly to him for spending the time to answer our questions but I DON'T NEED TO KNOW WHAT COLOR HIS CAR IS!!! Most of the questions people asked could have been answered by reading the sticky threads on here or any of the other Lexus websites. Most of us wanted questions answered that can't be answered from the information posted all over the internet.

Quick Reply: live chat with bob carter, gm of lexus about new IS -- 9/29 6-7 PST