IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS ipod integration vs new 5 series ipod integration?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 06:29 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New IS ipod integration vs new 5 series ipod integration?

Hey guys,

Question for those who know, or have seen the car in person.

So my brothers got a new 5 series. He was tellin me that his ipod is completely integrated with his car (I believe it's through the I-drive technology?). Anyways, when he plugs his ipod in, he can actually navigate through the ipods different folders and control the ipod on the nav screen. (Apparently his car has a trackball near where the center console is to navigate the nav screen, sounds pretty rad.) So, I am wondering is the IS going to have a similar, on screen navigation integration, or is it just going to be like having an aux cable plugged into your ipod from your deck. (Which I have now in my SC, hooked up to my alpine screen. It makes for some serious near death situations trying to navigate through that thing while I'm driving)

And don't tell me to do a search, I already tried :P
Old 09-12-05, 06:56 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for now, the IS can only link up with the ipod through an AUX input which means that you'll have to navigate through ipod itself.
Old 09-12-05, 07:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by the_ez_rhino
Hey guys,

Question for those who know, or have seen the car in person.

So my brothers got a new 5 series. He was tellin me that his ipod is completely integrated with his car (I believe it's through the I-drive technology?). Anyways, when he plugs his ipod in, he can actually navigate through the ipods different folders and control the ipod on the nav screen. (Apparently his car has a trackball near where the center console is to navigate the nav screen, sounds pretty rad.) So, I am wondering is the IS going to have a similar, on screen navigation integration, or is it just going to be like having an aux cable plugged into your ipod from your deck. (Which I have now in my SC, hooked up to my alpine screen. It makes for some serious near death situations trying to navigate through that thing while I'm driving)

And don't tell me to do a search, I already tried :P
At this time, iPod and any other mp3 player and etc will still need to be controlled from that unit. Unfortunately, there is no interface on the ML system to control the iPod remotely. It only features a universal AUX input. The only Toyota vehicle capable of controlling iPod from the factory unit would be in the Scion vehicles currently.
Old 09-12-05, 09:45 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not exactly sure how that would work. It would have to be a manufacturer-specific connector, since an aux mini jack is audio-only.
Old 09-13-05, 12:35 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BMW and ipod rock

The bimmer definitely is sweet in its ipod integration and i was hoping lexus would do the same thing - but its just a stereo plug - and from what i can tell, its in the glove box. so basically, you have to keep the ipod in the glove box, where i doubt you can see it and im sure its not all that convenient to access. better make sure that you have a lot of good playlists made for the drive! its better than nothing though, no more goofy tape player plug!!! i'm sure eventually they will make a harness that you can have installed that links up with the back of your stock stereo that will allow you to control the ipod through the stereo. there are some out there now from a couple of different makers. i would think it would be even easier to make one for the new is since it has an open aux channel dedicated to a device such as this. i don't think i'll spend the dough to get the upgrade - we'll just have to see if the is configuration annoys me or not!
Old 09-13-05, 03:06 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
The bimmer definitely is sweet in its ipod integration and i was hoping lexus would do the same thing - but its just a stereo plug - and from what i can tell, its in the glove box. so basically, you have to keep the ipod in the glove box, where i doubt you can see it and im sure its not all that convenient to access. better make sure that you have a lot of good playlists made for the drive! its better than nothing though, no more goofy tape player plug!!!!
Actually, the auxillary jack in the Lexus is in the arm rest.
Old 09-13-05, 03:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
i was hoping lexus would do the same thing - but its just a stereo plug - and from what i can tell, its in the glove box. so basically, you have to keep the ipod in the glove box, where i doubt you can see it and im sure its not all that convenient to access.
You must not be reading alot of the info we're giving out. Please see the last link on my signature below...

Old 09-13-05, 03:44 PM
biker
Lead Lap

At this point it seems like Acura will soon have the best integration - to include voice recognition - your hands don't even have to leave the wheel.
It's mostly a software issue - probably something that will be available in IS v2.0.
Old 09-13-05, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
At this point it seems like Acura will soon have the best integration - to include voice recognition - your hands don't even have to leave the wheel.
It's mostly a software issue - probably something that will be available in IS v2.0.
how can it be an software issue where there isnt any hardware for it? :-).
Old 09-13-05, 04:44 PM
pissout
Driver School Candidate

when u connect ipod through AUX...how does it sound?? is it same as CD player or...worse???
Old 09-13-05, 05:20 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pissout
when u connect ipod through AUX...how does it sound?? is it same as CD player or...worse???
iPod supports only formats with lossful data compression, so it is impossible for it to sound as good as a CD player, but unless you have really good ears you most likely won't be able to tell at all.
Old 09-13-05, 05:26 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Default sorry...i misstated

Originally Posted by MR LEX
Actually, the auxillary jack in the Lexus is in the arm rest.
i meant center console, not glovebox....hands typing faster than thinking!
Old 09-13-05, 05:30 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flipside909
You must not be reading alot of the info we're giving out. Please see the last link on my signature below...

trust me, doing plenty of reading, just made a mistake...was thinking center console, typed glove box....either way, its not accessible easily imo and definitely not as good as bmw's integration. i understant that lexus may have not wanted to put all the eggs in one basket by committing to ONLY ipod, but I HAVE AN IPOD and its all about me! i'll be making more playlists...no problemo, better than nothing.
Old 09-13-05, 08:08 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Well thank goodness Lexus was thinking of me. I don't own an iPod and never will. I have a Creative Zen Micro Mp3 Player and love it, had it for 9 months, works & looks better than an ipod, I used it for recording & has a built in FM tuner.

So I for one am glad Lexus didn't bow only to the iPod, it's about me too.
Old 09-13-05, 09:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by XanaduSC

So I for one am glad Lexus didn't bow only to the iPod, it's about me too.
Yeah I agree with you on that sentiment. There are times I would want to plug in my laptop in or other audio accessories. It's nice to have the flexibility.

Quick Reply: New IS ipod integration vs new 5 series ipod integration?