IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS ipod integration vs new 5 series ipod integration?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 04:42 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how can it be an software issue where there isnt any hardware for it? :-).
I said mostly software. I'd venture to guess that fixing the hardware is easier than Lexus geting together with Apple and geting the software right (which is what Acura had to do).
Old 09-14-05, 10:04 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Well thank goodness Lexus was thinking of me. I don't own an iPod and never will. I have a Creative Zen Micro Mp3 Player and love it, had it for 9 months, works & looks better than an ipod, I used it for recording & has a built in FM tuner.

So I for one am glad Lexus didn't bow only to the iPod, it's about me too.
Yeah, until the day that a common protocol for portable music player communication is established so that head units can communicate with portable music players of any brand wirelessly, I'm not impressed just yet.
Old 09-14-05, 10:10 AM
cooney
Rookie

Toyota is working with Apple -- the Scion has integrated iPod support.

The iPod does support non-lossy recording, either totally non-compressed or "Apple Lossless Coding" (about 2:1 compression), which should sound as good as CD. That said, most of the time (including on songs downloaded from Apple) there is a lot of compression, which will degrade quality.

I think having an AUX audio input in the center console is a nice standard feature. But I would pay extra for a fully-integrated iPod setup in the glove box. This is how Mercedes does it. That allows you to control the iPod from the radio/CD player and keeps the iPod locked up -- I worry that I'd forget to take it out of the center console compartment when I valet park the car.
Old 09-14-05, 10:23 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cooney
The iPod does support non-lossy recording, either totally non-compressed or "Apple Lossless Coding" (about 2:1 compression), which should sound as good as CD.
You're right. I totally forgot Apple started offering support for lossless compression since gen-3 iPod or so, and has always supported the WAV format I think. So yeah, it's gonna cost a lot more storage space, but the iPod should be able to play music with CD quality.
I think having an AUX audio input in the center console is a nice standard feature. But I would pay extra for a fully-integrated iPod setup in the glove box. This is how Mercedes does it. That allows you to control the iPod from the radio/CD player and keeps the iPod locked up -- I worry that I'd forget to take it out of the center console compartment when I valet park the car.
That's a thoughtful touch from MB!! I surely will need that feature, being as forgetful as I am.
Old 09-14-05, 05:49 PM
cooney
Rookie

Ryan, do you happen to remember whether or not the center console compartment has a lock? Thanks.
Old 09-14-05, 05:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
I said mostly software. I'd venture to guess that fixing the hardware is easier than Lexus geting together with Apple and geting the software right (which is what Acura had to do).
not through aux in, which has no way of doing what you suggest. they would have to make special connector/hardware to actually connect ipod directly to the audio system as an tuner.
Old 09-14-05, 06:08 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

I agree, I think its smarter that lexus went with something universal.

But, I hope they work with aftermarket companies more so that we can have more cheap aftermarket accessories that plug and play, and control the ipod. The only one that worked for the current IS costs more than the ipod itself!
Old 09-14-05, 06:17 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
not through aux in, which has no way of doing what you suggest. they would have to make special connector/hardware to actually connect ipod directly to the audio system as an tuner.
Don't you think Acura faced this problem, yet they are able to offer it in a car even cheaper than the IS. Considering the demographics the IS is aimed at and what the competition offers, ipod integration can't be too far away.

People make such a big deal of the keyless entry and start button on the IS. A 14K Yaris will have that standard also. Lots of trickle down stuff.
Old 09-15-05, 05:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Don't you think Acura faced this problem, yet they are able to offer it in a car even cheaper than the IS. Considering the demographics the IS is aimed at and what the competition offers, ipod integration can't be too far away.

People make such a big deal of the keyless entry and start button on the IS. A 14K Yaris will have that standard also. Lots of trickle down stuff.
huh? Yaris will not have smart entry standard, first of all... Probably will only be on most expensive models. US Yaris will not have that option at all, at any price.

As to the AUX IN - all I am saying is that hardware is NOT there right now. Sure, they could make it happen but right now, it is not there, it does not exist, it is not part of the car, etc, etc. I am sure there are suppliers that have the interface done for it (Pioneer for one does and it is the brand featured in IS), but right now hardware simply does not exist in the IS. So it would have to be added.

And actually, Smart Entry is one of the coolest things you can have in the car, for me it outdones all other gadgets by far. I am glad they are making it standard or optional on many of their new cars, it is an great selling feature (and $500 option on BMW).
Old 09-22-05, 09:19 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Originally Posted by knihc2008
as for now, the IS can only link up with the ipod through an AUX input which means that you'll have to navigate through ipod itself.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo ANGRY!!!!!!

I just purchased a 2006 GS430....WHY couldnt Lexus put an AUX input in it also??? Bastids!!!!!

The AUX input piece cost less than 5 bucks at radio shack. Purchased in volume from manufacturer would prolly make these things cost 50 cents a pop. I bought a 60 grand car and they couldnt include this?? I am soooooooooooooo disappointed in Lexus for this. They KNOW everyones using some kind of mp3 player these days. I really wonder what was the reason to NOT include an AUX input in the 06 GS...or did some dummy there forget??

Dont get me wrong. I love the car. I will be a repeat customer with Lexus because overall I feel they give me the best bang for MY buck. I love the build, quality, finish, etc....but this one little aux input would have made it the PERFECT car for me. I live in NYC so those FM transmitters suck here....nothing but static. Tape adapters (what i have to live with) are retarded and sound quality from them sucks.
Old 09-23-05, 06:05 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlkBuzzard
II just purchased a 2006 GS430....WHY couldnt Lexus put an AUX input in it also??? Bastids!!!!!

Cause the car was designed 2+ years ago when the ipod wasn't such a big deal yet.
Old 09-24-05, 10:27 AM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Cause the car was designed 2+ years ago when the ipod wasn't such a big deal yet.
No offense but an AUX input is not about JUST ipods. Two years ago mp3 players were huge. Maybe you forgot about napster? Please dont make excuses for Lexus. ANd if you do, then please come up with something better than that.

Anyway I dont want to turn this into a debate. Peace.
Old 09-24-05, 01:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BlkBuzzard
No offense but an AUX input is not about JUST ipods. Two years ago mp3 players were huge. Maybe you forgot about napster? Please dont make excuses for Lexus. ANd if you do, then please come up with something better than that.

Anyway I dont want to turn this into a debate. Peace.
lot of anger in there, eh? -)... I am sure some new MY GS will have it...