IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oct Car & Driver Comparison (0-60 in 5.1 seconds)#1 330, #2 IS 350// Scans pg 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 07:26 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Oct Car & Driver Comparison (0-60 in 5.1 seconds)#1 330, #2 IS 350// Scans pg 6

The Oct issue of C&D has a $35k sports sedan comparison with BMW 330i at #1, followed by the IS350 at #2, then Infiniti G35, Acura TL, Audi A4, Cadillac CTS, Volvo S60R and Saab 9-2. I was excited to see that although the IS trailed the bimmer by 1 point (due mostly to poor rear seat room/comfort), it was by far the fastest in all the acceleration and braking tests. How about 0-60 in 5.1 (the next quickest were TL and G35 at 5.9), and 1/4 mile in less than 14 s at 104 mph--all this with a no-brainer auto tranny (no danger of stalling the engine or frying the clutch). Even the 5-60 rolling start clocked in at 5.3. All but the IS and A4 used manual trans. The only area the IS did not do as well was slalom and cornering, due to the undefeatable stability control. Hopefully these numbers reflect the production run and not some pre-production anomaly.

Last edited by jlin101; 08-28-05 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-28-05, 07:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jlin101
The Oct issue of C&D has a $35k sports sedan comparison with 330i at #1, followed by IS350 at #2, then G35, TL, CTS, S60R and Saab. I was excited to see that although the IS trailed the bimmer by 1 point (due mostly to poor rear seat room/comfort), it was by far the fastest in all the acceleration and braking tests. How about 0-60 in 5.1 (the next quickest were TL and G35 at 5.9), and 1/4 mile in less than 14 s at 104 mph--all this with a no-brainer auto tranny (no danger of stalling the engine or frying the clutch). Even the 5-60 rolling start clocked in at 5.3. The only area the IS did not do as well was slalom and cornering, due to the undefeatable stability control. Hopefully these numbers reflect the production run and not some pre-production anomaly.
My God, 5.1 seconds!!! That is FLYING!! Clearly the fastest stock Lexus ever.

#2 to a 330 is compliment, between bias and it being a 3 (which means a fabulous car), Teh IS 350 placing 2nd says tons.

Very sad to see a special edition S60R finish in the rear like that. I like that car.
Old 08-28-05, 07:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The Oct issue of C&D has a $35k sports sedan comparison with 330i at #1, followed by IS350 at #2, then G35, TL, CTS, S60R and Saab. I was excited to see that although the IS trailed the bimmer by 1 point (due mostly to poor rear seat room/comfort), it was by far the fastest in all the acceleration and braking tests. How about 0-60 in 5.1 (the next quickest were TL and G35 at 5.9), and 1/4 mile in less than 14 s at 104 mph--all this with a no-brainer auto tranny (no danger of stalling the engine or frying the clutch). Even the 5-60 rolling start clocked in at 5.3. The only area the IS did not do as well was slalom and cornering, due to the undefeatable stability control. Hopefully these numbers reflect the production run and not some pre-production anomaly.
Car & Driver usually get the fastest 0-60 / 1/4 mile times among the magazines, 5.1 second sounds great ( you happy now Ryan ? Here's the proof I'm looking for )

Did they test the 330i & the G35 with the automatic transmission too in this test ? Car & Driver tested quicker 0-60 for these 2 models with 6MT at around 5.6 seconds before.

Trailing the 330i by 1 point due to rear seat comfort, I'm not concerned about that Had they put in an off switch for the VDIM, the IS350 would have owned all . . .
Old 08-28-05, 08:20 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

The numbers for the 330i were from an earlier test because the bimmer developed major mechanical problems during the comparison--so much for the Ultimate Drinving Machine and German engineering. I was impressed by the significant lead the IS had over the manual 330i, G35 and TL. The top-gear acceleration numbers had a even larger margin. It appears Lexus has gone with MB's AMG formula--big hp with a smooth-shifting auto tranny=quick acceleration. Just stomp and go!

On second reading, it appears only the braking number of the BMW is from a previous test (the ABS malfunctioned during this test) ; so the acceleration numbers are directly comparable.

Last edited by jlin101; 09-14-05 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-28-05, 08:25 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

This is awesome news.
Old 08-28-05, 08:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A measly single point!!!

I think the Lexus should still be #1 because after all of its downfalls (auto tranny, heavy weight, VDIM intrusiveness, etc), it still manages to be on top of the game. Perhaps if Lexus addresses these concerns with a future coupe/convertible, it will truly be the ultimate driving machine!
Old 08-28-05, 08:48 AM
LexFather

The numbers for the 330i were from an earlier test because the bimmer developed major mechanical problems during the comparison--so much for the Ultimate Drinving Machine and German engineering. I was impressed by the significant lead the IS had over the manual 330i, G35 and TL. The top-gear acceleration numbers had a even larger margin. It appears Lexus has gone with MB's AMG formula--big hp with a smooth-shifting auto tranny=quick acceleration. Just stomp and go!
the 330 broke DOWN and that had no negative effect on the ratings?
Old 08-28-05, 08:51 AM
Agni88
Driver

CD must have gotten a busted up 330i, cuz the NEW BMWs dont break down as much as they used to, BMW now makes some of the best quility cars(they learned their lesson).

That said, I think that the IS350 is going to take sales away from TL and G35 not so much 330i. Cuz you really cant beat the "ultimate driving machine" the IS is too quiet and boring as said by Edmunds.com and other reviews.
Old 08-28-05, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Agni88
CD must have gotten a busted up 330i, cuz the NEW BMWs dont break down as much as they used to, BMW now makes some of the best quility cars(they learned their lesson).

That said, I think that the IS350 is going to take sales away from TL and G35 not so much 330i. Cuz you really cant beat the "ultimate driving machine" the IS is too quiet and boring as said by Edmunds.com and other reviews.
BMW fixed the quality? Uhh, no.
IS is too quiet and boring? Uhh, no.

It is quieter and doesn't offer a manual. That is not to be confused with boring. The IS is going to take sales from EVERYONE, no one is immune to it.
Old 08-28-05, 09:06 AM
Agni88
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW fixed the quality? Uhh, no.
IS is too quiet and boring? Uhh, no.

It is quieter and doesn't offer a manual. That is not to be confused with boring. The IS is going to take sales from EVERYONE, no one is immune to it.
The 2006 redesigned models like the 7er and the updated 5er, and offcourse the 3er do not have any serious problems like the last years. Only minor quirks that are easly fixed by the dealer. Also BMW gives 4 year free maintenince. If you look at ratings they usually go Lexus, Jag, BMW, MB. So i dont see how u think BMW is bad quility...its one of the top 3 best quility.

It is quiter and more boring(ok fine mayb im biased cuz i hate Autos) than the 3 series...... If you want to buy a car that is refined and smooth, go for an IS, if u want a drivers car go for the 330i

what edmunds.com said:
"But in the End
In fact, if you were to ask us, "What's the most advanced, refined and confident sport sedan under $40,000 today?" we'd very likely tell you it's the Lexus IS 350. And if you then asked us, "Which modern sport sedan would you most like to own and drive?" we'd tell you "The BMW 3 Series.

A very solid, capable and desirable luxury sedan the IS 350 is. And if you simply focus on acceleration numbers, you could even say it's "the new standard of class-leading performance." Now, where are the BMW keys?"

"http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=106607"

I'm hoping the upcomming Taste of Lexus will help me make up my mind on which to buy

Last edited by Agni88; 08-28-05 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-28-05, 09:18 AM
LexFather

The 2006 redesigned models like the 7er and the updated 5er, and offcourse the 3er do not have any serious problems like the last years. Only minor quirks that are easly fixed by the dealer. Also BMW gives 4 year free maintenince. If you look at ratings they usually go Lexus, Jag, BMW, MB. So i dont see how u think BMW is bad quility...its one of the top 3 best quility.

It is quiter and more boring(ok fine mayb im biased cuz i hate Autos) than the 3 series...... If you want to buy a car that is refined and smooth, go for an IS, if u want a drivers car go for the 330i

what edmunds.com said:
"But in the End
In fact, if you were to ask us, "What's the most advanced, refined and confident sport sedan under $40,000 today?" we'd very likely tell you it's the Lexus IS 350. And if you then asked us, "Which modern sport sedan would you most like to own and drive?" we'd tell you "The BMW 3 Series.

A very solid, capable and desirable luxury sedan the IS 350 is. And if you simply focus on acceleration numbers, you could even say it's "the new standard of class-leading performance." Now, where are the BMW keys?"

"http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=106607"
I am not going to debate what people think of the car. That is their opinion. I will debate your claim BMW is near tops with reliability.

BMW is in the tops in UNreliablity

Don't get me wrong, I love BMWs.
Old 08-28-05, 09:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The Oct issue of C&D has a $35k sports sedan comparison with BMW 330i at #1, followed by the IS350 at #2, then Infiniti G35, Acura TL, Audi A4, Cadillac CTS, Volvo S60R and Saab 9-2. I was excited to see that although the IS trailed the bimmer by 1 point (due mostly to poor rear seat room/comfort), it was by far the fastest in all the acceleration and braking tests. How about 0-60 in 5.1 (the next quickest were TL and G35 at 5.9), and 1/4 mile in less than 14 s at 104 mph--all this with a no-brainer auto tranny (no danger of stalling the engine or frying the clutch). Even the 5-60 rolling start clocked in at 5.3. All but the IS and A4 used manual trans. The only area the IS did not do as well was slalom and cornering, due to the undefeatable stability control. Hopefully these numbers reflect the production run and not some pre-production anomaly.
Hey Andrew...now let's really talk. 5.1 seconds!

Hey Mike, are you ready to drive it this coming Wednesday?
Old 08-28-05, 09:26 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I'd rather have a quiet car so I can enjoy the great audio system. The abscence of a manul does not, in my mind, detract the IS from its sports appeal. Not that many people actually buy old-fashion stick-and-clutch manuals these days--there are more M3's and Ferrari's with SMG's than real manuals. As automatics get more efficient and the performance gap narrows, the advantage of a manual diminishes (how many people regularly drop the clutch in their own cars?). I still remember the outcry from "manyly enthusiasts" when ABS first came out in the 80's.
Old 08-28-05, 09:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

New BMW's dont' break down? So explain why alot of new 5 series owners are having quality problems with their car? My co-worker's new 530i power steering rack had to be replaced under warranty due to mechanical failure.

Rules are made to be broken and bars are supposed to be raised. The IS350 is defintely a lively car with a very powerful motor and a very throaty exhaust. Quiet? when you're cruising at normal speed yes. Mash the throttle...whole different story. I should know....I drove it 2 weeks ago...and even through the lot of a BMW dealership. LOL. Check it out on the front page HERE
Old 08-28-05, 09:39 AM
Order66
Rookie

I still prefer to let BMW win tests like these. I really don't want Lexus to increase it's popularity too much and comparison tests like these will help to steer the uninformed buyers right towards a BMW dealer. Us in the know will have the pleasure of driving a superior Lexus product without having to see one at every intersection.

Quick Reply: Oct Car & Driver Comparison (0-60 in 5.1 seconds)#1 330, #2 IS 350// Scans pg 6