IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First Drive: IS250 AWD & IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-05, 03:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The average person could really care less about power numbers. In the end if the car peforms well to their standards, that's all that really matters.
I think that the majority really don't care about the performance of the car. They just want the bragging rights ("My car has more horsepower than your car...").

I mean, you can modify the car to get more horsepower and torque, but do you really want a loud, screaming, grunting Lexus rolling into your driveway? Or more importantly, will your girlfriend/wife/significant-other allow you to have something like that...
Old 08-15-05, 04:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

hp and torque ratings are one of the most important infos about car performance. how else can we compare cars? reason we spend so much money on cars is because we want to brag about them, we want to feel good about them... and one of the easiest way to feel good about sports sedan is to have a lot of HP... because thats what people understand.

80% of people wont understand when you tell them IS350 is faster in 60-80 mph than 330i, but when you tell them it has 50-60hp more, they will get it.

There is an good reason for all these measurments, ratings, etc, otherwise there would be no way of comparing the cars...

Would everyone be so excited about IS350 if it had 250 hp?
Old 08-15-05, 04:51 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not foget lateral g's. To me how well it goes into and comes out of a turn is what counts. A lot of cars can go really fast down a straight away but get them on a winding road and the siuation changes. It will be interesting to see if any of the big time magazines get the 350 with the sport suspension. My dealer thinks that option will be delayed until first quarter of 06.
Old 08-16-05, 12:20 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

still no review? ????? this is too much!
Old 08-16-05, 12:26 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DC52E55
still no review? ????? this is too much!

i wanna kick my monitor
Old 08-16-05, 03:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusLuver

i wanna kick my monitor
so much about that...pretty sucky if you ask me, obviously they didnt choose the right person to do it...
Old 08-16-05, 04:52 AM
swisslexusclub
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
so much about that...pretty sucky if you ask me, obviously they didnt choose the right person to do it...
Hey c'mon! That's not fair. I'm sure flip is doing his best to get the review out!
Old 08-16-05, 07:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swisslexusclub
Hey c'mon! That's not fair. I'm sure flip is doing his best to get the review out!
yes, I am sure he is trying to do the math on how to squeze one IS350 in his budget ASAP, but rest of us need the darn REVIEW!!!
Old 08-16-05, 08:19 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

yo. cut flipside a break. his internet at his house is down and it wouldnt be apropriate for him to write and post his review from work. read my.IS's review to hold you over.
Old 08-16-05, 09:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, I am sure he is trying to do the math on how to squeze one IS350 in his budget ASAP, but rest of us need the darn REVIEW!!!
spwolf,

I think you need to calm down a little here. I'm doing these reviews and test drives on my free time and am doing this as a favor for the ClubLexus community. I do not get paid to take time off to do this. Unfortunately I do not have the freetime like you do to spend on the internet. I will get my article and pictures posted when I can. It already hurts me not to get this up asap...and i'm pretty sure everyone is anxious as I am to get it up. Please respect the fact I have limited internet access until Verizon can fix my situation at home. If it was up to me, I would have had my article and pictures posted Friday evening, but all this is beyond my control. Your patience is appreciated.

-Ryan
CL Ed.
Old 08-16-05, 11:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

spwolf,

I think you need to calm down a little here. I'm doing these reviews and test drives on my free time and am doing this as a favor for the ClubLexus community. I do not get paid to take time off to do this. Unfortunately I do not have the freetime like you do to spend on the internet. I will get my article and pictures posted when I can. It already hurts me not to get this up asap...and i'm pretty sure everyone is anxious as I am to get it up. Please respect the fact I have limited internet access until Verizon can fix my situation at home. If it was up to me, I would have had my article and pictures posted Friday evening, but all this is beyond my control. Your patience is appreciated.

-Ryan
CL Ed.
little pressure never hurt anyone :-).

Kinko's still works 24/7?

:-)
Old 08-16-05, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok guys, let's be easy on flip. i know his connections at home are having some issues, and doing that from work isn't an option as well. i am sure he wants to post up his review just as bad as how everyone of us here want to read it. so just give it a bit more wait ok?
Old 08-16-05, 05:50 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
ok guys, let's be easy on flip. i know his connections at home are having some issues, and doing that from work isn't an option as well. i am sure he wants to post up his review just as bad as how everyone of us here want to read it. so just give it a bit more wait ok?
I was just teasing, I know to expect quailty work from Flip.
Old 08-17-05, 12:01 AM
IS JOE
Rookie

spwolf,

-Ryan
CL Ed.
I wouldn't let spwolf get to you flip. This is the guy who said "hp and torque ratings are one of the most important infos about car performance"

He probably won't understand 90% of what you write anyway
Old 08-17-05, 12:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS JOE
I wouldn't let spwolf get to you flip. This is the guy who said "hp and torque ratings are one of the most important infos about car performance"

He probably won't understand 90% of what you write anyway
lol, as supposed to...? HP and Torque ratings are single most important performance info about any car. Of course, there are other important things as weight, drive, gearing, etc...

but HP and torque is #1. Why? Imagine not knowing HP/tq of an car... you would have no way of knowing right away what kind of car it is.

For example, lets have several categories which ARE the most important:

POWER, WEIGHT, DRIVE, TRANSMISSION:

306hp, 3525lbs, RWD, 6AT

if you would have to pick one that you would have to know before buying the car, which would it be?

And yes, HP/TQ is very important on the track too, which is why 330i got outlapped by C350...

Quick Reply: First Drive: IS250 AWD & IS350