IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ask the Lexus Expert - caranddriver.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Looks like those that said the car had rear LEDs are the winners.
Old 09-27-05, 07:35 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

A) The new IS measures 180.1 inches in overall length (vs. 176.6 in. for the previous generation IS 300 sedan). It is 70.9 inches wide overall (vs. 67.9 in.) and the wheelbase is 107.5 inches (vs. 105.1 in.). The front legroom has increased by over an inch to 43.9 inches, while the rear legroom has increased a little to 30.6 inches. The headroom in the front is virtually the same as the previous generation IS 300, while it has decreased slightly with the advent of the IS’ new aero design. Shoulder room has increased in the front by nearly two inches (54.4 in.) while decreasing somewhat in the rear.

His use of the words, little and decreasing make me think the rear seating will be somewhat small. I wonder if it is smaller in the rear than say the E46? It's so hard when you haven't seen the car in person. But the way he decribes it makes it seem kinda small in the back.
Old 09-27-05, 09:02 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
His use of the words, little and decreasing make me think the rear seating will be somewhat small. I wonder if it is smaller in the rear than say the E46? But the way he decribes it makes it seem kinda small in the back.
Compared to the E46, the rear is quite smaller. However, the driver and front passenger seats are very roomy. The front seats are actually as roomy as the 2006 GS.

If you drive adults regularly in the back, then this may not be the best choice car. Might as well go for the GS or ES. Otherwise, if you drive alone most of the time or have children ride regularly in the back, then the IS would suffice.
Old 10-04-05, 10:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Q) How does the size compare to the new 2006 GS?
A) The overall length of the new IS is 180.1 inches as compared to 190 inches for the new GS. The IS height is 56.1 (56.7 AWD) and width 70.9 inches; the GS is also 56.1 inches (56.5 AWD) inches in height but 71.7 inches wide. The IS wheelbase is 107.5 and the GS 112.2 inches.

Q) Is the "Auburn Bird's-Eye Maple Accent" the only wood trim that will be offered on the new IS? While this wood trim looks great with the cashmere leather interior, I would think the "Black Bird's-Eye Maple Accent" trim from the new GS would look better with the sterling leather interior.
A) Thank you for your suggestion. The IS comes with a standard metallic trim, and the Auburn Bird’s-Eye Maple wood trip is an option. Our goal was to select dynamic trim packages that compliment the cashmere, sterling and black interior colors equally.

Q) I was told by my local Lexus dealer that the 17" wheels and tires would be very hard to get. The car will come with the sport suspension and 18" low profile tires. I was also told that the sport suspension is not harsh riding at all. Is this correct? I'm a bit dubious about this. I've driven sports cars since 1952 and I'm ready to be pampered. My main drive is a 2005 Corvette and my other car is a 2003 Lexus LS430. I'm a Lexus fan and I'm on my 3rd Lexus. I'll be replacing the Corvette with the IS350. Thank you.
A) The 17-inch wheels are standard on all IS models. The 18-inch wheels are optional on the IS 250 rear-wheel drive (not available on the AWD) and the IS 350—separate from, or as part of, the sport suspension package. While the sport suspension is tuned for increased responsiveness, we have not done so at the expense of reasonable comfort and luxury. I suggest test driving an IS with the Sports Suspension after the car debuts to see if it fits your needs and likes.

Q) Hello, currently I have a 2004 ES330 and I am trying to find out the difference between the IS350 and ES 330? Also, the ES330 is considered a Mid Luxury; will with there be enough comfort and opulence in IS350 to make me forget my ES330?
A) Both the ES 330 and the new IS (as well as the previous generation IS 300) are entry luxury cars. Both have the luxury attributes that you would expect from a Lexus. However, we have taken a different approach with entry-luxury customers and offer two cars that satisfy various needs rather than just one. The ES 330 anchors our comfort-luxury buyers while the IS will appeal to the performance luxury drivers. Each person should drive them, sit in the back seat, and check out the other thing most important to them before deciding which best fits their lifestyle.

Q) In terms of engine performance, what is the real difference between the IS 250 and the IS 350?
A) Both the 2.5-liter and 3.5-liter V6s in the new IS are all-new engines; in terms of engine performance, the IS 350 makes about 50% more power and torque than the IS 250, resulting in substantially quicker acceleration over a wide range of engine (and vehicle) speeds.
Old 10-11-05, 01:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q&A for 10/11/05

Q) Hello, I’m really interested in the new IS250, but I have several questions that have not been answered pertaining to the IS250. Do you have a price estimate yet? Do you have any idea when the release date will be in October?
A) Pricing in the U.S. for the IS will be announced the second week of October. The on-sale date for the IS 250 A/T and the IS 350 is October 17 in the U.S.

Q) Will the IS350 provide an on/off button, which will allow the owner to drive the car at its potential (turn off the VDIM)?
A) As someone who really enjoys performance driving, and also having raced rally cars since my college years, I understand some of your concerns about being held back from fully enjoying a car like the IS 350. VDIM is not a system that will do that. It’s a complex technology that operates more quickly and less overtly than other conventional stability control systems. Because there car is tuned to handle at its absolute best with the VDIM, it was not designed with an off button. The VDIM system on the IS 350 is programmed to allow the driver to approach the car’s handling limits before it employs subtle adjustments nearly invisibly. While being driven to it limits at Willow Springs Raceway in California, we had the car in a full four-wheel drift. I believe you will be pleased with the performance when you test drive it.

Q) Does Lexus plan on coming out with an IS convertible?
A) There are no definite plans at this time for an IS convertible, but the company continuously studies the various segments and model derivatives. If there ends up being a sufficient market demand, then it can be considered for the future.

Q) What are the fuel requirements (91 oct.) and what type of gas mileage do you expect?
A) Yes, 91-octane fuel is required for the IS. (Note: Gas mileage for the IS was posted in the September 20 Q&A.)

Q) Does is come with the SmartAccess/push-button start feature?
A) Yes, SmartAccess (which allows the driver to unlock and open the door or trunk without a regular key if they have the key fob in their possession) with push-button start comes standard on the IS.