IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ask the Lexus Expert - caranddriver.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-05, 12:04 AM
IS JOE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC52E55
Q) Does Lexus plan to race the new IS in America with VDIM permanently activated?
A) Yes, we're currently planning to enter road racing in the 2006 season with Team Lexus. We'll announce further details of our plans in the near future.

I edited the question with a better one, lol.
Old 09-06-05, 12:07 AM
IS JOE
Rookie

Originally Posted by Christian8
You guys think that TRD/L-Tuned will make anything for the IS, or that Lexus will make a performance division instead?
I heard that TRD will have a supercharger available in 6 months

At least thats what the salesman said about he is300 5 years ago
Old 09-06-05, 11:38 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q & A Round 5

Q) I love the car and everything about it. I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this, but I saw the video on Edmunds.com and they got 0-60 in 6.1sec however Lexus has stated that it's actually 5.6sec is this true?
A) The 5.6-sec. figure reflects our test results in controlled conditions. Regarding other companies figures, test results can vary based on temperature, surface traction and other conditions, so it’s better to see a range of results from several sources.

Q) How large is the volume of the trunk of the new IS?
A) We’ve increased the trunk space from 10.1 cu. ft. on the first generation IS to 13 cu. ft. on the new IS. It will come with a rear-seat pass through to store longer items like snow skis and an electric trunk lid to make it more convenient to open.

Q) Despite great similarities with the GS system, the ML system in the new IS only includes an 8" subwoofer. Why?? Was that decision for the 8" subwoofer made due to space constraint in the trunk?
A) As an audiophile myself, and a person who has built my own sound room and stereo equipment (which includes vacuum tube amplifiers from the 1950’s), I can fully appreciate the Mark Levinson system in the new IS. The eight-inch subwoofer was unique in that the motor (magnet) mount was inverted to decrease the space it utilized in the trunk. Although it is eight inches vs. the 10-inch version in the GS, the performance remains just as powerful and impressive due to the size and acoustics of the new IS cabin.

Q) The white headliner really looks weird in a black interior and the sharp contrast disrupts the whole black atmosphere and stealthy experience. What's the reason behind this? Is it part of an effort to cut production cost of the new IS?
A) The black and sterling interiors do share a very light gray headliner rather than a white color. High-contrast interior color combinations like black/light gray – including the contrast between the lower/upper instrument panel and headliner – are becoming increasingly popular and represent a youthful, contemporary look that is appropriate for IS image.

Q) Why have early reviews indicated that the IS isn't even close to the 3-series in the handling category?
A) Actually, most reviews recognize the new IS’ highly competent and confident handling, but some would like to see more feedback in some conditions—a very subjective area. Lexus intentionally puts emphasis on luxury – to minimize steering kickback on rough roads, for example – as well as sport.
Old 09-06-05, 11:41 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Q) Despite great similarities with the GS system, the ML system in the new IS only includes an 8" subwoofer. Why?? Was that decision for the 8" subwoofer made due to space constraint in the trunk?
A) As an audiophile myself, and a person who has built my own sound room and stereo equipment (which includes vacuum tube amplifiers from the 1950’s), I can fully appreciate the Mark Levinson system in the new IS. The eight-inch subwoofer was unique in that the motor (magnet) mount was inverted to decrease the space it utilized in the trunk. Although it is eight inches vs. the 10-inch version in the GS, the performance remains just as powerful and impressive due to the size and acoustics of the new IS cabin.

Q) The white headliner really looks weird in a black interior and the sharp contrast disrupts the whole black atmosphere and stealthy experience. What's the reason behind this? Is it part of an effort to cut production cost of the new IS?
A) The black and sterling interiors do share a very light gray headliner rather than a white color. High-contrast interior color combinations like black/light gray – including the contrast between the lower/upper instrument panel and headliner – are becoming increasingly popular and represent a youthful, contemporary look that is appropriate for IS image.
Woo hoo!! Finally, the Lexus Expert has answered my 2 questions besides the manual IS350 question submitted 4 weeks ago!

Thank you Lexus Expert for actually answering my questions. I guess I'll just have to believe in Mark Levinson's R&D and Lexus's marketing research that an 8" subwoofer and a light-colored headliner are indeed for the new IS's best.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-06-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 11:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sept 6th Post

This round was a little more informative than previous weeks.

Finally, Lexus has decided to answer questions that we've been asking about in the past months.

1) 0-60 speed: yeah, it's fast, no matter what anyone says...
2) Trunk space is larger (big whoop)
3) The smaller subwoofer: bigger is not better; bigger isn't necessary
4) The white/gray headliner is still awkward, IMO
5) Their reason for the VDIM: control is subjective; "handling is best achieved with the performance of the driver." But since most people are not sports drivers, the VDIM helps those in need of better handling (think of the time when Mom borrows the car...). They did not mention anything about trying to be like BMW, which is good, because the IS stands out as unique as the 3-series, not a carbon copy of it...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 09-06-05 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Repeat
Old 09-06-05, 12:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
=
4) The white/gray headliner is still awkward, IMO
This is really nothing new. This is how the headliner is in my old 2004. Black interior/ white/gray headliner/ a pillar accents.
Old 09-07-05, 09:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
5) Their reason for the VDIM: control is subjective; "handling is best achieved with the performance of the driver." But since most people are not sports drivers, the VDIM helps those in need of better handling (think of the time when Mom borrows the car...). They did not mention anything about trying to be like BMW, which is good, because the IS stands out as unique as the 3-series, not a carbon copy of it...
Mom can still borrow the 3 series without turning off all the safety gizmos
Still a non-explanation for no off-switch for the IS350 . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-07-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-07-05, 01:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Mom can still borrow the 3 series without turning off all the safety gizmos
I am a Californian driver, but I learned how to drive in New York City. I'm pretty aggressive on the road, and fly by most drivers out there. I would love an OFF switch for the VDIM. My mom however failed the DMV behind-the-wheel test 5 times, has run over a cat and backed up onto it, and has once stopped the car on a freeway on-ramp in Downtown L.A. because she thought she was going too fast around the bend. She NEEDS all the safety gizmos she can get...

However, she will never be allowed to borrow this car!!! (Sorry Mom, you're stuck with the Camry...)
Old 09-07-05, 01:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Bout time. Its a little better and the answers are a little more detailed instead of those damn near one word answers from before.

Now hopefully if we keep begging him for a manual 350 and a VDIM off switch then we might actually see it.
Old 09-08-05, 12:58 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look, we fully understand the business side of things. We understand technically "only maybe 5% or less" will choose an IS 350 manul it it was available.

Guess what, its this 5% that buys manual BMWs and M and AMG cars. And it CREATES a HALO effect that trickles down the range. The Germans have used this halo for YEARS. Its why a base 325 starts at 30k. Its why people buy Benz and BMWs without question, no matter the price. THE IMAGE of it, knowing you BELONG to a company that DOES build high performance cars.

Even BMW made a mistake. They insists of shoving SMG up peoples butts. Well the new M5 and M6 was to have SMG only, since BMW basically figures its better than a manaul and to hell with what people want.
Well there was HUGE backlash, and in their biggest market, THE USA. So they are in development right now to introduce a proper manual for both cars.

Don't build all the time what you WANT, build what WE WANT.

I love Lexus but this is a MISTAKE. They will NOT shrug off their boring car image to enthusiasts by offering automatics. Its not even a double clutch!! Look at the GS, overall, its still refinement over sport. That is the bottom line.

And it simply drives enthusiasts away. There is nothing WRONG with the Lexus approach, CLEARLY, its one of the best business approaches in HISTORY.

But stop teasing us. We have 2 excellent chassis in the GS and IS and the tradeoff of losing a few million developing manuals for the cars would have been NOTHING to the huge sporty IMAGE PUSH they would have gotten.

Besides, with a GS 350, IS 350 and this engine being uses in other cars, the expense could have been spread throughout the Toyota/LExus range.

There is a thread in Ferrarchat I was readign today, how technology, is just killing cars.

I read in a review that lexus expects to sell only10000 is 350s. 5 % of that is 500 cars. NO company that sells as many vehicles as lexus is going to care about the alleged complaining about lack of manual transmission coming from so few sales. car mag editors represent an infinitesimally small amount of drivers and a far smaller still percentage of BUYERS. this rant about 'enthusiasts' is in my opinion bogus as acrua proved with its old cl which was advertised as 'having a manual transmission' that nobody bought. adios cl and manual. bmw sees that the manual is going away and so does ferrari as their reps have said in interviews that in effect say 'not enough of our clients want this option'. in fact the new m5 [ or 6 ] is only getting a manual in the US because 'supposedly' american enthusiasts begged for it. lets see how that goes.

my numbers [math] are wrong. lexus projects 40000 IS sales with the ratio of 250 to 350 being 4 to 1 which means 8000 350s with this 5% figure [projected potential sales for manual] then being 400 cars. thats pitiful and clearly not worth the production.

Last edited by OneOfOne; 09-12-05 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-12-05, 08:48 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

ive got to agree, how can they say that they wont offer a 6mt in the IS350 because most of their sales are for the 250, and then turn around and say that they wont offer AWD in the 350 because the buyers want a true sports sedan with RWD... so the true drivers that want a MT have to buy the car with less power.
Old 09-13-05, 11:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Q & A round 6

Q) Good afternoon, I am curious about these 2 new V6 engines in the IS. Are they related to the 3 liter in the GS? Are they an upgraded version of the 3.5-liter V6 in the Avalon? Is the direct injection responsible for the significant improvement in power output over the previous engine and the other Toyota/Lexus V6s?

A) Yes, the new 2.5-liter and 3.5-liter V6 engines are related to the 3.0-liter engine in the GS 300. The block is similar to the V6 in the Avalon, but the cylinder heads and many other parts are purpose-built for the IS.

The direct injection system is partially responsible along with many other points such as cylinder head, camshaft and intake/exhaust manifold design.

Q) Will Mark Levinson sound options be made available to Canadian customers, and in IS250 trim levels? I plan on purchasing the IS250 RWD MT and would very much prefer to have the Mark Levinson system available....

A) Yes, the Mark Levinson system is available on both the IS 250 and 350. And it will be available to Canadian IS buyers as well. As a true music aficionado, I am very proud that we’ve offered this unrivaled factory Mark Levinson sound system with true 7.1 and 5.1 discrete audio. I also enjoy that it plays various types of discs: DVD-A, DTS, CD-Rs with MP3 or WMA files, and movie DVDs in addition to standard CDs. Don’t forget that iPods, other MP3 players and walkman-type personal players can be plugged directly into the sound system with a regular AUX cable.

Q) To many enthusiasts like myself, this was one of the primary reasons for purchasing the IS300. With the passing of the IS300 and previous generation GS300, the 2jz-ge will not be offered in any Toyota model. Are we ever going to see this engine, or one of its variants in a Lexus model again, or any Toyota model?

A) Although this engine has been great for Lexus, it’s based on older technology and is somewhat heavy. The new V6 engine is has been enhanced in many ways and allows better use of space in the vehicles as well, so there is little reason to resurrect the old engine.

Q) Can we take from the IS' design that Lexus is returning to an emphasis on aerodynamics?

A) Aerodynamics is always a priority in Lexus vehicle design, now more than ever. The contributions to fuel economy, road feel and noise, among others, will likely play an increasingly larger part in our designs.

Q) I found seats quite uncomfortable in the old IS 300 model. Would a driver over six feet tall be comfortable in the new IS?

A) Although seat comfort varies according to body proportions and other factors, in general, comfort for taller drivers should be better than the previous model, especially since there is significantly more front legroom.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-13-05 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
[b]A) Although this engine has been great for Lexus, it’s based on older technology and is somewhat heavy. The new V6 engine is has been enhanced in many ways and allows better use of space in the vehicles as well, so there is little reason to resurrect the old engine.
I just wish Lexus could have found a way to fit the new AWD system in the IS250 to the old 3.0L in-line....I probably would have bought one. ( though the mandatory 45-series tires in the '06 and the lack of a 55-series option like the old one IMO is an irritant...I don't like the ride that the 45's give ) That 3.0 was a wonderful engine..smooth, quiet, durable, well-built...just a jewel. The only significant problems were that it was hard to service for an in-line design, it used expensive 93 octane and got lousy mileage, and the rear-drive winter traction was lousy even with the electronics........ probably not much concern to you SoCal guys........and which AWD would go a long way toward solving even with the 45-series tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-22-05 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 09:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default 9/27/05 Q&A

Q) Will the IS 350 using VDIM be able to handle winter conditions or does it make more sense to go for the AWD in the IS 250?
A) The smooth and effective way that VDIM integrates the various systems that help drivers cope with low traction conditions make it an excellent companion for winter driving. But for those times when forward traction is hard to come by (such as ice and deep snow, especially in hilly areas), routing power through all four wheels with AWD can be an advantage.

Q) Do you have any information on the external dimensions and internal measurements of the new IS? How much leg, head, shoulder (etc.) room is available in the front and rear?
A) The new IS measures 180.1 inches in overall length (vs. 176.6 in. for the previous generation IS 300 sedan). It is 70.9 inches wide overall (vs. 67.9 in.) and the wheelbase is 107.5 inches (vs. 105.1 in.). The front legroom has increased by over an inch to 43.9 inches, while the rear legroom has increased a little to 30.6 inches. The headroom in the front is virtually the same as the previous generation IS 300, while it has decreased slightly with the advent of the IS’ new aero design. Shoulder room has increased in the front by nearly two inches (54.4 in.) while decreasing somewhat in the rear.

Q) I love the E-Shift feature on my IS 300, will this be an options in the new 2006 IS350 in the future? What's the main reason behind changing it to the paddle-shift feature?
A) The F1-inspired paddle shifters are standard on the six-speed automatic transmission for the IS 250 RWD and AWD, and on the IS 350. The paddle-shifters replace the E-Shift on the previous generation IS. I believe anyone who enjoyed the E-Shift on the IS 300 will really like the new paddle shifters. Mounted behind the steering wheel for comfortable access, they allow the driver to up or down shift easily without taking their hands off the wheel. The paddle shifters are one of two sequential shifting modes, along with the console shifter.

Q) Will the movie DVDs be displayed through the navigation screen and can they be loaded in the CD changer?
A) Yes, DVD movies can be played and watched (with the car in park, of course) with the available Mark Levinson audio system with the Navigation System. The DVDs are loaded into the 6-disc in-dash system and the images play on the new VGA monitor.

Q) Do the new IS's employ LED brake lighting or conventional lamps? I await with much anticipation the rollout of these cars in mid-October. Thanks so much for addressing these questions and I look forward to your reply!
A) Yes, the new IS has standard LED tail lamps and brake lamps.
Old 09-27-05, 10:34 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

I dont think team lexus will use VDIM for racing.. the engines are custom built for racing
they rebuild the race engines in England in a top secret facility and ship em here
My friend ships all the parts for team lexus.
I met the engine builder last week and he knows his stuff..
I might go back to team lexus wednesday to see the latest improvements.
theya re so behind on building the car. It was suppose to be finished sept 1st but theya re now aiming for oct 1st.

Quick Reply: Ask the Lexus Expert - caranddriver.com