IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ask the Lexus Expert - caranddriver.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 04:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Good opinion but we all have different views. Where did you find the C&D discussion thread for this?
Nothing spectacular, but its something.

http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/...?topicID=67210

http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/...?topicID=66997
Old 08-09-05, 04:45 PM
LexFather

Look, we fully understand the business side of things. We understand technically "only maybe 5% or less" will choose an IS 350 manul it it was available.

Guess what, its this 5% that buys manual BMWs and M and AMG cars. And it CREATES a HALO effect that trickles down the range. The Germans have used this halo for YEARS. Its why a base 325 starts at 30k. Its why people buy Benz and BMWs without question, no matter the price. THE IMAGE of it, knowing you BELONG to a company that DOES build high performance cars.

Even BMW made a mistake. They insists of shoving SMG up peoples butts. Well the new M5 and M6 was to have SMG only, since BMW basically figures its better than a manaul and to hell with what people want.
Well there was HUGE backlash, and in their biggest market, THE USA. So they are in development right now to introduce a proper manual for both cars.

Don't build all the time what you WANT, build what WE WANT.

I love Lexus but this is a MISTAKE. They will NOT shrug off their boring car image to enthusiasts by offering automatics. Its not even a double clutch!! Look at the GS, overall, its still refinement over sport. That is the bottom line.

And it simply drives enthusiasts away. There is nothing WRONG with the Lexus approach, CLEARLY, its one of the best business approaches in HISTORY.

But stop teasing us. We have 2 excellent chassis in the GS and IS and the tradeoff of losing a few million developing manuals for the cars would have been NOTHING to the huge sporty IMAGE PUSH they would have gotten.

Besides, with a GS 350, IS 350 and this engine being uses in other cars, the expense could have been spread throughout the Toyota/LExus range.

There is a thread in Ferrarchat I was readign today, how technology, is just killing cars.
Old 08-09-05, 04:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Well I just submitted my opinion above to the Lexus Expert. Hopefully we'll get a more insightful response next Tuesday.
Lexus really needs to understand how where they are in the image totem pole. They have to understand they REALLY have to go all out with a sports car/sedan, if they want to shrug off the luxury car, no sport image they have.

They build such INCREDIBLE and refined cars, it simply overshadows ANY sport the cars have. The LS 430 and SC 430 and LX 470, the top cars, are some of the most luxurious and best built in the history of the automobile, which trickles down to people who figure "LExus, mahn they build some quality cars". Thing is, they will never say "Lexus, they can build some real sporty cars" b/c the top of the range doesn't trickle down that way. Only the luxury aspect does.

That is why the GS is pretty sporty but in peoples minds, BEFORE they even open the door, they just hink its more luxury than sport.

The IS won't have this much of a problem but we are well aware of some of its shortcomings already.

At this point, STOP TRYING TO OUT BMW, BMW. Just BE YOU. Be LEXUS.
Old 08-09-05, 05:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sounds like ask Clublexus to me. We knew these answers already
For real, we dont need those "poiltically correct" answers. Well, i think that's all he can says.
Old 08-09-05, 05:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Now, since they are stressing about how Is250 is their core model and IS350 is not and IS350 would be only 20% of the market share etc etc... makes me think that they might jack the price of IS350 way too high.
Old 08-09-05, 05:20 PM
lex-matt
Rookie

Has anyone tried to register to post? I did, but it's been hours since I've gotten my validation email. ( I need it to begin posting) I want to show them my ideas for the next IS coupe.
Old 08-09-05, 05:20 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DC52E55
Now, since they are stressing about how Is250 is their core model and IS350 is not and IS350 would be only 20% of the market share etc etc... makes me think that they might jack the price of IS350 way too high.
Well let's hope Automobile is correct on the "estimated" pricing for the IS350 of $36,500 to $42,500 (hopefully loaded). That is a very reasonable price range.
Old 08-09-05, 05:26 PM
LexFather

Oh, with pricing, it will still undercut BMW. Make no mistake, they will sell every last one they can make.
1. Its a Lexus.
2. Its looks pretty good.
3. The interior is first rate.
4. It seems to be very sporty.
5. Good size.
6. Quality
7. Speed
8. Diff models offered
Old 08-10-05, 05:47 AM
dacarman
Driver School Candidate

Not to sound negative but I keep seeing the same comments over and over and now on the Q&A:

"Q) Why doesn't Lexus offer a manual transmission in the IS 350? Any plans to do so?
A) The IS 250 is our core model, representing over 80 percent of sales. With this volume, we believe the IS 250 with manual transmission (M/T) will meet the needs for those consumers desiring a 6-speed manual and provides a very competitive value. The volume of M/T sales within the segment the IS 350 will compete is very small, and we do not forecast enough demand to warrant production of a M/T choice for the IS 350. If the market should change, we will, of course, consider a M/T for the IS 350."

Here is what I dont get, Lexus expect to increase sales by over 300% of is IS line up and by the looks and specs of the car I see no reason why not. I do have one consern, to get to this goal they are depending too much on the IS250 and as mentioned above no manual will be offered for the IS350 because the IS250 is their core model and they expect 80% of sales to be the IS250. Here is my quetions to Lexus execs. Why 204HP for the core model you will mainly depend on to get to your goals? Why not at least 215hp or 225HP? That would have made it much more apealing and their goal much easier to reach, hey make it 250hp and you would have had a slam dunk in sales.

You would be surprised how an extra 15hp in the US power hungry market would help. Then the IS350 is really a low volume model for big car enthus.

Just MHO
Old 08-10-05, 08:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh, with pricing, it will still undercut BMW. Make no mistake, they will sell every last one they can make.
1. Its a Lexus.
2. Its looks pretty good.
3. The interior is first rate.
4. It seems to be very sporty.
5. Good size.
6. Quality
7. Speed
8. Diff models offered
And most importantly, SAFETY!!!

That is why Lexus did not offer an "off" switch for the VDIM. And as much as I want a manual and more control, I don't mind that this safety feature will prevent all those wanna-be racers out there from causing havoc in the streets, like Honda Civic owners .
Old 08-10-05, 12:01 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Past is Prologue

The marketing gurus at Lexus are still smarting from the IS300 intro. Back in those days the IS300.net forum was anxious to see a manual shift offering and the next year when the 5 speed manual came out they just sat on the lots and didn't sell very briskly. The SC300 5 speed was another nice car that was small production. Markets change and thankfully the new IS series has evolved into a Lexus inside and out! There are many parallels with the GS300/GS430 lineup in optional equipment. There may be some space limitations holding back say an AWD GS430. There may be further space available scarcity on the IS350 powertrain. If there are these technological hurdles then Lexus should mention them instead of using "market speak". I like the fact that the Chief Engineer for the 2nd Gen. IS was a previous rally driver. I doubt that he had any qualms about a manual shift from his performance driving background. Other nice touches are the high performance brakes and the newest VDIM ( a nordic au pair instead of a matronly nanny ). Let's ask the expert to come over to Club Lexus and go a few rounds......he he.
Old 08-10-05, 02:12 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Yes....Ge the Ninja over here and let's go some rounds with him. He's hiding behide that mechanical unuser-friendly message board.
Old 08-10-05, 03:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

p.s. 1sicklex - Manual AMG? :-). AMG takes pride in their AT's...
Old 08-10-05, 03:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

That's one of the reasons I regard BMW M cars superior driver's cars than the AMG's . . .
Old 08-10-05, 03:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. 1sicklex - Manual AMG? :-). AMG takes pride in their AT's...
I didn't mean to say that, my bad.

Quick Reply: Ask the Lexus Expert - caranddriver.com