IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What happened to the 2-door version?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 02:54 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Are we even sure that we'll have a hybrid IS yet ? with all this talk about a IS460 & also the hardtop convertible which they already made a concept car of . . .

I thought I remember reading something about Toyota wants to have a hybrid version of every vehicle they have?

That convertible concept was made long before the new IS was even drawn up. That's been out for a couple of years now, and I'm guessing they didn't really build off of it too much when designed the new IS.
Old 06-21-05, 03:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I thought I remember reading something about Toyota wants to have a hybrid version of every vehicle they have?

That convertible concept was made long before the new IS was even drawn up. That's been out for a couple of years now, and I'm guessing they didn't really build off of it too much when designed the new IS.
There have already been many unofficial info from different sources posted here about the IS350 hardtop convertible being offered in the near future, & believe me, the new IS was drawn up way before the LF-C since they're ready to produce it now for launch in a couple months. Note that the IS250 introduced this January is not a concept but already a car that's just about ready for production.

I don't dismiss the possibility of a hybrid version of the new IS, but I don't see it as necessarily a priority over the other versions.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-21-05 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 03:46 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

I don't dismiss the possibility of a hybrid version of the new IS, but I don't see it as necessarily a priority over the other versions.
Good point. Do you think these shutdown problems with the Prius's would delay the release of any future hybrids?
Old 06-21-05, 03:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Good point. Do you think these shutdown problems with the Prius's would delay the release of any future hybrids?
Haven't heard any updates on that, it could just be a software glitch ?
Old 06-21-05, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TSXtacy
Hey, Lexus is turning around. The new GS is fairly bold, but the new IS is VERY aggressive engineering. 310 HP out of a 6 beats the Acura RL's 300 for most out of an NA V6 (keep in mind the compression is higher, DOHC on the IS's, but still 310 HP ). Infiniti can get 298 HP out of theirs sacrificing torque and hooking up a 6MT to it. Lexus planned on making this a TRUE 3 Series fighter, unlike the previous generation which was simply brought because they had it in Japan and felt like bringing it over here.
I'm going to be nice If you look at the IS history, it was released in Europe and Japan at the same time in 1997. In Europe it was the IS 200, in Japan, the Toyota Altezza.

Lexus research indicated 4 cylinder luxury cars are frowned upon in America, so they stuffed the 2JZ engine for the American market and it became the IS 300, which also was sold in Europe.

If you read any review, the IS was the FIRST Japanese sedan to be a true 3 competitor with an inline 6, RWD and compact Euro dimensions. The automotive press raved over the IS, more so in Europe since they are more about the total car and not the "my car has more horsepower than your car" like so many people follow here. The IS 300 stock does lack acceleration performance compared to the 3 and clearly, the cars that came later from other brands.

Why did they bring the IS to America? 1. The GS was the first Lexus sedan to gather acclaim for being sporty but its starting price for the 300 was 38k to start, with most all in the 40k range, with the GS 400 in the high 40k/50k range. When the GS sold well, it showed that a sporty Lexus appeals to people. They looked at their charts and data and finally came to the conclusion that the ES no matter what they marketed was not sporty and was not being bought by those serious about a sports sedan. Its FWD with a V-6. But they didn't want to discontinue the car, since it sold like hotcakes every year and it found a target audience who wanted comfy entry level luxury.

So Lexus decided to go with the 2 car lineup attack with sedans. Sporty with the IS/GS and luxury with the ES/LS. I explained why we got the IS 300 and not the IS 200.

That is a brief history of the IS.

Old 06-21-05, 10:19 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ gotchya
Old 06-22-05, 01:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TSXtacy
^ gotchya
Glad to see u posting here

Old 06-23-05, 03:08 AM
IS300eR
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting perspective from you all, greatly appreciated, so, from a previous suggestion, there will be either a IS460 or the 2 door coupe? not both? or neither?
Old 06-23-05, 05:31 AM
Lvangundy

I'm pretty sure there's a 2-door floating around Torrance/Gardena. I saw two Toyota guys driving around in a short, unmarked, body panel covered car with new IS looking tail lights..

I'm pretty sure it's in development.

Old 06-23-05, 06:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

You sure that's not a Scion tC ? J/K
Old 06-23-05, 10:04 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
I'm pretty sure there's a 2-door floating around Torrance/Gardena. I saw two Toyota guys driving around in a short, unmarked, body panel covered car with new IS looking tail lights..

Nice!!... but next time, BRING A CAMERA WITH YOU AND TAKE SOME SHOTS DAMMIT!! I just hope the IS coupe won't be simply a 2-door IS sedan, but will look more aerodynamic and coupe'ish.
Old 06-23-05, 05:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

It's also possible it's a hardtop convertible coupe, not a regular 2 door coupe.
Old 06-24-05, 06:19 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

It's also possible it's a hardtop convertible coupe, not a regular 2 door coupe.
I hope not. I wish they just drop this convertable idea and just make a real coupe. I guess a lot of people like convertables, but I just never understood them. Making the convertable a hard top still wont cut it for me. The most I can accept is removable T top type roofs. Anyway, I guess I'm just more a biaded coupe fan Truthfully, While I still really want to get this IS350 and probably will get one for my next car, if the two door BMW E90 comes out and looks good to me, and the IS still doesn't have a coupe version, I probably would look to the BMW coupe and buy it instead. Basically, I really hope the IS350 gets a real coupe version.
Old 06-24-05, 06:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Same here, I certainly won't mind a hardtop convertible for a luxury cruiser but I prefer a regular coupe for a car with sporting aspirations.
Old 06-24-05, 11:40 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy

I hope you are not playing with my emotions because im so excited right now I might explode plus you just made me finally register for clublexus.com with this post so I could ask you if you a hundred percent sure you saw what you saw ? could it be the long rumored entry level sports car toyota is planning on bringing out? .. only time will tell I guess .

Quick Reply: What happened to the 2-door version?