IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS vs. TL/TSX, others

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 06:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G35_TX
With the wood it looks much better, without it, it looks as bad as a maxima. Cheap painted plastic. I mean come on Lexus they could put real alum.

No I haven't, but I have seen the pictures. Lexus last I heard doesn't use real wood either.
Bub, you don't have a clue. NOT A CLUE. I just checked all your posts here, they are either save Nissan or in some "VS" comparsion.
Please don't spread ridiculous claims. Every LEXUS has used REAL WOOD since 1990. EVERY last one.

We are not sure if its REAl aluminum or not, your just reading WHAT YOU want, twisting the facts and spouting things with no basis.

I am going to post a picture of the Maxima interior so you know how RIDICULOUS you sound.
IS

Maxima

You cannot be remotely serious.
Old 06-02-05, 06:55 PM
LexFather

BTW for those thave have not driven, been inside the Maxima, the plastics and leather are horrible, worst in class possibly. Its amazing Nissan sells these for $30,000. The interior is behind the 5th and 4th and 3rd generations in materal, feel and quality.
Finally Audi A4 (beautiful)

EVen the older version is nice

Now I just wasted 30 minutes of my time finding and posting these pics to disprove ridiculous claims. Mahn I am nice.
Old 06-02-05, 07:11 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now I just wasted 30 minutes of my time finding and posting these pics to disprove ridiculous claims. Mahn I am nice.

Yeah but it's people like you that we need around here to set the record straight.

...thanking 1SICKLEX, online....
Old 06-03-05, 02:23 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
I think the TSX and TL will be very important competitors to the new IS. Size wise the TSX will be very close to the IS but most likely the TSX will have slightly more interior room. By the time the IS comes out the TSX is likely to get a horsepower boost, possibly a turbo engine, and possibly AWD. The integra now has 210hp so the larger engined TSX will most likely get a boost in hp soon. The TL is a good deal larger then the IS with a much larger interior so it is not as close except that they both use powerful v-6. The TL could possibly get a horsepower boost and AWD so it could be an even closer competitor to the IS350. Both the TSX and TL handle very well and outperform many rwd cars and they both have very high quality interiors that come loaded with optionsso there is no reason to discount them as IS competitors.
I think the TSX and TL may get a HP increase later, but I doubt the TSX will go turbo anytime soon. Honda dropped the turbo I4 plans for the RDX because they couldn't find a turbo manufacturer with a turbo that meet their reliability standards. How high that stadard is I don't know. This was just a few months ago, so the RDX will use a V6 engine until they can work out the turbo issues. That means to turbo for the TSX either.

Also, if they put the SH-AWD in the TL, most think it will not be until the 2009 redesign. The 04+ style TL as it is right now is selling very well, so it doesn't sound like Acura will need to put the AWD in that car especially half way through its life. The redesign should be a 09 coming out in 08, so that is only 2.5 or so years away. I think the model can survive well with only a small increase in power. Otherwise it will get too close to the RL, unless the RL gets a HP boost as well which I think it will probably in year 3 of its life.
Old 06-03-05, 02:32 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Now that the engine specs for the IS250 and IS350 have been posted, I really stand by my first post that the TSX will be good competition for the IS250. IS250 uses a 2.5L V6 rated at 201 HP and 184 lbs-ft torque @4800 RPM. TSX uses a 2.4L I4 rated at 200 HP and 166 lbs-ft torque @4500 RPM. So, the IS250 gets 1 more HP, and 18 lbs-ft of torque, but comes on 300 RPM higher.

The IS350 on the other hand is uses a 3.5L V6 rated at 310 HP and 280 lbs-ft of torque. It has the TL beat that uses a 3.2L V6 rated at 270 HP and I'm not sure what the torque is. One thing the TL has going for it though is the 6-Speed manual which the IS350 will only come in automatic for now.
Old 06-03-05, 02:34 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the CTS interiror is average, I'd hate to see what's below that. I'd say G35 is average and CTS is below that. But that 6 MT in the CTS is great - I assume it will feel the same in the IS250.
Old 06-03-05, 05:39 AM
iatacs19
Rookie

I was in a loaner TL with navi and the interior didn't look that nice to me. Felt cheap actually compared to my RX330... I think the TSX's interior is actually much nicer and the finish and detail is much cleaner than the TL.
Old 06-03-05, 05:47 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

ZIP IT.................
ZIP IT AGAIN.................

Last edited by LexFather; 06-05-05 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-03-05, 10:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bub, you don't have a clue. NOT A CLUE. I just checked all your posts here, they are either save Nissan or in some "VS" comparsion.
Please don't spread ridiculous claims. Every LEXUS has used REAL WOOD since 1990. EVERY last one.

We are not sure if its REAl aluminum or not, your just reading WHAT YOU want, twisting the facts and spouting things with no basis.

You cannot be remotely serious.
My sentiments EXACTLY!
Old 06-03-05, 02:22 PM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Bottom line for me would be that between an IS250 and TSX it would be a tough choice,
Probably not for me!!! Because I'm planning on getting the IS250 later this year or early next year, and I already have the TSX. So I'll have both at the same time.

I also agree with you on how closely matched the TSX and IS250 are. Well, at least on the HP and torque numbers so far. Next thing is to wait for the pricing info on the IS250, then we can compare the two cars better.

Can't really say much about the comparison between the IS350 and TL because I don't like TL anyways, and IS350 doesn't come in 6MT......yet.
Old 06-03-05, 02:30 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vwong
Probably not for me!!! Because I'm planning on getting the IS250 later this year or early next year, and I already have the TSX. So I'll have both at the same time.
Ahh, now that pretty much solves the problem

I also agree with you on how closely matched the TSX and IS250 are. Well, at least on the HP and torque numbers so far. Next thing is to wait for the pricing info on the IS250, then we can compare the two cars better.
t.
Definately true about waiting for official pricing. .Im still in the camp that hopes the pricing will be very attractive, but its hard to say with Lexus pricing especially going off the speculated prices that we all have been discussing here for a while.
Old 06-04-05, 04:32 PM
RohithT
Driver School Candidate

The new 3 series' interior looks far better in pictures than it does in real life. Up close, that hard crease on the transition from horizontal to vertical looks pretty ugh-ly, and it feels real hard and cheap. They really took a step back with the interior materials. On the plus side, there's a standard Aux in jack for the stereo system, which is real nice, and the seats are ultra-comfortable, and the controls are fairly logical. But, if I were to buy a 3, I'd have to get iDrive (shudder) just so I wouldn't have that hard crease right in front of me. It's not as bad as some of the other cars in the class, but it's just not as good as it used to be.
Of the cars that are out (the only ones I haven't driven are the TSX and the Caddy), the A4 has by far the best interior. Everything is soft touch, high quality, and, intuitive, and substantial-feeling. The seats are just a notch below the BMW's on the comfort scale. The TL looks nice, but feels cheap and things were rattling during my test drive. Not good. And I hate Acura's seats: I just can't get comfortable in them.Touch-screen nav is a plus, though. I'm not a fan of the Saab interior; just doesn't do anything for me. Same goes with the Volvo S60 (though I love the S40's). The G35's... well, it's better than it used to be, I'll give them that. I like it better than the Saab's, though. The updated C Class is also a huge improvement over how it used to be, and is finally competent. Nothing special, mind you, but you don't feel like you're getting nearly as ripped off as you did before when you sat in it.
The new IS looks like it may give Audi a run for its money, but photos don't mean much. I just hope the seats are better than they used to– I've never been able to get comfortable in Lexus seats, either. I've driven a '92 ES300, an RX300, an IS300, a '01 GS, and current gen SC (the ES was my parents', the others belonged to friends), and I've always felt tired as all hell after just 60 miles and I even got leg spasms when I drove my friend's IS, so I'm kind of wary when approaching Lexus seats.
Old 06-05-05, 05:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Yeah but it's people like you that we need around here to set the record straight.

...thanking 1SICKLEX, online....
Your welcome, thanks for the compliment
Old 06-05-05, 06:02 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

that has to be the best interior shot of an IS i have seen yet, and SICK, i agree with you, i do like the maxima, my friend had one and its really nice, but although the interior is nice, it doesnt do that much for me, the surface isnt like curved or anything its like a sharp edge, its hard to explain, but its the audio/climate panel, and it has entirely to many buttons, and they are small, but of course if i had to pic between the IS350 or 250 for that matter and a maxima, im not gonna say which one i would choose because its obviuous. when i was first looking for my first car, i was considering the TSX, dont know why i didnt get it, went on got myself a toyota because this is a toyota loving family, my mom has had toyota/lexus vehicles since, who knows when, but my next trade in is an IS250, im saving for it and i hoping i will get it soon, if not an 02 IS 300.
Old 06-05-05, 06:03 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJL0365
that has to be the best interior shot of an IS i have seen yet, and SICK, i agree with you, i do like the maxima, my friend had one and its really nice, but although the interior is nice, it doesnt do that much for me, the surface isnt like curved or anything its like a sharp edge, its hard to explain, but its the audio/climate panel, and it has entirely to many buttons, and they are small, but of course if i had to pic between the IS350 or 250 for that matter and a maxima, im not gonna say which one i would choose because its obviuous. when i was first looking for my first car, i was considering the TSX, dont know why i didnt get it, went on got myself a toyota because this is a toyota loving family, my mom has had toyota/lexus vehicles since, who knows when, but my next trade in is an IS250, im saving for it and i hoping i will get it soon, if not an 02 IS 300.
I agree 150%. That is the best shot I have seen yet.

Quick Reply: IS vs. TL/TSX, others