IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New 2006 IS Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 06:37 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
The use of buttons instead of ***** is more upscale. ***** have always been more base-model. When you get the more luxurious options, you get the buttons instead of the ***** (see also: Volkswagen Jetta/Golf IV Climatronic, older Nissan Maxima/Altima cloth vs. leather option, etc). Although I do agree that ***** are a quicker way to get to what setting you want (My ES has to cycle through the vent placement settings, and there's no back button... blah) the buttons and and the integration into the nav screen definitely gives it a classier look. However, we have yet to see the 2IS (yeah I'm a trend***** now ) without a nav screen. The previous IS used *****, so we'll just have to wait and see if the new one does or doesn't.
Thanks for posting the pics, but I meant the E46 interior, not the E90 one that you posted.

As for buttons being more upscale, perhaps. But who gives a crap about upscale or not if the functionality blows? That's why I'm ambivalent about the ergonomics of the E90. With certain tweaks, like angling the dash/controls more towards the driver, I think there'd be a big improvement, but I'd have to try it out for a few days before deciding if the cleaner look was really at the expense of ease of use or not. Like I said before, I like the E46 interior, and so I'm sure I'd like the 2IS interior as well, but the lack of ***** really does stink. Besides, I think the E90 interior manages to look upscale with *****. The main problem is the cheaper look and feel and quality of "less upscale" models that incorporate those features, not the features themselves, IMO.
Old 04-27-05, 07:50 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

The IS interior does not remind me much of the E46.Only the steering wheel has the same shape.

Old 04-27-05, 07:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
The IS interior does not remind me much of the E46.Only the steering wheel has the same shape.
I agree, & I think the E90 interior looks even more outdated already than the E46 interior, I sat in one 2 weeks ago in the Auto Show.
Old 04-27-05, 08:07 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I never thought I'd say this, but the multitude of buttons on the E46 and MkII IS, while pleasing and perhaps more intuitive, are starting to look old and dated already. BTW, this is not intended as a bash, as I am, for the most part, a fan of the interior.

Also, the one thing that really irks me about the E46 interior, and what looks like Lexus has adapted for the MkII IS, is the lack of dials and ***** for HVAC controls. The E90 steps up in this sense, although it also steps way back down by adding iDrive (for NAV-eqiupped cars) and decreasing/eliminating the driver-oriented dash.
I would totally disagree with saying the E90 steps up, I think they went backswards in design with the interior, it looks way too flat straight across the dash, no sexy curves. I have a E46 and I still love the interior from the drivers view, the E90 is like going back to the 70's with that dash. It is all a matter of what YOU like, I personally could not live with the interior of the E90 because of this.

There are not that many button on my E46, in fact there all in the right place and do what I want them to do "when I want them to do it" quickly & fast. I don't want to spend several minutes adjusting the radio through I-drive when I can do it quickly myself manually on my E46. Also those humps bother me, I-drive you get 2 humps, no I-drive you get 1 hump. Just doesn't flow well for me.
Old 04-27-05, 08:33 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Okay, now that's the E46 but prior to the interior refresh, it would seem. I'm talking more with the MkV (IIRC) NAV screen.
Old 04-27-05, 08:34 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I would totally disagree with saying the E90 steps up, I think they went backswards in design with the interior, it looks way too flat straight across the dash, no sexy curves. I have a E46 and I still love the interior from the drivers view, the E90 is like going back to the 70's with that dash. It is all a matter of what YOU like, I personally could not live with the interior of the E90 because of this.

There are not that many button on my E46, in fact there all in the right place and do what I want them to do "when I want them to do it" quickly & fast. I don't want to spend several minutes adjusting the radio through I-drive when I can do it quickly myself manually on my E46. Also those humps bother me, I-drive you get 2 humps, no I-drive you get 1 hump. Just doesn't flow well for me.
Yeah, hate the flatness, hate the iDrive. Like the look overall except for that, though. I don't mind the two humper design as much, and since I don't have any suggestions as to how to improve that, I'm just not going to comment beyond that.
Old 04-27-05, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I agree, & I think the E90 interior looks even more outdated already than the E46 interior, I sat in one 2 weeks ago in the Auto Show.
haha yeah i can't believe when bimmer is going backward in interior design too, very weird....

the new IS interior looks sooo much better
Old 04-27-05, 09:36 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Thanks for posting the pics, but I meant the E46 interior, not the E90 one that you posted.
lol, sorry I posted that after 2 am, wasn't reading straight...

And yes, iDrive is probably the worst driver control system yet. What's amazing is they already reformed it once

My neighbor has an 04 545i with iDrive, and it's just too much to go through if you want to turn the temperature down, or change the station. THIS is what happens when you try to be TOO efficient.
Old 04-27-05, 06:12 PM
actham
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I think the E90 dash looks like an afterthought...the black inserts make the dash look like the one in my 1974 Mustang II with the aftermarket stereo! Maybe its just the light colored interior. I'm not a fan of flat black. It looks cheap. I don't like in the A4 either. Thats one of the spots where Lexus excels…even if it is just painted plastic.

As for the **** vs. button discussion, I hardly ever touch the stereo controls on my G35 coupe dash. I always use the buttons on the steering wheel. I figure the new IS steering wheel will have similar functionality. Love those wheel buttons!
Old 04-27-05, 10:08 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by actham
As for the **** vs. button discussion, I hardly ever touch the stereo controls on my G35 coupe dash. I always use the buttons on the steering wheel. I figure the new IS steering wheel will have similar functionality. Love those wheel buttons!
As convenient as that would be, HVAC controls haven't made it to the steering wheel yet as far as I'm aware...
Old 04-28-05, 12:25 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Phillip31
I like this pic
Do I finally see graphites??!?!
Old 04-28-05, 12:00 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

I like this pic better, more "real world look"

Old 04-28-05, 02:43 PM
5sp4banger
Rookie

Attached Thumbnails New 2006 IS Pics-youwish.jpg  
Old 04-28-05, 03:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here's Rikaro@my.is's rendition:
Old 04-28-05, 03:50 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

WOW that after shot is pretty nice looking.

Quick Reply: New 2006 IS Pics