IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Series Hybrid???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 07:52 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
My bad, I somehow skipped to the second paragraph after reading the bold text at the beginning . . .

I'm not sure Lexus should go further down market than the IS. They should make the 1 series competitor a Toyota instead of a Lexus IMHO.
Well, to compete with german sub-compact lexury cars such as Audi A3, BMW serie 1 and a possible Mercedes Benz, it is worth considering a baby Lexus, while the Toyota (Corolla today) would compete with Ford, Opel, Renault, Peugeot....
Old 04-15-05, 07:55 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Engines

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Diesel options for RX, GS & LS is a good idea for Europe, & they should consider diesel-hybrids, that's even better . . .
Well it is more than a good idea, the reason why they are not selling GS and LS over here is because there are no diesel engines available when most of Class S and serie 7 are ordered with suh an engine.

I've heard that some car manufacturers are considering diesel hybrid, but I can't remember which.
Old 04-15-05, 08:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TED_FR
Well, to compete with german sub-compact lexury cars such as Audi A3, BMW serie 1 and a possible Mercedes Benz, it is worth considering a baby Lexus, while the Toyota (Corolla today) would compete with Ford, Opel, Renault, Peugeot....
BMW, Audi & MB have no economy brands whereas Toyota cars are split into 2 brands with Lexus being the upscale brand. I don't see how they can make a good differentiation between the Lexus & Toyota brands if Lexus go further downmarket than the IS with a 1 series competitor branded as a Lexus.
Lexus should remain the upscale division, they don't want brand dilution.
There's already brand dilution for BMW & MB with the 1 series, A class, B class & C class coupe etc.
It maybe OK for BMW & MB in their home market in Europe, but not good for N.America.