IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 and IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 12:24 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS250 and IS350

What I'm hearing about the soon to be released IS is that the 250 will be available as AWD and the 350 will be the ONLY Lexus model offered with a manual (6speed) transmission. No AWD for the 350. Additionally, the IS will be available with every option that the current LS carries. Will post more when I know more.
Old 02-21-05, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
What I'm hearing about the soon to be released IS is that the 250 will be available as AWD and the 350 will be the ONLY Lexus model offered with a manual (6speed) transmission. No AWD for the 350. Additionally, the IS will be available with every option that the current LS carries. Will post more when I know more.
umm j ust like the gs huh, only the lower model has awd. but having 6 speed on the 350 is a good move

and damn, every options in the LS will be avaible on the IS? it's probably a good news, but probably a dumb one too if you ask me..... i mean, who cares about having a fridge in the IS?
Old 02-21-05, 12:28 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Additionally, the IS will be available with every option that the current LS carries.
An entry-luxury, sport-oriented IS with every option that the current LS, an all-out luxury flagship, carries??? Even the new GS isn't close.

No offense but you'd better check the mental stability of whomever you heard this from.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 02-21-05 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 12:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

. . . the IS will be available with every option that the current LS carries. Will post more when I know more.
Rear seat massage, mini-frige & air suspension too ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-21-05 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 12:47 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

highly unlikly. esp for the price range.
Old 02-21-05, 12:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will wait for further confirmation on the manual with the IS350, as this will be the deal breaker for me on the car. I really want the stick.

Can't wailt til March 1st to see the official pics.

I also highly doubt "every LS option" being on the IS. I'd guess it means more like Mark Levinson, Navigation, Heated/Cooled Seats (They could go for heated rear seats, but I don't think even the new GS has that), Rain Sensing Wipers, Active Headlamps, SmartKey, and MAYBE the Pre-Collision.
Old 02-21-05, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What . Additionally, the IS will be available with every option that the current LS carries. .
Johnny may have a point, guys....most of the differences between the current IS and LS are in engine and transmission size and standard equipment, not options.
He's also talking about the CURRENT LS430, not the next one. Of course, that also means the next LS will have to have AWD like the next IS.
To my knowledge the only real current differences are the Ultra-Luxury package and Lexus-Link, a Lexus version of GM's On-Star. Only time will tell if he is correct.
Old 02-21-05, 01:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Johnny may have a point, guys....most of the differences between the current IS and LS are in engine and transmission size and standard equipment, not options.
He's also talking about the CURRENT LS430, not the next one. Of course, that also means the next LS will have to have AWD like the next IS.
To my knowledge the only real current differences are the Ultra-Luxury package and Lexus-Link, a Lexus version of GM's On-Star. Only time will tell if he is correct.
one more difference, the price tag -- 30k to 70k
Old 02-21-05, 01:29 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Info came from...

direct from a Lexus Factory Rep when he was at Lexus of Manhattan last week, with the new GS. I asked about the GS coming in manual tran - and he said no the only manual will be the IS350 and it's gonna be hot....then he gave me the rest of the scoop as well.
Old 02-21-05, 01:31 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be very smart of Lexus to stuff the new IS with options like blue tooth, ventilated seats, etc.... Lexus is having the hardest time breaking into the small sport sedan market, I mean just look at the IS300 sales numbers for the last couple years compared to the 3-series or even G35. If they truly want to be competitive they need to go all out.
Old 02-21-05, 01:59 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I think it would be very smart of Lexus to stuff the new IS with options like blue tooth, ventilated seats, etc.... Lexus is having the hardest time breaking into the small sport sedan market, I mean just look at the IS300 sales numbers for the last couple years compared to the 3-series or even G35. If they truly want to be competitive they need to go all out.
If lexus can stay north of 300hp with the is350 with low 5 sec time to 60, they will kick butt on the 3-series and g35. If lexus can do that, I'll be trading in the 2000 es300
Old 02-21-05, 02:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Yes, "all out" but only for as far as a luxury-sport sedan is concerned. An IS will ALL options on the current LS added will weigh so much, there'll be nothing sporty about it anymore.

It would've been more believeable if he said the next ES gets what the current LS carries, and the next IS gets what the new GS has to offer.

Lexus has made it clear that they aren't gonna make their cars to be all things to all people. The IS will be a baby GS, and the ES will be a baby LS, each catering to a distictively different demographic.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 02-21-05 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 05:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

This is somewhat old news already. We heard this info back when Lexus & Team Lexus invited ClubLexus for a 3rd time to California Speedway for the Lexus Grand Am Cup Weekend. We were briefed by Lexus HQ Marketing Rep and Chuck Goldsboro about the new IS back in October 2004 and this info was reinforced in December 2004 from the Lexus of Glendale preview.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...iew/2474/1/10/

Originally Posted by flipside909
A handful of ClubLexus members and our friends from IS300.net were given a special preview of the next generation IS. The next IS will feature two new models, IS250 powered by a 2.5L Direct Injection, Dual VVT-i V6 which will be offered in a standard RWD and an all new AWD configuration. The IS350 will be the powerhouse which is scheduled to offer 300+ HP from the 3.5L Direct Injection Dual VVT-I V6 that is scheduled to have a 6 speed manual transmission variant. A sport wagon & hardtop convertible is expected to join the IS sedan in the line up. The exterior of the next IS will share styling cues with its larger sibling, the GS.
Old 02-21-05, 06:31 PM
actham
Driver School Candidate

When the lease on my 2000 GS400 ended, I jumped ship to a G35 coupe 6MT. I'm really more of a sport coupe sort of guy (thought I did love the GS) and fell for the G pretty hard. It is a great car performance wise...but does have some short comings. My biggest gripe is the stereo...a Mark Lev system would definitely be an IS350 option I would go for. Another big gripe is the amount of engine noise in the cabin. I hope the next IS will offer equal or better performance than my G and be a Lexus...meaning a high quality interior and a noise level maybe half way between the G and my old GS. The 6MT is a must, though. And I'll be waiting for the coupe/convertible. Actually, I hope they do a stand alone coupe...I fear the retractable hardtop will be too many dollars.
Old 02-21-05, 07:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

is350 with 6 speed stick is really appealing to me i could care less about mini fridge, massage, air suspension, laser guided cruise control blah blah blah and so on... just IS350 6 speed RWD is good enough for me.

Quick Reply: IS250 and IS350